Trigger Finger Revisited

Author
Rockitglider
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 172
2005/08/04 00:48:20 (permalink)

Trigger Finger Revisited

Hello all,

Well now that people have had thier trigger finger controllers for a while, how are you liking them? Myself, I love it, it makes a really good drumming tool. I like it so much I'm thinking of buying another one. Is it possible to have two of the same controllers installed on the same machine?, and is it possible to use two of the same controllers in P5? Like, I would like to have 1 trigger finger for Latin Percussion, and one for a regular drum kit, either that or use the same trigger finger and be able to switch it on the fly, like a shift switch or something like that. Any ideas? Thanks for your comments.

See ya, Rockitglider

"You Teach Best What You Most Need To Learn" Richard Bach, "Illusions"

26 Replies Related Threads

AndyDavis
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 220
    RE: Trigger Finger Revisited 2005/08/04 00:58:41 (permalink)
    One thing that I did is set up the pads to correspond to 4x4 blocks of cells in DR-008. I only mapped 3 such blocks, but you can do 6. At any rate, that puts me two presses away from any section of my kit.

I also printed a small label that I taped to the unit just above the display that tells me what each of the presets are (because I can never remember stuff like that).

-Andy

Don't ask the question if you cannot live with the answer.
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Trigger Finger Revisited 2005/08/04 05:47:24 (permalink)
    I like it so much I'm thinking of buying another one. Is it possible to have two of the same controllers installed on the same machine?,
    Sure. Use the input Port assignments and a unique MIDI channel in the Track Inspector. It's just like having multiple KB controllers. Or split the pads up on a single TF with multiple MIDI transmit channels using the Enigma software.

I really want a second one myself. I use the TF every time I play now; it's almost become the controller-of-choice. One of these days, I'm going to have to see what all the fuss is about, and try using it as a drum controller. <g>
    wrench45us
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4991
    RE: Trigger Finger Revisited 2005/08/04 08:19:07 (permalink)

please stop talking about Trigger Finger
    as I am forced by current conditions to defer its acquisition

CloudWalker
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 799
    RE: Trigger Finger Revisited 2005/08/04 11:13:29 (permalink)
    I think im going to get one next week!
    MurderDethKill
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1904
    RE: Trigger Finger Revisited 2005/08/04 15:54:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: wrench45us
    please stop talking about Trigger Finger
    as I am forced by current conditions to defer its acquisition.

Mum's the word!!!

korg kontrol49

My site i guess;)
    Monstruousubergeekyhardcorefunkytrancepolkaoptimism Lives!!!
    CloudWalker
    RE: Trigger Finger Revisited 2005/08/04 16:48:10 (permalink)
    For $200: Trigger Finger or Cme Uf5?
    b rock
    RE: Trigger Finger Revisited 2005/08/04 20:12:59 (permalink)
    For $200: Trigger Finger or Cme Uf5?
    Tough one, CW. As much as I like the Trigger finger, it would have to be second in line if I didn't have a KB controller. The CME looks real nice on paper; I still haven't seen one to try it out. Breath control, too, eh? And aftertouch, 49 keys. etc. Looks like a winner, but I'd feel more comfortable recommending it if I'd had my hands on one.

And don't settle for paying $200 for either one. Do you have Guitar Centers out there in Utah, or has the Transcontinental Railroad not made it that far yet?
    If you do, you might be interested in some hints on GC guerilla tactics found in this thread, and also this one.
    post edited by b rock - 2005/08/04 20:18:10
    CloudWalker
    RE: Trigger Finger Revisited 2005/08/04 20:24:33 (permalink)
    Tough one, CW. As much as I like the Trigger finger, it would have to be second in line if I didn't have a KB controller. The CME looks real nice on paper; I still haven't seen one to try it out. Breath control, too, eh? And aftertouch, 49 keys. etc. Looks like a winner, but I'd feel more comfortable recommending it if I'd had my hands on one.

