MC FREEZES

Author
Andyfred
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2005/07/07 13:45:33 (permalink)

MC FREEZES

From ANDYFRED

I have a problem with freezing, perhaps similar to that of MegaTony. I had MC 2003 installed in my computer for about two years, and working OK. I then had the hard disk replaced and the system reconfigured. Subsequently I ordered from Cakewalk, received, and installed MC II 2003 in my computer. My computer is a Pentium III, 870 MHz, running Windows XP Professional, MS Firewall, MS Messenger 7.0 , AOL with firewall, MS Office, MS Explorer, MacAfee protection, Logitech camera, Microsoft Publisher, Nero Express, Adobe Photoshop Elements, Adobe Reader 7.0. My sound card is the Intel Integrated Audio. The keyboard is a Technics SX-PX222.

After installing MC 2, I opened some files with music previously created with MC2003. They all played OK, but when I stopped them, the program froze. I could not resume playing, "rewind" or fast-forward. Had to close the program.

After that, I reopened MC 2 and recorded a new segment (the first recording action after installation). It played back OK, and I could stop, move back or forward without any problems. I filed this new piece and closed the program. When re-opening the program, I opened the just-saved piece and it played OK, but now, as with the older files, it froze after I stopped. I could not restart the music or go back or forward. I could not do anything else with program, except close it (and it took several seconds before it disappeared after clicking on the "this program is not responding" button).

I then removed MC 2 and re-installed NC 2003, which, as mentioned, I had been using for a couple of years before moving up to MC 2. The results were the same: records OK, plays back OK, can stop and go back and forth, resume playing. But then after saving the file and reopening, it, as with MC 2, it could play but froze after trying to stop of move.

So, I agree: I might have a conflict "somewhere", as Robomusic said to MegaTony. But where? Does the above and other accumulated experience from the Forum readers suggest any specific action?

Many thanks.

2 Replies Related Threads

Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: MC FREEZES 2005/07/07 14:04:55 (permalink)
    Problems lke this can be the proverbial needle in a haystack, but let's try a few things. First you have a butt load of protection software, could it be that some of them are not happy with one another, try turning off all the firewalls, and antivirus programs, even mcAfee. then try.

Next how much ram do you have, and is XP new to this system? because if you upgraded from 98 to XP, you might be light on ram, XP will eat up at least 128 of ram and my old PIII system had 256 and still was starving for ram with XP.

Next you need to check your IRQ addresses, they can be in conflict. I had a problem after I built my new system, where my sound card and video card were on the same IRQ, and that caused lots of issues.
    millerbill
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1085
    RE: MC FREEZES 2005/07/07 18:05:10 (permalink)
    If still having problems carefully try what Cakewalk tech support recommends for a fairly clean reinstall on all of their products.

Install new drivers
    Download and install the latest drivers for all your soundcards, MIDI interfaces, and video cards. Run wave profiler. Once done, proceed to step number 2 below.

Delete initialization files

Choose Start | Find | Files or Folders, and change the Look In to the drive where Cakewalk is currently installed.
    Next type in the file name TTSAUDDX.INI or CW9AUDDX.INI , [all files may not be found] and hit Find Now.
    Left Click on the file's icon once to select it and press delete on your keyboard.
    Go back to Find | Files or Folders, and type TTSSEQ.INI.
    Delete this file as well.

Disable SoundFont Manager - [if available - see next lines]

Locate the file SFMAN32.DLL in your Windows directory and rename it SFMAN32.OLD.
    Restart the computer and try Cakewalk again.
    Find and Delete Normal.tpl

Locate and delete the file NORMAL.TPL from the Cakewalk directory, then relaunch Cakewalk.

Registry clean and reinstall of Cakewalk

If none of the above steps resolve the problem, proceed to the steps outlined below.

Scan Disk
    Run ScanDisk on all the hard drives used in your computer. Allow ScanDisk to complete a thorough scan.

Uninstall Cakewalk
    Next, you should completely un-install Cakewalk from your computer (this will not remove any of your files or data). This can be done by choosing Start | Programs | Cakewalk | (your version of Cakewalk) | Uninstall Cakewalk.

To make sure nothing else is running while installing Cakewalk in the final step, choose Start | Run and type MSCONFIG. Click OK, choose Selective Startup, then uncheck the Load Startup Group Items box. Click OK, and restart Windows. You can always recheck that box at a later time. Restart your computer.

Registry Clean

Click the Windows Start Button and select Run. At the prompt type REGEDIT and click OK.
    Backup your Registry before making edits - you do this by clicking the Registry menu, Export Registry File.
    Now delete the following Registry keys
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software
    Reinstall Cakewalk
    Restart your computer, then reinstall Cakewalk and any updates.

This should eliminate any software irregularities that are causing your problem.
    [IF it is software irregularities from multiple installs.]
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1