Midiout DXi...

Author
xylyx
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2505
2005/06/19 09:39:59 (permalink)

Midiout DXi...

I am using this plugin as a way of using an mfx to keep the output from the arp within a given scale (using the method posted in the wiki), but I constantly get midi feedback errors and I don't know why, as I have disabled the midi input to the track containing the MidiOut plugin...any ideas?

7 Replies Related Threads

techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Midiout DXi... 2005/06/19 10:13:55 (permalink)
    Hmm...thinking through it again...

Lets start with a simple blank project to experiment:

1. Start Project5 and hit Ctrl-N to start a new blank project.
    2. My Edirol UA-25 was already selected as a MIDI input under "Options | MIDI" but MIDI Yoke 1 was not, so I added it.
    3. Insert a new instrument track with the synth of your choice.
    4. Insert a second instrument track with the MIDIOut Plugin.
    5. Change the input on the MIDIOut track so that it only listens to your controller on a specific channel (no omni for now).
    6. Change the MIDIOut output port to point to the first MIDI Yoke port.
    7. Change the input on your Synth DXi track to listen only to the MIDI Yoke port selected in step 5 and set the channel to listen on MIDI channel 1.
    8. Hit a key on my MIDI keyboard and boom, MIDI feedback loop warning then interfaces disabled.

Okay, let's try it a again:

1. Start Project5.
    2. Select Edirol UA-25 and MIDI Yoke as MIDI input sources under "Options | MIDI".
    3. Shutdown Project5.
    4. Start Project5 again and hit Ctrl-N to start a new project.
    5. This time I start by inserting a single new MIDIOut plugin track.
    6. I set the MIDIOut track's source MIDI port to Edirol UA-25 MIDI Channel 1 and I make sure my controller is set to transmit on MIDI channel 1.
    7. I set the MIDIOut plugin's output port to MIDI Yoke NT 1.
    8. I set the MIDIOut's "Send To" channel to MIDI Channel 1.
    8. I insert a Roland Groove Synth DXi track.
    9. I set the Roland track's MIDI input source to MIDI Yoke NT 1 MIDI Channel 1.

With Omni override set to the MIDIOut Track only I am now able to get audio from the Roland Groove Synth via the MIDIOut plugin and no feedback warnings. Worked fine this time.

See if you can do this same sequence with your controller, MIDI interface, MIDI Yoke, MIDIOut DXi, and the Roland Groove Synth. If you can then now you have a correct formula you can re-apply to the situation you want to create. I'll check to see if I need to correct the Wiki for errors.
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Midiout DXi... 2005/06/19 10:38:07 (permalink)
    Rob, I know that the MIDI Yoke route is a viable option, but it is somewhat limited and tricky, and there's always the danger of feedback is you're not set up correctly. If you're looking for certain options, that's the only way to go.

You might consider using the method laid out in X-Treme SFX 13 [EZ Harmonized Melodies] . It's a little more straighforward, and offers some unique options that you can't get any other way. I haven't tried it specifically with the scaleEnforcer plugin, but I can't see why you couldn't substitute that plug for the Transpose MFX that I use in that procedure. Look carefully at my followup reply there: the fact that the Arp scans each Track Layer in succession is a distinct advantage in hugely extending the chosen Arp algorithms in a constrained scale.

I'm working on a *top-secret* project that uses the method to great effect in natural instrument emulation. Once you're set up as described in the link above, you can toggle the MIDI Override [X] on the main track to limit the harmonies, or disable the Arpeggiator under MRC for chordal output from a single note. I'll soon have a more complete description up; that is, if this thing stops getting bigger & bigger. Right now, the tutorial(s) are part of a 'triple-feature'. HTH
    techead
    RE: Midiout DXi... 2005/06/19 10:55:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: b rock
    Right now, the tutorial(s) are part of a 'triple-feature'. HTH

Holy crap, Batman! A 'triple-feature'? Geez, B, you are one busy P5er! No sleep lately, eh?

This whole MIDI Yoke thing is interesting and you're right, it can be tricky to set up without those dang feedback loops.
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Midiout DXi... 2005/06/19 11:21:20 (permalink)
    A 'triple-feature'? Geez, B, you are one busy P5er! No sleep lately, eh?
    Too much, Bob; I've got the flu, and it's ruining me. Still can't hear a thing since the plane arrival, and I had to cancel the work that I returned for. As you might imagine, it also slows down the tutorial process, but my mind is still spinning with it.

I haven't gotten to the laborious error-checking process (or even to writing them down), but one section of the tutorial demands another explanation, and so on. Let me ask your opinion: where would you categorize a group of writings that include specific hardware tricks, general MIDI info, V2 feature crushing, a patch de-construction, MIDI Remote Control programming and a companion toolkit of device chains & example files?

Would it be better to segment each major category under a common theme in the closest section, forcing the reader to different locations? Or do you think that it all should be lumped together (yet demarcated) in one spot, as it is a logical progression from A to B? I'm afraid that the sheer volume might scare someone off, but I have to make it easy enough to get to all of the component parts to complete the procedure. TIA
    techead
    RE: Midiout DXi... 2005/06/19 11:40:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: b rock
    Would it be better to segment each major category under a common theme in the closest section, forcing the reader to different locations? Or do you think that it all should be lumped together (yet demarcated) in one spot, as it is a logical progression from A to B? I'm afraid that the sheer volume might scare someone off, but I have to make it easy enough to get to all of the component parts to complete the procedure.

I think you can do both on the Wiki:

First, have it all in related segments that flows from one to the next real well and yet can stand on its own--each in a separate 'file'. On the Wiki, we create a new main segment that just features all of this new content you've generated. It would be a new page that has links to all of the subordinate pages. This main page will be organized to allow the flow of these related segments--and it's all you, man, all you.

Second, on the various categorical sections we already have on the Wiki we place links to each of these individual pieces.

Thus, because they can stand on their own they should work well within the existing categories. Then with a master page for these pieces you can direct the user along your intended flow for these pieces in an inter-related fashion.

Plus, within the individual pieces, we can have "back-links" to the master page for them, as well as "next" and "previous" links so a user can follow them in your intended order regardless of how they got to one of the elements.

Seems to me this little extra effort can make it all fit together beautifully to make it accessible many ways.
    post edited by techead - 2005/06/19 11:45:23
    xylyx
    RE: Midiout DXi... 2005/06/19 13:03:02 (permalink)
    Thanks for the responses guys!

techead: I still get the feedback error...I have set no midi input for the midiout dxi (I have it set to off) and am using a different synth, but other than that I have set everything up the same and it's still giving me the error...

b rock: I'm hungry, so I shall try your method after I have eaten and report back with the outcome
    xylyx
    RE: Midiout DXi... 2005/06/19 15:49:30 (permalink)
    Right! Had time to play...still getting the loopback problem...dunno why.

Used b rock's method and it seems to work (I say 'seems' as I can't tell if the notes are right for the scale, but it certainly sounds right and changing presets on scale enforcer changes the notes, so I guess it must be!). Thanks!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1