Does TC electronics power core plug in system work well with Sonar?

Author
jlgrimes
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1639
2005/07/08 18:22:06 (permalink)

Does TC electronics power core plug in system work well with Sonar?

How does this work in Sonar compared to Uad card.

12 Replies Related Threads

tor
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 852
    RE: Does TC electronics power core plug in system work well with Sonar? 2005/07/09 10:04:59 (permalink)
    I've been using Powercore for over a year now, never had the slightest problem. It performs brilliantly!!
    Heard some have had problems with the UAD, though it has more users so the percentage with problems might not might not be bigger than for Powercore users.
    I guess you could say that they are very similar........
    pdarg
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2265
    RE: Does TC electronics power core plug in system work well with Sonar? 2005/07/09 10:17:07 (permalink)
    Hey tor - how would you rate the ClassicVerb reverb on the PowerCore? How does it compare to - say - the LExicon Pantheon or Sonitus?
    tor
    RE: Does TC electronics power core plug in system work well with Sonar? 2005/07/09 10:40:58 (permalink)
    In my opinion, the reverbs are where Powercore is better than UAD, while UAD seems to have better compression tools.
    At least it sounds like that at my friends studio, he uses UAD in a Cubase SX3 studio.........
    The Powercore reverbs are almost incomparable to Lexicon Pantheon or Sonitus, as it runs on a dedicated processor, it can
    get away with heavier algorithms and such, so I guess it will be unfair to Sonitus and Lexicon
    But: Powercore Classicverb is much richer, transparent and sonially much closer to natural reverb than Pantheon and Sonitus, at least in my ears.
    However, I would also rate Sonitus above Pantheon, they're fantastic tools too, but if you want even higher quality plug-ins,
    an add-on card like Powercore or Uad is highly recommended.
    Haven't looked back once since I first got the Powercore..
    Alndln
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1275
    RE: Does TC electronics power core plug in system work well with Sonar? 2005/07/09 10:57:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: tor

It performs brilliantly!!
    no problems with freeze?
    agreatheight
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 368
    RE: Does TC electronics power core plug in system work well with Sonar? 2005/07/09 14:47:02 (permalink)
    The TC Power Core worked fine for me when I had it - no problems at all. However, I didn't think the plugs were all that great so I got a UAD-1 card instead. Tor is right, the UAD card does have more problems, but they are well documented and fairly easy to work around. The thing is the UAD card, imho, kicks the Power Core's hiney. The compression plugs of the UAD are simply awesome, as are the eq plugs. I'll agree the reverb is a 'bit' better on the Power Core, but the Dream Verb on the UAD is nothing to sneeze at (although I often just use the Sonitus verb to save myself the processing space on the UAD - I'm not much for reverb, I try to use it sparingly). I also love the UAD's Mastering EQ and Precision Limiter - truly excellent mastering tools.

But to each their own, there are lots of users who love the Power Core - liking plug-ins is similar to liking bands, it's mostly opinion and preference. And I certainly understand not wanting to install a card - the firewire connection is very cool.

Good luck!

wish i was ocean size, no one moves you no one even tries...

Eric Hartmann
    agreatheight@msn.com
    psi777
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: Does TC electronics power core plug in system work well with Sonar? 2005/07/09 15:10:56 (permalink)
    I don't really agree with most folks on this board who seem to feel that UAD plugs are better across the board. The two companies are taking two very different approaches to the plugs they develop...UAD is amazing at emulating analoge hardware units which give substantial amounts of color to anything they touch, and PoCo generally aims for more transparent/digital sounds. There is some AMAZING stuff that runs only under PoCo, including the Sony Oxford and System 6000 stuff...but price-wise they are aimed much more at working studios than home users.

Anyway, I have both, and my head might explode if you told me I had to get rid of one or the other.