And don't settle for paying $200 for either one. Do you have Guitar Centers out there in Utah, or has the Transcontinental Railroad not made it that far yet?
    If you do, you might be interested in some hints on GC guerilla tactics found in this thread, and also this one.

Utah sux...the only brands in stock are Emu and M-Audio. *sigh* I wish I had a Karma...
    Oh! Eh *cough cough* (back to reality).

Yeah, I can go and feel a trigger finger, but still, that uf5 or uf6 looks like exacly what I need for how much money I want to spend.

I just hope it wouldnt fall apart the first week I got it!

I can order any keyboard through my local Guitar center though.

-C W

Ps: thanks for the links.
    jmeredith
    • Total Posts : 174
    RE: Trigger Finger Revisited 2005/08/04 20:40:35 (permalink)
    CW... I got 2 words for you buddy - ROAD TRIP or is that one ??

I say you head on down to the swamp and test out all of B's toys - and while you're there... try and get that picture he's been promising all of us of his studio.
    CloudWalker
    RE: Trigger Finger Revisited 2005/08/04 20:46:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jmeredith

CW... I got 2 words for you buddy - ROAD TRIP or is that one ??

I say you head on down to the swamp and test out all of B's toys - and while you're there... try and get that picture he's been promising all of us of his studio.

That is a freakin long road trip!

I wonder how many sleeping pills it would take to knock Tom out so I could get that photo...
    b rock
    RE: Trigger Finger Revisited 2005/08/04 21:20:48 (permalink)
    That is a freakin long road trip!
    I'll meet you halfway. If you can make it as far as Mexico, I'll hook you up on the junket across the Gulf. A couple of quick layovers: from the auto-parts barge to the shrimp boat, then onto the island freighter anchored just off the coast. Hop on one of the six cigarette boats that'll quickly zip you to the hammocks at nightfall, then cruise the last leg in an airboat. That's how all my friends get here, so I know that the route is reliable.
    post edited by b rock - 2005/08/04 21:26:34
    CloudWalker
    RE: Trigger Finger Revisited 2005/08/04 21:29:00 (permalink)
    I'll meet you halfway. If you can make it as far as Mexico, I'll hook you up on the junket across the Gulf. A couple of quick layovers: from the auto-parts barge to the shrimp boat, then onto the island freighter anchored just off the coast. Hop on one of the six cigarette boats that'll quickly zip you to the hammocks at nightfall, then cruise the last leg in an airboat. That's how all my friends get here, so I know that the route is reliable.

Your a darker man than I thought Tom...

Just kidding!
    wrench45us
    RE: Trigger Finger Revisited 2005/08/04 21:39:40 (permalink)

what's so ironic is I just handed my neighbor a check for half the cost of treating an elm tree that straddles our property line (to prevent Dutch Elm) for exactly the retail price of Trigger Finger at GC plus our local sales tax. isn't that odd how it came to that exact figure?

but if i work it out based on what it cost to fill my little Civic with gas at $2.30/gallon, that would be 12 tanks of gas. That would mean walking to work for only 19 or 20 weeks to save enough to pick it up.

i suppose I could forego the air conditioner and dehumidifier could go, but then it gets too hot to go under head phones

i was very lucky with my keyboard -- a quirky local music store is all keyboards all the time -- a piano teacher in a refurbished barn with keyboard students of all ages. she was nice enough to match any online price, order it and if I didn't like the feel she'd send it back. Maybe you can find someplace like that in Utah -- progressive Provo perhaps?
    post edited by wrench45us - 2005/08/04 21:44:31

CloudWalker
    RE: Trigger Finger Revisited 2005/08/04 22:53:38 (permalink)
    Maybe you can find someplace like that in Utah -- progressive Provo perhaps?

I checked the phone book. I cant find a progressive in provo or salt lake...they might be out of buisness.

Ive called almost everywhere in utah, and there is nothing.

I simply have to go by word of mouth from you guys. Dont lead me astray!
    jmeredith
    RE: Trigger Finger Revisited 2005/08/04 23:35:12 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: CloudWalker
    Maybe you can find someplace like that in Utah -- progressive Provo perhaps?

