BOSS GS-10

Author
metaprog
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 551
2005/07/30 01:43:06 (permalink)

BOSS GS-10

Anybody out there using this? I'm contemplating it. The sound clips I've heard sound better (to me) than the samples I've heard from Line 6's PODs, and the reviews I've seen have been very positive. It looks well built and does everything - COSM amp modelling and every effect imaginable. Even has a mic preamp (!).

Available new between $350-400 (although I think "suggested retail" is something like $595). So I'm curious if Cakewalk users have any experience with it.

DAW: Studiocat Core2Duo, Asus P5K mobo, 4GB 1066Mhz WinXP2 > Sonar 5.2 PE > Lynx 1 > VXP/GT Brick
Mics: GT-66 / Guitars: Carvin DC400, Brian Moore i21.13, Ibanez JS1000, Morris W616, Rodriguez A, Takamine EG523SC-12, Peavey Fury bass

17 Replies Related Threads

bhd2vek
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 328
    RE: BOSS GS-10 2005/08/02 17:00:26 (permalink)
    Looks like a stripped down version of the GT-6 I had... Have you looked at that?

I checked out the marketing info on the gs10, they say it's derived from the GT6. I think they have a GT8 out now, so a guy could prolly pick up a used 6 for cheap... The GT6 had more ins/outs (and the expression pedal) but doesn't have the preamp (or built in speakers).

I used the GT6 direct using the audio outs and spdif, and plugged into my Dean Markley CD60. I preferred the sound from the amp over the direct methods. If I went direct, I preferred the analog outs over the spdif.

The midi interface on the 6 was handy as well, I mainly used it for dumping patches into my projects so the settings for the recorded tracks were stored along with the audio. I was also kinda cool to program bank/patch change events into the project so I didn't have to get off my but to tap a foot pedal... It didn't come with software though, there is a thing called GT Manager that a guy ( named Nick Oatley I think...) wrote to fill that gap. The program was a little cumbersom, but easier for me than using the buttons and dials on the unit itself.

In a nutshell, how bad do you want the preamp in the gs10? How much io flexability are you willing to sacrifice for it? And the obvious new/used factor and possible $$ difference....
    metaprog
    RE: BOSS GS-10 2005/08/02 17:22:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bhd2vek
    Looks like a stripped down version of the GT-6 I had... Have you looked at that?

Stripped down? I don't think so. Rather, it is a more tabletop/software-oriented version with similar effects to the GT line. But if you look at the feature list, I don't think you'll be able to call it "stripped down." (Certainly enough for me to spend several years trying to familiarize myself with everything!) In fact, I'm seeing that the GT-6 has 30 amp models; the GS10 has about 45; GT-6 has 15 types of overdrive/distortion, while the GS10 has 22. Etc. The feature set actually seems more similar to the GT-8 than the GT-6.

I checked out the marketing info on the gs10, they say it's derived from the GT6. I think they have a GT8 out now, so a guy could prolly pick up a used 6 for cheap... The GT6 had more ins/outs (and the expression pedal) but doesn't have the preamp (or built in speakers).

Well, I don't have a guitar preamp (actually, I don't have a preamp at all), so one of the things I'm counting on/hoping for is that the GS10 would be adequate. (I'm not doing anything live, and I don't have the money or space to get into the whole hardware setup of amps, preamps, effects pedals etc.) So that's one of the selling features.

I used the GT6 direct using the audio outs and spdif, and plugged into my Dean Markley CD60. I preferred the sound from the amp over the direct methods.

I wonder if the GS10's preamp would help with that.

The midi interface on the 6 was handy as well, I mainly used it for dumping patches into my projects so the settings for the recorded tracks were stored along with the audio. I was also kinda cool to program bank/patch change events into the project so I didn't have to get off my but to tap a foot pedal... It didn't come with software though, there is a thing called GT Manager that a guy ( named Nick Oatley I think...) wrote to fill that gap. The program was a little cumbersom, but easier for me than using the buttons and dials on the unit itself.

In a nutshell, how bad do you want the preamp in the gs10? How much io flexability are you willing to sacrifice for it? And the obvious new/used factor and possible $$ difference....

Well, frankly, judging by what GT-6s are fetching on eBay, I don't think I've save that much money (plus, the GS10 also occasionally comes up used, although the GT-6 is certainly far more plentiful; they seem to fetch nearly the same price). I'll admit I'm also a bit nervous about buying used guitar effects equipment - I've been burned by it before. In any case, if the preamp is any good, whatever extra would probably be worth it, I would think. That's why it would be nice to hear from someone using the unit.

