hissing occurs using keyboard

Author
luciddream
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2005/07/13 14:02:11 (permalink)

hissing occurs using keyboard

First of all, I am using a firepod 4 in 4 out, and sonar4. I can record guitar, bass, and mics fine the problem is recording the keyboard line out instead of midi. I know its not the interface, or the other instruments would be causing the same problem to occur. The only thing I can think of would be that the cable needs to be balanced, but that really dosn't make any since. Any suggestions would be of great importance.

thanx,
luciddream

6 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: hissing occurs using keyboard 2005/07/13 14:31:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: luciddream

First of all, I am using a firepod 4 in 4 out, and sonar4. I can record guitar, bass, and mics fine the problem is recording the keyboard line out instead of midi. I know its not the interface, or the other instruments would be causing the same problem to occur. The only thing I can think of would be that the cable needs to be balanced, but that really dosn't make any since. Any suggestions would be of great importance.

thanx,
    luciddream

The output of the keyboard might be noisy. In most cases this will get worse if the volume of the keyboard is up all the way or almost all the way. If you can turn down the volume on the keyboard and use some clean gain at the firepod to make up for it that might work.

Also check the gain stages inside the keyboard. In some cases the patch might not have the output up very high and the master volume gain stage is trying to make up for it. Might need to edit the patch and see if there is any clean gain you can get there so you can turn down the master volume a little. Might not take much to make the hiss go away.

You don't need a balanced cable unless the output of your keyboard is balanced and most are not. Also, balanced lines solve for humm pickup along the line but won't help hiss generated by the deivce output.
    bermuda
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: hissing occurs using keyboard 2005/07/13 14:36:04 (permalink)
    That's not a cable it's a snake !

Balanced cables , if you have one, try it.

Use a plug in that removes low level analogue hiss noise when you record the keyboard.

use the synth to play midi notes and use a soft synth for audio.

If you don't notic the sound of the hiss when notes are playing use a gate in the the same way you would use to remove snare buzz occuring when the drum isn't being played,

Yes.
    lfm
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2216
    RE: hissing occurs using keyboard 2005/07/14 01:18:53 (permalink)
    If you are using an external power adapter with keyboard it might be a switched regulated voltage type, which uses an internal sample frequency that can interfere at times. If power supply is getting old or is used closed to it's maximum capacity these frequencies go down in switching rate and become audible. If external supply, test and use another brand.

1. But main thing to look for is good cables. I got rid of such a problem by just moving the cables another route around keyboard. They became to close to the power supply and shielding was not the best. Hum and hiss was the problem then.

2. Next step is better quality cables.

3. Look inside keyboard. Sometimes cables are badly routed and can be successfully moved for better result.
    johndale
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3228
    RE: hissing occurs using keyboard 2005/07/14 02:00:21 (permalink)
    Did you open it up and put it back together with your cat inside? Maybe it is just possessed?............................JDW

How many string bass players does it take to change a lightbulb?
    1)-None; the piano player can do that with his left hand.
    2)-Don't bother...just leave it out ..no one will notice
    3)-One ..but the guitarist has to show him first
    4)-One. Five. One. Five...
    5)-Six..one to change it and the other five to fight off the lead guitarists who are hogging the light..
    luciddream
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: hissing occurs using keyboard 2005/07/14 18:09:58 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the input, but im starting to think the problem is within Sonar. The output of the keyboard is fine otherwise I would be hearing the same noise with headphones, monitors, and amp sources. I set the gain stages in the keyboard, but didn't hear a difference. As far as the cables being balanced, borrowed a friends also no change. In responce to using a plugin that removes low level hiss, tried that also. Im using a motif es has no power supply pack, internal power. Using monster cables so the quality is good. Also you can't route the cables badly running line out into line in on the interface-L & R stereo! The cat idea might just be the answer, hmm???
    Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: hissing occurs using keyboard 2005/07/14 18:23:48 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the input, but im starting to think the problem is within Sonar.

Have you added EQ in SONAR?

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1