I checked the phone book. I cant find a progressive in provo or salt lake...they might be out of buisness.

I simply have to go by word of mouth from you guys. Dont lead me astray!

I'm pretty sure that he meant the city of Provo was more progressive than others and that hopefully you could find a store where they'd be "willing to work with you" i.e., find a store where the people who work there genuinely love their job and just want to share the love with others (if they see how eager you are, they might be inclined to help you out)
    CloudWalker
    RE: Trigger Finger Revisited 2005/08/04 23:56:52 (permalink)
    no no no...

I checked an old phone book, and there was a progressive music. But now i think they are out of buisness.

Though you are probably right, lol
    post edited by CloudWalker - 2005/08/05 00:01:41
    jmeredith
    RE: Trigger Finger Revisited 2005/08/05 00:02:08 (permalink)

no no no...

I checked an old phone book, and there was a progressive music. But now i think they are out of buisness.

Though you are probably right, lol

oops... my bad... SORRY
    naughtyhill
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1037
    RE: Trigger Finger Revisited 2005/08/05 02:24:53 (permalink)

Well at least u have those little gray men walking around...

The truth is out there!!!

Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3458
    RE: Trigger Finger Revisited 2005/08/05 02:32:54 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: b rock

I like it so much I'm thinking of buying another one. Is it possible to have two of the same controllers installed on the same machine?,
    Sure. Use the input Port assignments and a unique MIDI channel in the Track Inspector. It's just like having multiple KB controllers. Or split the pads up on a single TF with multiple MIDI transmit channels using the Enigma software.

This is one of the very powerful, yet often overlooked features pf Project5.

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
    wrench45us
    RE: Trigger Finger Revisited 2005/08/05 08:08:43 (permalink)

who knew there's be a progressive music in progressive Provo?

what i know of Utah comes from having a housemate in college from Springfield.

the fact that progressive music is out of business doesn't bode well, but think how many churches must have Clavinovas or SynthClaviers. There must be some network below the surface.
    otherwise Las Vegas isn't too far and I'm told there's at least one of everything out there and it's either for sale or rent.

b rock
    RE: Trigger Finger Revisited 2005/08/05 09:25:08 (permalink)
    Ive called almost everywhere in utah, and there is nothing. ... Well at least u have those little gray men walking around...
    There's your answer, CW. At least one of those aliens has a Trigger Finger to test out, and I'm sure they have even cooler controller keyboards back on the mothership. Might even be worth the somewhat invasive probe that you'll have to endure. You wanted hands-on; you got it.

At the very least, see if one of them can give you a ride out to the Swamp. Just say you want to go to B's house; they already know the way here. Ask for Rnqrnuykv-17; he/she/it is a friend of mine. With any luck, you'll be back in Utah a year before you left.
    CloudWalker
    RE: Trigger Finger Revisited 2005/08/05 13:02:36 (permalink)

Uhhhhhhhh......

lol, this is great stuff. Ufo's in Utah.....ha ha.....

Las Vegas isn't too far and I'm told there's at least one of everything out there and it's either for sale or rent.

Great idea, but i dont think mom or dad will drive me that far for a keyboard.
    Ill just have to wait 5 more months and go there by myself....

(or I could just walk there)

With any luck, you'll be back in Utah a year before you left.

That scares me too, along with the fact that your "clothing optional"

I think for health and saftey reasons, I am going to stay as far away from florida as I can!
    post edited by CloudWalker - 2005/08/05 13:10:35
    CloudWalker
    RE: Trigger Finger Revisited 2005/08/05 13:16:35 (permalink)
    Hey B, Do you really think I could get my GC to sell me a Cme for less?
    What would they think of a 15 y.o kid trying to negotiate prices?!?
    post edited by CloudWalker - 2005/08/05 13:21:55
    b rock
    RE: Trigger Finger Revisited 2005/08/08 00:16:04 (permalink)
    Hey B, Do you really think I could get my GC to sell me a Cme for less?
    What would they think of a 15 y.o kid trying to negotiate prices?!?
    Of course you can. It doesn't matter whether you are 15 or 50. What you need to do is go in well-researched, and appear to be a well-informed consumer. Notice I didn't say that you really need to know everything about what you're going to purchase, you just have to know a few odd facts more than your sales rep does about the product (trust me: that's easy).

