Behringer MX3282A - good enough for gigs?

Author
daverich
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3418
2005/07/17 15:12:58 (permalink)

Behringer MX3282A - good enough for gigs?

This seems like an awful lot of desk for the money.

Does anyone here use one? or has anyone used one?

Thomann do it with a case for around £470 which seems like a great deal to get a serious mixing solution.

Hows the quality? - I know its behringer but I'm not going to be recording with it - merely live sound - is it good enough? does it sound quiet clean?

finally - the talkback - I'm assuming you can route it to any sub-mix yeah?

I did google for some reviews but they were all a bit thin on details.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

For Sale - 10.5x7ft Whisperroom recording booth.

http://www.daverichband.com
http://www.soundclick.com/daverich

10 Replies Related Threads

ned911
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Behringer MX3282A - good enough for gigs? 2005/07/18 08:42:28 (permalink)
    The problem with the Behringer boards is that there are only 2 pre-fader aux sends, the rest are post fader. If you plan on only 2 monitor mixes this will be OK but most bands end up with more than 2. You don't want to send a monitor mix post fader.

Having just gone through this search there are only 2 boards in the < $1000 range with 4 pre-fader aux sends and 16 mic-pres: Allen & Heather MixWiz or the Carvin 1644. I found a smoking deal on a used Carvin and couldn't be happier.
    themanster
    • Total Posts : 39
    RE: Behringer MX3282A - good enough for gigs? 2005/07/18 22:50:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ned911

The problem with the Behringer boards is that there are only 2 pre-fader aux sends, the rest are post fader. If you plan on only 2 monitor mixes this will be OK but most bands end up with more than 2. You don't want to send a monitor mix post fader.

Having just gone through this search there are only 2 boards in the < $1000 range with 4 pre-fader aux sends and 16 mic-pres: Allen & Heather MixWiz or the Carvin 1644. I found a smoking deal on a used Carvin and couldn't be happier.

That is not entirely correct. I have one and it has 6 aux sends. 1-2 are pre, 3-4 are post, and 5-6 are pre/post switchable. It's not a horrible board. I use it to record sometimes. The only thing you have to be weary of is the connector for the power supply. The connector that connects is this wierd multi-pin Cannon(XLR/Low Z) type connector. The male end is at the board and the female at the end of the cable, that comes from the power supply. It's such a fragile connector that the pins for the male end always bend and its a b**** to straighten them out. If only they had used something more durable, like a XLR or 3 prong computer connector. You should look at a Carvin, or a smaller Behringer maybe. It is a monster. A 32-Ch Carvin is about 1/2 the size of the MX3282A. I'll try to post some pics later.
    themanster
    • Total Posts : 39
    RE: Behringer MX3282A - good enough for gigs? 2005/07/18 22:55:50 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: daverich

Hows the quality? - I know its behringer but I'm not going to be recording with it - merely live sound - is it good enough? does it sound quiet clean?

finally - the talkback - I'm assuming you can route it to any sub-mix yeah?

Yes, it routes through the Auxes.

It's a little noisy as you start pumping out the gain. Its on the signal as well. I sure wouldn't want to hook up a guitar straight into the board, I'd use a D.I. box.
    dmassey
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 210
    RE: Behringer MX3282A - good enough for gigs? 2005/07/19 02:23:49 (permalink)
    It's a great board for the money, but it's definitely a disposable board. We used a pair of them for a house gig (one main, one monitor) and one of them dropped a couple of channels after the first three months; Behringer shipped a replacement, rather than repair it. Can't ****, though, as I had a similar failure with a Souncraft and an Allen/Heath. They all break, it's how quick the company responds to problems that matters. The Behrniger products that truly suck are the crossovers and the FX units. Yuck! The Ultra-Drive units are cool, but had 4 out of 6 fail within the first 6 months.
    I believe the 3282 may be going away, but you can't get a straight answer out of anyone in the pro sound business anymore.
    daverich
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3418
    RE: Behringer MX3282A - good enough for gigs? 2005/07/19 04:52:41 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dmassey

It's a great board for the money, but it's definitely a disposable board. We used a pair of them for a house gig (one main, one monitor) and one of them dropped a couple of channels after the first three months; Behringer shipped a replacement, rather than repair it. Can't ****, though, as I had a similar failure with a Souncraft and an Allen/Heath. They all break, it's how quick the company responds to problems that matters. The Behrniger products that truly suck are the crossovers and the FX units. Yuck! The Ultra-Drive units are cool, but had 4 out of 6 fail within the first 6 months.
    I believe the 3282 may be going away, but you can't get a straight answer out of anyone in the pro sound business anymore.

