midi drum kits

Author
TITOANDSWAN
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
2005/07/10 21:36:31 (permalink)

midi drum kits

I have recorded some drums via midi into music creator. They are the drums I want, I just think I could get a better sounding midi drum bank. Is there a way to download others and plug them in or anything?

4 Replies Related Threads

Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: midi drum kits 2005/07/10 21:46:44 (permalink)
    Yes, you can, what type of sound card do you have? If a better Sound blaster, you can install a superior set of soundfonts from sonic implants, and run all midi thru there,

What synth are you using now? i use the blue jay drums font from sonic for most midi drums,

Actually there are a million ways to do it, it depends on money if you have some buy a copy of something from sampletank and use it as a DXi in cake, set the drums to go thru it

Using soft synths

When using midi tracks in CAKEWALK or any sequencer, there are many way to reproduce the sound from the midi data. One can use an internal synth on the sound card, or inside XP there is Microsoft synth GS, or you can route thru a soft synth that you download or install, some are synths, some are samplers, others use sound fonts, each has unique capabilities that you can use to reproduce midi data into sound.

Cakewalk only uses DX type instruments as synths unless one installs a wrapper type program, these allow you to use VST instruments and effects, VST is a trademark that comes from cubase, and anyone who makes a program that uses VST technology must gain access to that from Cubase, Cakewalk uses DX technology that is from Microsoft development. So keep in mind that at first you need to obtain effects and instrument that are designed with DX technology.

In order to use soft synths to replay a midi file you will need to play them through an audio track, this will allow the midi to be routed through a soft synth and produce an audible output. Here is what you need to do, and for this tutorial we will use Edirol VSC (VSC stands for Virtual Sound Canvas) but for all intents and purposes, this will work with any DX instrument, and at the end I will post links to several that you can down load.

First let’s go to a midi download site and down load a file, then we will open it in CAKEWALK and process it. Go to this site http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/creed90952/index.htm?mtbrand=AOL_US

Go down the page and find the eagles best of my love file, we will use this as the example, right click the file and then click save as target, save this file in a folder you are familiar with, then a pop up box will appear, that with ask you to open , click cancel.

Now open CAKEWALK and go to file and then click open, the open box will allow you to find the folder that you saved the file in( the file name is bestlove.mid), then when you do double click it, it should open in MC. Now you will have a file that has 10 tracks of midi, there will be one track that say words on it, ignore it. Now under the last track that is named “Ride”, place your cursor and right click, a box will pop up go up and chose “insert audio track”, maximize that audio track by clicking the double box icon next to the MSR on the track, then right click the fx box and chose Dx Instruments, (or DX synths for some version) and click on Edirol VSC, Edirol will pop up close it for now, minimize the track again, and then maximize each midi track one at a time and left click each output box and chose Edirol VSC as the output, then minimize each until all of them have Edirol as the output device. Now hit play, and the file should play thru Edirol.

Okay let’s learn to change up the sounds in Edirol a bit, go to the audio track that has Edirol in it and maximize it again, double click on edirol and it should pop up into view. Each track has been assigned to an instrument, this is because Edirol acts like a GM/GS synth like the one on the sound card, but with a little bit better tones. At the bottom of Edirol is a button called setup, click that and a box will open, change the generator tones to GS from GM, and slide the polyphony bar to 128 and hit okay. and then move Edirol down just a bit hit play again Now notice that you can adjust the panning, volume, reverb, expression, delay and chorus so if you want adjust a couple of those as the song plays.

Now that is the basics, you can use any DX instrument to do this depending on it’s personal attributes, some only do one track, other do many. If you want more than one synth, then open more than one audio track to hold them. You might want edirol to do everything but the drums and guitar and use sampletank for those, then open two one for each.

