DA FINAL MIX DOWN!!HELP?

Author
fontinh@yahoo.com
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
2005/06/30 09:20:49 (permalink)

DA FINAL MIX DOWN!!HELP?

So, I have about 8 tracks of great audio...2 vox, bass, 2 guitars, piano, drums......

My questions are complex, but i need help-

First, when i open a new project, i usually do a blank one and add tracks.....
In order to organize a mix down, no midi involved, should i use like the 8 track option, or studio mixer option? Does it give a head start on setting track parameters and effects?

Second, i usually highlight a track and add an effect, but i noticed one can add that same effect in the mixing panel on the left, and even have more flexibility and control, i don't however understand the aux 1 and aux 2...is it necesary for the effects...is it like left and right? What track would the effect manifest itself in, in terms of recording mixdown? Are there any "must use" effects for certain instruments?

Third, i sometimes mix down manually by sending a chord from the computer to a fostex line in recorder, then convert that to wave file, is it possible to get a final mixdown by exporting the project to wave....will it account for the forementioned effects, and other changes, will it basically sound as it does when playing the project in cakewalk? any tips?

its a lot, but i am working hard and i think reinventing some wheels,

thanks,
fontinha

4 Replies Related Threads

bargainboy1
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: DA FINAL MIX DOWN!!HELP? 2005/06/30 10:41:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: fontinh@yahoo.com

So, I have about 8 tracks of great audio...2 vox, bass, 2 guitars, piano, drums......

My questions are complex, but i need help-

Yep, you're asking a lot.......

First, when i open a new project, i usually do a blank one and add tracks.....
    In order to organize a mix down, no midi involved, should i use like the 8 track option, or studio mixer option? Does it give a head start on setting track parameters and effects?

No, how you're doing it is fine. The other selections are templates that essentially give you a set number of tracks for you to use (8 Track gives you 8 tracks). Some of the templates have preset pans, but you can easily change the pans in your tracks - you don't need the presets.

As far as mixdown, the templates don't give you any preselected track parameters or effects. Mix how you like.

Second, i usually highlight a track and add an effect, but i noticed one can add that same effect in the mixing panel on the left, and even have more flexibility and control, i don't however understand the aux 1 and aux 2...is it necesary for the effects...is it like left and right? What track would the effect manifest itself in, in terms of recording mixdown? Are there any "must use" effects for certain instruments?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "mixing panel on the left," but I'll explain two ways of adding effects to a track.

First, you can add an effect directly to a track by putting it in the FX bin on the track. However; MC only lets you use up to 8 (maybe it's 10, I can never remember) FX per project. So, if you want to add reverb to 3 tracks, say Track 1 (heavy verb), track 3 (moderate verb), and Track 5 (slight verb) just throw a verb in each FX bin and set the verb how you like it. Unfortunately, you just used 3 FX slots.

A more efficient way to get reverb into the 3 tracks is to add one reverb effect to an Aux channel bin. Then, send the signals from Tracks 1, 3, and 5 to the Aux channel. The reverb is added and then the signal is returned to the track from which it originated. You change the amount of reverb (heavy, moderate, or slight) by only sending and returning a percentage of the original signal to/from the Aux channel. In this scenario, you only use one of your FX slots. In terms of mixdown, the effect is applied to the track that the signal originated from. If you are a guitar player, the aux channels operate similar to an effects loop on your amp.

As far as "must use" effects, not really. You can use a chorus or delay to thicken vocals or other instruments, reverb to add depth to instruments, or EQ to add punch or shape instrument sounds. There is a useful link in the Techniues forum that you can find HERE. You should spend some time looking the thread over. Most importantly, though, USE YOUR EARS.

Third, i sometimes mix down manually by sending a chord from the computer to a fostex line in recorder, then convert that to wave file, is it possible to get a final mixdown by exporting the project to wave....will it account for the forementioned effects, and other changes, will it basically sound as it does when playing the project in cakewalk? any tips?

Yes, you can get a final mixdown by exporting the project to wave. To do this select FILE-->EXPORT AUDIO. The Export Audio popup box will appear. Make sure you save the file as a .wav in the dropdown box. Also, there is a list with a bunch of buttons next to each item in the list. I think the buttons are all checked by default. The buttons should be checked so all your settings, the effects, panning envelopes, volume envelopes, etc. are added. Make sure whatever items you need in the final mixdown are checked. Don't worry if you goof something up during exporting - you can open the MC file and just export again. The .wav file will sound exactly like the MC file.

Good luck and have fun!

Jeff
    fontinh@yahoo.com
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: DA FINAL MIX DOWN!!HELP? 2005/06/30 12:31:48 (permalink)
    wow,
    thank you for the in depth advice, you answered a lot of questions i have had for a while, i am a musician pretending to be a technician......

while on the aux topic,
    what is the easiest way to set up an aux channel?

i noticed some presets have them already.........

thanks again for a lot to experiment with............

in the effects, there are the cakewalk ones, then the D__something, its an oscilator???

any thoughts?
    is this mostly for midi stuff?

fontinha
    bargainboy1
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: DA FINAL MIX DOWN!!HELP? 2005/07/02 01:00:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: fontinh@yahoo.com

while on the aux topic,
    what is the easiest way to set up an aux channel?

i noticed some presets have them already.........

thanks again for a lot to experiment with............

in the effects, there are the cakewalk ones, then the D__something, its an oscilator???

any thoughts?
    is this mostly for midi stuff?

fontinha

There is no easiest way to set up an Aux - just an easy way. Open the Aux channel, insert your effect in the FX bin, set your effect up, route the signal to the aux, and send it back. Send and return as much or as little of the signal that you want. That's pretty much it.

If you don't see the Aux busses, you need to put your mouse cursor over the each of the buttons at the top of the track pane. A little box describing what the box does will pop up after a second or two of the cursor sitting on top of it. One of the boxes is for showing and hiding tracks - click on that one. Another box will pop up - make sure that there is a check mark next to Aux, Aux 1, and Aux 2 (or something like that). Hit OK. The Aux channels should pop up below your tracks.

As far as effects, Cakewalk comes packaged with some effects for Midi and some for audio. I don't know what the D___ thing-a-ma-jig is. Anyway, you can apply the audio effects to your audio tracks and the MIDI effects to your MIDI tracks.

Robomusic, Millerbill, Marcel, or someone else that uses MIDI a lot more than I do (essentially, once in a blue moon) will have to let you know if you can apply audio effects to a MIDI track after it's passed through a soft synth in an audio track.
    post edited by bargainboy1 - 2005/07/02 01:04:23

Jeff
    Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: DA FINAL MIX DOWN!!HELP? 2005/07/02 01:49:02 (permalink)
    A basic rule of thumb is to use the aux busses to process a couple basic Fx to the whole mix giving you the ability to tailor how much each track gets. I do it like this place a track compressor on the main buss, because it want a gentle compression on the whole mix, then i place reverb in aux buss 1 and EQ in Aux buss 2 then i send the track to the busses as i feel sounds good. The pre - post, button allows you to chose whether you want to send the track pre or post of the fader.

I have found the aux busses in MC to be very subtle, where in other programs it can be rather ... well unsubtle.

This is really where mastering happens, i do not use a mastering software, unless i have a problem with a track, as far as sending to a fostex, that would seem to be a waste of effort and migt even introduce noise into the mix, everything you want to do can be done in cakewalk, with one exception, the effects that come with MC are rather simple there are far better one out there, even some for free, the classic series is very nice for free, but you will need to get a VST wrapper to use them.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1