Music Creator capabilities?

Author
seventree
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2005/07/10 15:46:15 (permalink)

Music Creator capabilities?

I am looking for a MIDI editor for rather light use but it must be able to do 2 things:

(1) Allow me to define keyboard synth voices (by msb/lsb/number) to use in the editor. Most of the programs I have looked at so far only support the GM voices, however those programs were downloadable shareware. Hopefully Cakewalk products are more advanced.

(2) Convert a MIDI track to an audio track within the program, using the keyboard synth to generate the audio. I know this is possible because I am using a small program called midi2wav that does it, sending the MIDI track to the keyboard and simultaneously getting the audio back from it through the PC's Line In jack. What I don't know is whether Music Creator allows for this kind of hookup.

Will Music Creator 2 do both these things? If not is there another Cakewalk product that will?

Specs: Thinkpad A30P laptop, WinXP Pro SP2, Yamaha PSR-295 with USB MIDI connection.

thanks

Rick

5 Replies Related Threads

Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Music Creator capabilities? 2005/07/10 21:50:54 (permalink)
    Rick i assume you are using a hardware synth in the keyboard, then all you do is to send the midi data to the synth (output) and then send the audio wave sound from the keyboards, audio output to the line in on the sound card set the card as the input for the audio track and arm and hit record.

As for cake being able to read the patches and data from the keyboard, I am not sure, I know that sonar most likely will, but mc, maybe, hopefully a keyboard nut will happen along, i do know that MC can play and record the keyboards sounds, and should link nicely.
    seventree
    RE: Music Creator capabilities? 2005/07/11 10:13:16 (permalink)
    Thanks for the quick reply. From this and more forum-searching I think I have the answers to both questions - someone correct me please if I have any of this wrong.

(1) MC2 does NOT allow me to define or import definitions of the voices/instruments built into my PSR-295 keyboard synth. Apparently this is only possible with other (more $$) CW products by importing .INS files for the hardware synth being used. However if I want to get down and dirty it is possible to hack the MC2 master.ins file and add the info for my synth, assuming I can figure out how to format this data by hand.

(2) Yes, MC2 will create an audio track by sending MIDI tracks to my PSR-295 and receiving the audio back from the synth to my laptop Line In jack. In fact this is described in a CW tutorial elswhere on this site.

Have I got this stuff straight now? If not please feel free to correct me - anyone?

Rick
    FLZapped
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 152
    RE: Music Creator capabilities? 2005/07/11 12:55:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: seventree

Thanks for the quick reply. From this and more forum-searching I think I have the answers to both questions - someone correct me please if I have any of this wrong.

(1) MC2 does NOT allow me to define or import definitions of the voices/instruments built into my PSR-295 keyboard synth. Apparently this is only possible with other (more $$) CW products by importing .INS files for the hardware synth being used. However if I want to get down and dirty it is possible to hack the MC2 master.ins file and add the info for my synth, assuming I can figure out how to format this data by hand.

Yep, gotta do it by hand.

If you don't care about the default GM, GS, and XG stuff. You can rename your master.ins to master.ins.bak then copy your PSR295.ins as master.ins.

Or, do a cut and paste job. A simple text editor, like notespad(NOTESpad, not notepad) will allow you to do a copy and paste. Make a back-up to your master file though. (Notespad allows up to 16 files open at once which are selectable by tabs.)

If you look at the structure, you will find there are diferent sections, all beginning with a period - ie:

.Patch Names
    .Note Names
    .Controller Names

They usually have a comment line seperator ahead of them:

; ---------------

The semi-colon indicates to the software that this is a comment line and should be ignored.

So what you would do is go section by section and copy and paste your information into the master.ins file until you have done them all. Don't forget the header info that is in the brackets.

It is a bit tedious, but works fine.

I suppose a third way would be to have someone with SONAR import your definitions into your master.ins file(after they back theirs up, of course) and give you back the copy. (Wonder if the S4 demo will save the file.....hmmmm)

-Bruce
    FLZapped
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 152
    RE: Music Creator capabilities? 2005/07/11 13:00:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: FLZapped

(Wonder if the S4 demo will save the file.....hmmmm)

-Bruce

I just tried this and it works!-Bruce
    seventree
    RE: Music Creator capabilities? 2005/07/11 13:05:45 (permalink)
    Thanks to you and Robo for the quick and useful info! This seems to be a great support community.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1