Right now, I'm just doing everything absolutely direct (which, needless to say, is pretty useless for electric guitar). I'm guessing I would probably still need a good mic preamp in the long run (tho I suspect the GS10 would probably be better than the absolutely direct in into my US122 that I'm currently doing).

Anyway, thanks for your comments. I guess I have to save some $$ either way.
    post edited by metaprog - 2005/08/02 17:49:56

DAW: Studiocat Core2Duo, Asus P5K mobo, 4GB 1066Mhz WinXP2 > Sonar 5.2 PE > Lynx 1 > VXP/GT Brick
    Mics: GT-66 / Guitars: Carvin DC400, Brian Moore i21.13, Ibanez JS1000, Morris W616, Rodriguez A, Takamine EG523SC-12, Peavey Fury bass
    bhd2vek
    RE: BOSS GS-10 2005/08/02 17:51:33 (permalink)
    Stripped down? I don't think so. Rather, it is a more tabletop/software-oriented version with similar effects to the GT line.

Perhaps "stripped down" wasn't appropriate... just seemed to me that trading the IO and the exp pedal for a preamp might not be a fair deal.

Would you even be using the preamp when putting your guitar into its jack? I could be wrong, but the pre may only come into play when using a mic in the xlr jack. Does the gs supply phantom power?

Of course the bottom line is how it sounds to you. There are probably subtle differences between the two lines in the amp/fx models as well...
    metaprog
    RE: BOSS GS-10 2005/08/02 18:28:51 (permalink)

Perhaps "stripped down" wasn't appropriate... just seemed to me that trading the IO and the exp pedal for a preamp might not be a fair deal.

I could be out to lunch (I haven't used guitar effects in years, and in those days I just a handful of separate mini-pedals), but I was guessing that an expression pedal is really a lot more useful in a live situation rather than in a strictly recording environment. Do you disagree?

Would you even be using the preamp when putting your guitar into its jack? I could be wrong, but the pre may only come into play when using a mic in the xlr jack.

I'm not clear on why you would think that.
    Does the gs supply phantom power?

Now that is something that I would like to know and haven't been able to determine yet. Roland's specs aren't very detailed.

Of course the bottom line is how it sounds to you. There are probably subtle differences between the two lines in the amp/fx models as well...

Well, it's using the same COSM technology. Of course, not running it through an actual amp is bound to leave it sounding different, no question there. (Personally, I don't mind different - I just want good! I really can't understand a complaint that a new technology doesn't sound exactly like an old one. What I care about is whether it sounds as good or better.)

But like I said, I've only heard sound samples (which sound great to me); I haven't been able to actually play with it.

metaprog
    RE: BOSS GS-10 2005/08/02 18:43:51 (permalink)
    I have my answer re phantom power - sort of. The owner's manual says "not compatible with phantom power." Not compatible? Okay, I don't understand that one....

jamester
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: BOSS GS-10 2005/08/02 22:47:36 (permalink)
    I think there's some confusion with the word "preamp". There's a "guitar preamp", which would mean in this case emulating the sounds of specific amplifiers like Marshall, Fender, etc... Then there's "mic preamp", which means raising a dynamic mic's anemic output to a useable level.

Both have the former, but only the GS-10 has the latter, hence the XLR mic input. However, the fact that it doesn't have phantom power is ridiculous! But they probably figure the majority of folks using this as a "preamp" will be using dynamic mics like Sure SM 57's and such.

As far as the mic pre being better than the US-122, well... maybe, maybe not. Doesn't the US-122 at least have phantom power? The Boss unit might be cool if it has that COSM mic modelling like some of the Roland digital recorders, but I don't see any info on that.

Personally, I would say skip this altogether and buy Amplitube. Use that in conjunction with some good fx (like Sonitus), and you'll have all the sounds and way more flexibility. Recording with fx is so last decade...

Purrrfect Audio DAW built by Jim Roseberry
    Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
    Reaper, Live, Sound Forge, Pyro
    metaprog
    RE: BOSS GS-10 2005/08/02 23:23:32 (permalink)
    Thanks, Jamester. Yes, the US-122 has phantom power. Actually, the results I'm getting with it are perhaps as good as I should expect with a small condenser, but everyone keeps saying how important a preamp is.... I don't recall anything about amp modelling for the mic either. I agree that would be cool, but that would sort of redefine what the GS10 is, I guess.