Hmm that's interesting.

I did notice they do a similar board with built it fx with a few less channels but it's also cheaper. It might be worth looking into also.

Thanks for all your input folks.

Kind regards

Dave Rich

For Sale - 10.5x7ft Whisperroom recording booth.

http://www.daverichband.com
    http://www.soundclick.com/daverich
    nbnspire
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: Behringer MX3282A - good enough for gigs? 2005/07/19 08:50:38 (permalink)
    I use this exact board. I use it in the studio and absolutely love it. I've had it now for almost 2 years and never had the first problem out of it. My board has 8 aux sends, 1&2 pre, 3,4,5,6 post, and 7&8 switchable. Of course it lacks the pre-amps like some of the other more expensive boards, but that wasn't an issue for me. I use mine quite often in different configurations of routing and it's never failed me yet.

I don't travel with mine, but it seems to be built sturdy.

The talkback can be routed, but off the top of my head, I don't remember the routing specs. It only has a few routing buttons on the talkback, so you may be limited there a bit.

Nelson

Nelson Benton
    www.nspirestudio.com
    BlindDog
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 985
    RE: Behringer MX3282A - good enough for gigs? 2005/07/19 21:48:53 (permalink)
    I've relied on the 3282A in the studio for 8 years and it still works well. The amp is a bit noisy for my tastes so I keep the trims dialed out and use the pres on the Layla 3G primarily. The talkback is next to useless, at least for me. I bought a headset Shure and run it through a channel to communicate to the room. EQ is solid, the 2+2+2/2 aux sends is great, and the routing to 8 subs works marvelous for taking tracks into the computer. Maybe not the top drawer of all boards, but the routing abilities are awesome and the price is very reasonable.

-Kevin
    Accidents "happen". Success, however, is planned and executed.
    Joe Bravo
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1870
    RE: Behringer MX3282A - good enough for gigs? 2005/07/20 22:20:18 (permalink)
    I don't own this board but I own two other Behringer boards and they've been truely great. Dead silent and reliable. If the board has the options you need then I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to these Internet idiots spreading dissention about Behringer. A good deal of it very likely comes from music sales people working off commission who love to troll message boards dissing products they can't make much money on.

I also own a V-Amp and a Composer Pro compressor, both of which are great units, and the compressor is every bit as good as my old DBX-160. Never had a problem yet with any Behringer gear, some of which is over 3-years old.
    dmassey
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 210
    RE: Behringer MX3282A - good enough for gigs? 2005/07/21 23:17:04 (permalink)
    The company I work for carries Behringer as well as most pro sound lines. We don't sell a lot of consoles, but I get my hands on enough to make comparisons when asked. Unlike my fellow pro-sound guys I am not a gear snob. Although Behringer is a difficult company to deal with as a dealer, they have had a major impact on the market, just as Mackie did a decade ago; it's often said that they out-Mackied Mackie.
    Most mixers in the under-$1500 market are what we refer to as disposable. The products typically do not last as long as the mid- and high-priced units do, but so what? With technology changing so quickly I don't see a problem.
    All manufacturers have some "dogs" in their product line (in terms of reliability), but the sonic performance is always subject to the perception of the user. I always suggest the Behringer Composer Pro, The Feedback Suppressor Pro, EQ's, multi-band limiters, mixers, even the power amps for customers who are on a budget and not brand-oriented.
    The failure rate on some other items has been less than we can live with, and we won't stock those particular items. Nothing against Behringer, we have had similar issues with Crown, DBX, DOD, JBL (never mention the name EVO to my boss), etc (and that doesn't include the lights that we carry.. boy, what a crapshoot there!) and that's part of what we have to do as a business.
    Most of my post here are based on my hands-on experience as a musician; I have no interest in promoting my place of employment on this forum.

Incidentally, I am using the very mixer that started this thread in my studio, as well as several other pieces of Behringer gear.
    post edited by dmassey - 2005/07/21 23:24:05
    Hussein Namooya
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: RE: Behringer MX3282A - good enough for gigs? 2010/08/24 09:18:26 (permalink)
    Hi. i have purchased a behringer sx 3282 and intend to use it for recording,
    I in fact use sonar and up to now i record directly on my computer and work out everything from there. I think that my mixer will help me to work out better. What I intend to do is I want to return all my tracks from sonar on the mixer and to use the mixer for balancing. For example i want to split my drums into parts and send them individually on the mixer  where I suppose I can enhance the sounds. Moreover I have a mic phantom power behringer B1 . I should like to know if I can get my mic through an equalizer first before connecting to the mixer.any one out there to help
    with anticipated thanks
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1