Use P5 as a live looper / phrase sampler?

Author
CodePoet
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 39
2005/06/25 14:32:42 (permalink)

Use P5 as a live looper / phrase sampler?

Is it easy enough to set up P5 to use like say a Boss looper pedal to capture live loops, hit a pedal (MIDI triggers to indicate phrase record / stop) and record and loop your previous phrases as you perform live over them?

17 Replies Related Threads

CodePoet
    RE: Use P5 as a live looper / phrase sampler? 2005/06/25 16:49:59 (permalink)
    I set loop points and automated the record on/off to a midi control. Almost works, although you can't hear your previous takes until you stop recording and re-start. Is there a setting to play the track layers as they're being recorded? Or another approach?

puffer
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 836
    RE: Use P5 as a live looper / phrase sampler? 2005/06/25 19:29:00 (permalink)
    I'm not sure I have an definitive answer for you, other than to say I don't think it's currently possible. But there's real potential in this area: record multiple phrases to a track by toggling on and off the record button. I would imagine you'd need a pretty capable processor to make it work seemlessly.

digitallofi.bandcamp.com
    CodePoet
    RE: Use P5 as a live looper / phrase sampler? 2005/06/25 23:06:44 (permalink)
    Yeah, I can't find a real easy way to do it - maybe you could hit a combination of learned MIDI to pull it off. I figured a "live" tool would have this kind of functionality. That's good info.
    puffer
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 836
    RE: Use P5 as a live looper / phrase sampler? 2005/06/25 23:27:52 (permalink)
    What're y'all trying to capture? I'm fairly certain there is a way to accomplish what you're after. Our P5 fu is very strong.

digitallofi.bandcamp.com
    CodePoet
    RE: Use P5 as a live looper / phrase sampler? 2005/06/26 00:20:45 (permalink)
    Just trying to mimic a phrase sampler pedal - like a Boss RC20XL - set up a loop, start it up, punch in and record layered parts, repeat.
    CodePoet
    RE: Use P5 as a live looper / phrase sampler? 2005/06/27 17:07:59 (permalink)
    so is P5 not positioned so much as a live tool in the same way that Ableton Live is? I'd seen people to this w/ Ableton - just figured P5 would have it down by v2.
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Use P5 as a live looper / phrase sampler? 2005/06/27 19:39:50 (permalink)
    Just trying to mimic a phrase sampler pedal - like a Boss RC20XL - set up a loop, start it up, punch in and record layered parts, repeat ... I set loop points and automated the record on/off to a midi control. Almost works, although you can't hear your previous takes until you stop recording and re-start. Is there a setting to play the track layers as they're being recorded? Or another approach?
    I'm not familiar with the pedal specifics, CP, but it seems to me that you're looking for sound-on-sound capability. I've tried what you've described above, and you're right: it's more of a grab-bag of surprises without hearing the previously recorded parts. Interesting, but not there.

I thought that I'd share a couple of techniques that I use, although neither one is a 100% replacement for the looper. I'll use audio clip instances to 'pre-record' the first phrase, and then record over the top of that to another track. That's more of the building-block approach, and it doesn't have the sponteneity of doing this 'live'. You can stagger your offsets to any increment, along with some other advantages. But you knew that already ...

The second method involves multiple instances of the Tempo Delay plugin. It becomes one long delay line without a delay time limit, and you drop out the dry signal with the Mix control. Load one into a second Track, or an Aux Bus, and set it to the maximum Tempo Sync value of 16 (four measures), then set the Mix to 100% wet. Copy this instance, and paste enough of them back in to cover the range of your 'phrase' (the original track + 3 Tempo Delays total to span 32 measures, for example.) Set the loop in the Arrange Pane, and you're off.

Now when you MIDI Remote the Record button, you'll punch in & out, and yet still be able to hear the playback from the delay array. If you've placed this in a track, you can control the track level for your live input, and the 'recorded phrases' from the delay lines with the Mix, Level, or Power button. In an Aux, you might use the Send & Return sliders for the delays. Consider MRC or automation for these.

This 'looper action' isn't actually recorded until you freeze or export to .wav, but it'll playback exactly the same each time until you do commit to .wav. It's not a perfect emulation, but I thought you might be interested in an easy workaround that comes close.
    jardim do mar
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1247
    RE: Use P5 as a live looper / phrase sampler? 2005/06/27 20:59:07 (permalink)
    and record and loop your previous phrases as you perform live over them?