I want to record with effects. I need a good box that I can play with and now how the effects will sound before I've done my recording. It gives me more playing flexibility. Maybe if I was both a better guitarist and more of a master with Sonar, I'd feel differently. But I don't even have anything proper to practice with, effects-wise. What I like about the GS10 is that it covers so many bases, and seems to have a really good sound.

I dunno.

jamester
    RE: BOSS GS-10 2005/08/03 01:04:21 (permalink)
    Yeah man, if the GS-10 is getting it done the way you want, then it is the right thing for you!

Down the road, though, I highly recommend getting into the "virtual" aspect of recording guitars. Provided you have a decent enough system to record while monitoring your signal without latency problems... If so, trust me; Amplitube blew me AWAY!

How cool is this - you can record *with* the sound you want, then go back and audition other sounds instead. Change, tweak and try different things to your heart's content. Wanna hear that shredding metal solo played with a clean jazz tone? No problem! (Warning - this may reveal extreme sloppiness you never noticed because of all the distortion. A real ear-opener for myself!)

Something to think about for the future. Until I started recording with ReValver and Amplitube, I never would have considered recording "dry". Now I'll never go back!

metaprog
    RE: BOSS GS-10 2005/08/03 03:55:02 (permalink)
    Yeah, that's the problem I have right now - I have no way of monitoring my effects. I still think that you need to play differently depending on what effects you're using, to some degree, so that if all you hear is "dry" when you're recording.... Anyway, we'll see how it goes. I've seen other people say that the GS10 convinced them to give the boot to Amplitude. I guess you'll always have people going both ways on most things.

jamester
    RE: BOSS GS-10 2005/08/03 04:00:48 (permalink)
    I still think that you need to play differently depending on what effects you're using, to some degree, so that if all you hear is "dry" when you're recording....

Oh, I totally agree. That's why you absolutely need to be monitoring while you play with something like Amplitube or Guitar Rig. It's just that having the option to change your mind after-the-fact rocks!

Sort-of like recording vocals with compression. In the old days, I'd never record without compression. Now I never would, because it's way cooler to do it later and play around with the sound of different compressors.

Ah, technology...

metaprog
    RE: BOSS GS-10 2005/08/03 04:12:12 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jamester
    Ah, technology...

It just keeps getting better, doesn't it?

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to get out of budget-blowing territory....

bhd2vek
    RE: BOSS GS-10 2005/08/03 10:24:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: metaprog

ORIGINAL: jamester
    Ah, technology...

It just keeps getting better, doesn't it?

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to get out of budget-blowing territory....

Yeah, we have a lot of options these days. I think of all the hours I spent in my parents basement with a little mono casset recorder learning guitar parts from commercial material and writing guitar parts for original material... If I had some of todays tools/toys then, I would have NEVER seen the sun!
    gubielubie
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: BOSS GS-10 2005/08/04 16:24:21 (permalink)
    heard its the hot deal.....good luck
    Clik
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 354
    RE: BOSS GS-10 2006/02/10 23:03:37 (permalink)
    I just got a GS-10 yesterday. I don't understand what the manual means by "not compatible with phantom power." Does anyone know???

Does that mean I can't use a condenser mic, with my standalone phantom power box? Would that mess up the GS-10?
    metaprog
    RE: BOSS GS-10 2006/02/10 23:29:07 (permalink)
    Clik, I've never really been able to figure that one out.

Anyway, I don't use the GS-10 as a sound card. I just use its digital out into the digital in on my Lynx One. I run my mics off a preamp.

Clik
    RE: BOSS GS-10 2006/02/10 23:48:21 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply!

I'm not sure what I'm ultimately going to do with this box; got it on sale at Guitar Center -- looked like fun. Got it home, and found out all the weird stuff it had, like mic in, and built-in speakers.

Tomorrow I think I'll try putting a meter on my mic/phantom power supply, and see what it says. If it seems safe, I guess I can plug 'er into the GS-10.

Right now, I'm just having fun playing through the little built-in speakers. So cool...
    Clik
    RE: BOSS GS-10 2007/03/24 06:51:11 (permalink)
    OK, it didn't take a day; it took about a year. But I finally put a meter on my mic/phantom power supply, and plugged it into the GS-10.

Worked fine; nothing blew up!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1