not recording

Author
Deborah52288
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
2005/06/29 14:45:53 (permalink)

not recording

I just bought the cakewalk music creator pro and followed directions and set everything up. I hooked the in and out midi cables opposite, I went to options-MIDI Devices, and checked the Input device list and made sure that the MIDI input on the computer sound card was highlighted. I did everything right to try to record, but when im recording the sound is coming from the piano speakers and not the computer speakers, and it starts recording but i get no metronome sound and when I finish recording it shows on the screen that its as if i pressed record and didnt play anything at all its just blank. I checked the MIDI Input/Output Activity monitor on the Windows Status bar, but the left LED is not flashing red, so I know thats a problem, but I dont know what to do to fix it. Please help......thanx

3 Replies Related Threads

Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: not recording 2005/06/29 19:12:34 (permalink)
    Okay basics. Make sure that the output cable from the keyboard is to the input cable on the sound card, then check and see what is listed in the track view of the midi track you are recording to.What are your options? Also what midi channel is the keyboard trnsmitting on and what channel is the midi track receiving? Both need to be set to the same channel. tracks numbers and channel numbers are not the same thing a track is just that a holding place for music, but midi has 16 channels and that is part of it's data stream.
    Deborah52288
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: not recording 2005/06/29 21:14:51 (permalink)
    Well, I dont know exactly what to set the in chanel to or how to find out what im supposed to set it to, so i just have it set on 1........and the out one I have set to 1-USB Audio Device......the other options for this one are 2-creative SoundFont Synth, and 3-Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth.......I still dont know what to do........HELP!
    Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: not recording 2005/06/30 01:34:34 (permalink)
    Channels are used to route midi information to tracks, or synths. Lets say you have 5 tracks of midi on track one you have drums, track 2 has piano, track 3 has bass, track 4 guitar, track 5 synth strings. Now in midi channel 10 is almost allways drums, so you are running the drum track thru midi drum machine, the output of track 1 is channel 10, and the midi drum machine is set to recieve channel 10, track 2 is playing thru the piano sample in sampletank 2 free, so track 2 outputs on channel 1 and sample tank's channel 1 has a piano sample loaded in to, track 3 plays to your keyboard, so you choose channel 2 and set the out put as that and the keyboards channel 2 is set to play the bass patch, all 5 tracks could go to the keyboard, as long as you set the outputs to go there and also the channels are set and the recieving device or synth has corresponding channels set to play the patches that you want, it is really up to you. with one exception drums are almost allways on channel 10, Just think of the channels as internal routings, I hope that helps
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1