Oh, and to answer the topic question: yes, PoCo works great under Sonar, as opposed to UAD cards which will leave you walking on eggshells every time you start to load them in....which is why I do my mixing elsewhere, at least (hopefully) until this 4.03 thing comes out and solves all the world's problems.
    tombuur
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 611
    RE: Does TC electronics power core plug in system work well with Sonar? 2005/07/10 05:50:50 (permalink)
    I too have UAD-1 and PoCo. UAD-1 for compressor, PoCo for reverb - that I guess is the dominating opinion on their strengths. With only one card you soon run out of cpu, so I decided for one of each. Runs fine in Cubase SX3 ... Yes, I am waiting for the UAD-1/Sonar problem to be solved, then maybe I will return to Sonar which I find easier to use.
    tor
    RE: Does TC electronics power core plug in system work well with Sonar? 2005/07/10 08:15:14 (permalink)
    Never had a freeze or any problem at all, nada!!!
    I run Sonar 3.1.1 Producer Edition on a 1.6 GHz Pentium 4 machine, 512 MB RAM, motherboard is an Asus P4B, old hardware judging by todays standards.
    I don't need the most powerful machine, cause I use an RME HDSP 9652 and a Yamaha 01v96 mixer with ADAT expansion card, so all conversion takes place outside my PC.
    I've tweaked it's audio performance by shutting down everything I have no use for, which I believe is part of why my system seems very stable.
    My guess is that many of these problems just as well could be due to inadequate streamlining of a system, as it could be due to hardware incompatibilities.....
    If you experience problems, I would recommend visiting http://www.musicxp.net/ if you'haven't already done so, and try the tweakings available.
    Not only do I believe it made my system more stable for audio work, but it also made my system a lot faster.
    post edited by tor - 2005/07/10 08:26:32
    tombuur
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 611
    RE: Does TC electronics power core plug in system work well with Sonar? 2005/07/10 08:21:31 (permalink)
    Tor, we have been through this several times and done all the tweaking and streamlining to no avail. Some of us also have RME, though Fireface 800, but that should make no difference. Try looping with AUD-1 plug-ins, particularly the Pultec, and particulaly some Pultecs on tracks and one on main bus. See if you can do that with no problems. Most of us can't.
    tor
    RE: Does TC electronics power core plug in system work well with Sonar? 2005/07/10 08:29:50 (permalink)
    Yes, I know, I've read some of the posts about the UAD, and I can't say anything other than that it must be a pain in the a... to have these problems. Just suggesting, maybe someone could have luck with it, you know....
    I'm not to familiar with the UAD, as said, I use Powercore.
    Anyways, I can't say I've heard my friend complaining over the UAD, though his studio is based on Cubase SX 3, so it's kind of irrelevant for you, I guess.
    All I can say is that I hope these problems get sorted for you, I bet it's frustrating using creativity on constant problem solving.
    psi777
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 527
    RE: Does TC electronics power core plug in system work well with Sonar? 2005/07/10 14:27:32 (permalink)
    I think it's been pretty well established by this point that it is a SONAR problem that most of us are having, not a general DAW/hardware issue. Like tombuur above, I can also run my UAD cards without a hitch in Cubase SX3...I can fill up both my UAD cards, fill up the PoCo, and still run for days without an error...I can also let it loop a couple of bars hundreds of times without so much as a click.

I'd rather be working in Sonar, but I also am working exlucsively in SX3 these days....but I still linger around the forum here, hoping for word of 4.03
    calaverasgrandes
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1454
    RE: Does TC electronics power core plug in system work well with Sonar? 2005/08/09 16:53:18 (permalink)
    I have been running the powercore element (picked it up on sale for $270!)for about a month now. Not a sinlge problem. The very first time I fired it up I ran the synth into a reverb into a compressor into a distortion. Not a glitch. Though the card is gigantic. I had to take my computer apart, then cut a piece of the chassis off with my dremel in order for it to fit! It is a full length card! so be mindful of where your drive connectors, northbridge are. I could see folks having to upgrade their motherboard just to fit this card!
    On the plus side, if you have an old powercore card, you can trade in for the new one and get $400-500 off, AND get to keep the original card! I am saving up now!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1