To get more synths go here http://www.kvraudio.com/ go to the side and see a box that has the words instruments, effects, host, etc. and click that then go down to advanced search, in box 1. click on instruments, go down further and find 2. and click DX, then down to 3 and click only Windows, then to 4. and click only free, then down to search. There should be 5 on the list go to sampletank, sonic synth, synth 1 and triangleII download each of these and they will work with CAKEWALK be careful to follow the instructions for each carefully, this will take some time be patient, this will set you up for some great sounds.
    TITOANDSWAN
    RE: midi drum kits 2005/07/10 23:01:21 (permalink)
    Hey Thanks a lot Robo. This helps a lot. I going to work with this a while and see how it goes. Again, you've been a great help.
    TITOANDSWAN
    RE: midi drum kits 2005/07/11 02:56:22 (permalink)
    Okay, the edirol thing worked with the eagles, but then I took the exact same steps with the drums I've got and it's not the same. I can't adjust the volume etc. I don't understand the difference. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
    Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: midi drum kits 2005/07/11 20:37:34 (permalink)
    I am not sure unless there is something missing in the drum track try this do my tutorial on session drummer and see if that works if it does then we can assume something is missing in your file.

How to use Session Drummer
    Session drummer is a plug in that allows you to create a complete drum track it can then be opened in a midi track, and converted to audio thru a soft synth.

First open cakewalk and add a new Midi track and an Audio track.

Go to the midi track and maximize it, this is done be clicking the little box icon on the track itself. Now set your midi track fx to session drummer, you will see a long thin box that says fx in the left side and has two faint arrows in the right hand side, right click in the fx box in the track and a pop up will say midi effects, side the cursor to that and another box will open called cakewalk effects, slide to that and a bigger box will open from that click on session drummer. Session drummer will open.

You will see three boxes, Style, Pattern, and song. Style is just that the style of music the patterns work well with, choose a style and left click it. You will see a list of patterns in the pattern window. You can audition those to see what you want by left clicking it once and then clicking the play arrow on the top tool bar. One is just a click count in and one is silence, others have a basic pattern, and still others variations of that then, there are also fills, and usually an ending.

Find the one that is named “Soft rock 152 – Rock and Roll” in the pattern list double click the named “click” it should have been added to the song list below, Now double click the one named “SN fill1” It should be after the click in the song list, now double click the one named “Crash/Kick/SN/Hat” , now double Click “SN/Tom fill1”, double click “Crash/Kick/SN/Hat” once again and then double click “SN fill2” Now count the measures that you have added, session drummer will list these on the right side of the pattern list, It should total 18 measures.

Close session drummer, then go to the ruler bar (the scale looking thing above the tracks) left click near the 0 point, and drag until you highlight the exact amount of measures of your drum tracks on the ruler bar, stopping at the end of 18. This should also place a dark area in the midi track for the same amount of measures, go to the beginning of the midi track, right click in the dark area of the track, A box will open, go to midi effects/session drummer and click it to reopen it and slide it to the bottom of the page, move your cursor to the very beginning of that track, you should see a small square symbol pop up, click and drag open the drum track all the way to the end of the highlighted area, there should be a colored stripe with data in it now. If you are using a built in chip it will play if you hit the play arrow in the top tool bar, you now have a midi drum track.

Now you can enhance that by using a better sounding synth to play the track thru. Go to the audio track that you opened, and maximize it, go to it’s fx box and right, go to DXi instruments, and find Edirol VSC, click that. Edirol will pop up minimize it and go back to the midi track, find the output box, left click ant it should have the option of Edirol VSC, click on that, Hit play, it will sound pretty good. This same setup can be used for any softsynth that you have and there are many of them out there.

Now if you want the midi to become a wave file so you can add some real nice effects to it like compression or reverb, you can use the bounce to track feature. Go to edit/bounce to track, click that and a box will pop up, hit okay and a blue bar will proceed across the bottom of the screen. You will have a new track below the others, maximize it and right click the fx box and go to audio effects, find cakewalk reverb, click on that, go to presets and find concert, chose that close the effect, and hit play a drummer in a stadium. Have fun.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1