,,,,, the cyclone,,,,! loop record,, the loops,,, hear your parts,,,, triggering with your controller,,,,, then,,matrixize ,,, if ya only knew ,,, what i do,,,, with da cyclone,,,, the cyclone ,,matrixized is,,, power ,for performing,,,,,,,
    post edited by jardim do mar - 2005/06/27 21:12:01

marcella
    And Remember,,,,One thing at a Time.....
    Mike West
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: Use P5 as a live looper / phrase sampler? 2005/06/27 22:35:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jardim do mar

and record and loop your previous phrases as you perform live over them?

,,,,, the cyclone,,,,! loop record,, the loops,,, hear your parts,,,, triggering with your controller,,,,, then,,matrixize ,,, if ya only knew ,,, what i do,,,, with da cyclone,,,, the cyclone ,,matrixized is,,, power ,for performing,,,,,,,

por favor! tell us more? I'd love to learn more about how people use Cyclone. It's so damn cool but I really don't know what to do with it.

Glorph
    CodePoet
    RE: Use P5 as a live looper / phrase sampler? 2005/06/28 01:31:34 (permalink)
    Yes, tell us more. Is there a way to record your loop using Cyclone?
    jardim do mar
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1247
    RE: Use P5 as a live looper / phrase sampler? 2005/06/28 08:15:00 (permalink)
    Is there a way to record your loop using Cyclone?

,,,,indeed,,, load up the cyclone with your (acidized/groove clips) ,,,set your loop points in the arrange pane,,,, engage record in the cyclone track,,,, hit the metronome,,,hit record ,,and do your thing,,, you'll hear ,, what you recorded ,,, as it loops back ,, it goes on and on,,, after you have finished,,, the "parts " can be "tweaked " in the cyclone's interface,, or in the "editor" for added "pleasure" if you have another synth loaded, and you have " midi over ride follws current track ",,,,selected,,,,, and the synths record is engaged,,,,,, you can add some live playing to arrangement,,,,,,, on the fly as ,,it's looping,,, you "hear ,,, everything,,,,,,,,,

marcella
    And Remember,,,,One thing at a Time.....
    CodePoet
    RE: Use P5 as a live looper / phrase sampler? 2005/06/29 21:33:27 (permalink)
    I tried your instructions (best as I could read through all the commas), and couldn't record anything on the Cyclone track - it seems dedicated to Cyclone once it's on there. Anyone else lend a hand?
    CodePoet
    RE: Use P5 as a live looper / phrase sampler? 2005/08/26 18:51:27 (permalink)
    Back to this issue - Anyone ever figure out a way to loop audo live, ala a phrase sampler pedal? Thanks again.
    andreiko
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Use P5 as a live looper / phrase sampler? 2005/08/26 19:54:19 (permalink)
    May I respectfully suggest Angstrolooper (http://plugins.timeshard.com/angstrolooper/)? You would need to wrap it first and you would need a midi pedal to control it in real-time...

There is also Elottronix (http://www.uv.es/~ruizcan/p_vst.htm), but I would not recommend it from experience -- I could not find a way to shut it down...

CodePoet
    RE: Use P5 as a live looper / phrase sampler? 2005/08/26 20:44:57 (permalink)
    Thanks for the recommendations.

I had expected P5 to be able to loop audio in a live situation, but no one seems to have a clear answer.

SuperGreenX
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 973
    RE: Use P5 as a live looper / phrase sampler? 2005/08/26 23:20:39 (permalink)
    I thought that we had discussed this in this forum before and came to the conclusion that this is one area where Abelton Live has something P5 does not. I could be wrong though.

dgkenney
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 267
    RE: Use P5 as a live looper / phrase sampler? 2005/08/26 23:40:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: CodePoet

Thanks for the recommendations.

I had expected P5 to be able to loop audio in a live situation, but no one seems to have a clear answer.

I am just doing this from memory but I hope it applies. Before P5V2 was released there was a video demoing the capabilities of P5V2 - especially the groove matrix. Immediately after the video was released there was a "correction" issued by Cakewalk regarding the implied concept of draging clips into the groove matrix in real time without stopping the audio engine - namely that if could NOT be done with audio. The pseudo-technical explanation was something along the lines of the audio really doesn't exist until the audio engine is stopped.

While this was directed towards the use of the groove matrix, my guess is that it is similar enough to your question to offer some insight. At this point of P5V2's evolution it does not seem to be able to record and loop audio in real time without a break in the action. As SupergreenX pointed out Live can do this but it should come as no surpirse since it started out as an audio program and added midi over time. P5V2 has midi capabilities that outshine Live's but then again it started as a midi program and has just recently added audio. Different horses for different courses.

If I am incorrect in this I am sure someone will set it straight

Dan
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1