Grandpa Mojo: v.2 "RKO Ether" playback probs

Author
agincourtdb
Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4753
2005/06/19 15:57:09 (permalink)

Grandpa Mojo: v.2 "RKO Ether" playback probs

I was playing Project 5 projects in v.2 for a friend (showing off)... after I (quickly) got through all my stuff, I played a couple of GP's demo projects.

RKO Ether (done with v.1) had a problem: the DS864 bank "RKOMan" didn't call the right samples, for some reason. (The spoken word samples don't sound, instead you get what sounds like an orchestral hit pitched at the trigger note ....)

Can anybody else reproduce this? I looked for the bank on the original P5 disks to overwrite it, but couldn't find it.

6 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Grandpa Mojo: v.2 "RKO Ether" playback probs 2005/06/19 16:58:23 (permalink)
    the DS864 bank "RKOMan" didn't call the right samples, for some reason. (The spoken word samples don't sound, instead you get what sounds like an orchestral hit pitched at the trigger note ....) Can anybody else reproduce this?
    I never played the sample content file before, Aggie, so I have little reference to compare this to, but I believe that's the right sample for "RKOMan". I do remember diving into the .dp8's early on in 1.x, and thinking that the RKOMan.dp8 was indeed a strange one.

I see that the .dp8 is mapped to several MIDI channels and outputs, and each multisample appears to be made up of 'vocal' samples (as labeled). The "spoken word" samples here all come through as audio files on tracks; one being "wv_Conductor", and the other "Applause" (and I guess the sung flourish "gc_Opera".) Don't know; just reporting what I found. Who knows what goes on in the mind of the Great Grandpa?
    agincourtdb
    RE: Grandpa Mojo: v.2 "RKO Ether" playback probs 2005/06/19 18:01:01 (permalink)
    The track in question is track 8, it's a DS864 track, and it's the source of the "I'd like to tell you about the strangest secret in the world.... men simply don't think."

I'm pretty Grandpa was showing the various ways you could use samples in your projects by using them all in his demo.

P.S. it works in version 1.5 still, so it's not an issue with the bank itself I guess, but rather v.2 is not doing something with it that v1.5 did, or visa versa.

Can somebody do an A-B v1.5-v2 comparison? (i.e., play the file in both and tell me if you hear the above line?)

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Grandpa Mojo: v.2 "RKO Ether" playback probs 2005/06/19 18:28:48 (permalink)
    The track in question is track 8, it's a DS864 track, and it's the source of the "I'd like to tell you about the strangest secret in the world.... men simply don't think."
    Wow; that is weird. 1.5 plays the file back exactly as you've described, yet V2 plays the exact same file back with the triggered orchestral hit. And it gets stranger: if you double-click the target patterns to bring them into the Inspector [Editor], playback reveals the same crazy behavior. But if you tap around the GUI preview KB keys (including the same note in the pattern), the correct sample plays back!

I thought for sure this had to be a MIDI channel problem, but I've tried all 17 possibilities on several instances, and all have the same results.
    What kind of Mojo is this ...?

Edit: It was a MIDI channel problem. In Track 8, change the MIDI channel in the Track inspector from Chan 1 to Chan 3. That matches the patterns, and all is well. One little caveat, though: I saved the corrected .p5p file to see how it would react in 1.5, and Doh!

[Post-it to self: Nothing is forward-compatible. Stop thinking that you can make it that way.] Anyway, it's a little difficult now to see how it was configured in 1.5, or if V2 somehow switched a setting. I done gone and 'rupted' it ...
    post edited by b rock - 2005/06/19 18:59:23
    agincourtdb
    RE: Grandpa Mojo: v.2 "RKO Ether" playback probs 2005/06/20 23:10:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: b rock

Edit: It was a MIDI channel problem. In Track 8, change the MIDI channel in the Track inspector from Chan 1 to Chan 3. That matches the patterns, and all is well. One little caveat, though: I saved the corrected .p5p file to see how it would react in 1.5, and Doh!

Nope... now it's playing the vocal samples when it should be, but it's also playing them when it should be playing the (IIRC) guitar hits. LOL. This is funny.

grandpa mojo
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 976
    RE: Grandpa Mojo: v.2 "RKO Ether" playback probs 2005/06/21 03:32:01 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: agincourtdb

I was playing Project 5 projects in v.2 for a friend (showing off)... after I (quickly) got through all my stuff, I played a couple of GP's demo projects.

RKO Ether (done with v.1) had a problem: the DS864 bank "RKOMan" didn't call the right samples, for some reason. (The spoken word samples don't sound, instead you get what sounds like an orchestral hit pitched at the trigger note ....)

Can anybody else reproduce this? I looked for the bank on the original P5 disks to overwrite it, but couldn't find it.

Gosh, what a loser I am... haven't been back here NEARLY enough!... Not even replying to threads with my name in it! :-)

You know... I saw this problem during the betas and told Jesse about it... He promised me he fixed it... - Apparently it wasn't one of the *higher priorities* during the shipping of the product! :-) - No worries...

Tell you what... I'll try and sort out the problem and post a new version on the P5 site soon.

- Grandpa Mojo
    www.grandpamojo.com
    agincourtdb
    RE: Grandpa Mojo: v.2 "RKO Ether" playback probs 2005/06/21 04:02:57 (permalink)
    hehe, no hurry... I just found it interesting. Although if it showed up in your track in could show up in other peoples, so I guess it is a backwards-compatibility issue they should look at.

wait... did I actually out a bug?? hehe

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1