Present an air of confidence from the moment that you walk in. Come prepared with some online documentation about the product, the best prices that you've found (google the product and "best price"; you'll get a ton of sites), and note any free shipping offers or "bonus" bundling. Remember that an online purchase still has the advantage of no sales tax for an out-of-state purchase, and that can be a significant savings. Have a firm bottom-line figure in mind before you walk in, but nothing unrealistic.

Ask your sales rep for his/her name, and use it from then on like you're old buddies. Talk up the controller from the start, lobbing verbal shrapnel like your desire for the correct KB feel, the inclusion of aftertouch, the stability of the mod wheel, Chinese controller but metal construction, etc. Ask the salemen if the knobs and sliders are 6- or 8-bit cheapos, or 12- to 14-bit high resolution, and watch the wave of doubt & panic start to wash over their faces. Ask him to hook it up for you to a DAW; preferably Project5, and test it out like you're going over it with a fine-toothed comb. Drop the hint that you're building a home studio piece by piece, and this is the first of many purchases.

Announce that (if you're satisfied with it; that is) this is the KB for you, and that you will purchase it, but not necessarily at GC. Challenge the saleman to beat the best price that you've found, and remind him how saving the sales tax reduces your cost elsewhere even further. Tell him that you're waited this long, so a two-day shipping delay doesn't matter one bit to you. Turn the tables on the sales rep, and have him try to convince you to spend your money there.

I'm not going to tell you to lie to the reps, but you might bend the truth a little, if need be. Shuffle through your paperwork looking for the (imaginary) site that offers your controller for $25 less than his best offer. If they meet your bottom-line, you're all set. This would be the point where I myself might try to push it a little further, but it's a balancing act, CW. Be respectful, reasonable, but firm in your conviction. If they're way out of line with the best price, walk away and follow through with what you've said. Buy it somewhere else.

If they're in the general range, but not quite there, ask if they'll throw in those cables that you need anyway, or a power supply. Try to get them to sweeten the deal. Here's where your bottom-line figure gets a little wiggle-room. If you truly need what the sales rep is willing to 'bundle', you may be spending the same amount of money, but with added-value. Don't accept anything in the deal that you really don't want or need, as that will be useless in the long-run.

Hope that helps you out in the negotiating arena, CW. It's an acquired talent that improves with practice, but that doesn't mean that you can't act like you've been doing this for years. The 'attitude' is the key, but I can't stress enough to temper that with the Golden Rule. I myself wouldn't think of dickering prices in most other situations, but once I realized that the 'street prices' in GC were so variable, I couldn't resist playing the game with them, and it's paid off in spades.

I'm sure this really endears me to the Guitar Center corporation; first, in my personal purchases, and now by hammering the points home in an online forum.
    "Folks: keep those cards and letters coming ..." HTH
    post edited by b rock - 2005/08/08 00:27:07
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Trigger Finger Revisited 2005/08/08 08:49:27 (permalink)
    Don't be surprised if GC doesn't even know what Project5 is.

The GC I went to recently to look over MIDI controllers wanted to sell me a keyboard workstation from Korg/Yamaha/Roland. I told him that those were legacy hardware synths and I needed a MIDI controller for my incredibly flexible and better sounding softsynth studio. He said, "Softsynth studio? What software do you use."

"Cakewalk Project5," I said.

"Never heard of it...what can you do with it?" he asked.

I explained to him all of the major feature sets of Project5...as his head was spinning from the sudden inflow of educational information from this customer my wife walks up with a boxed copy of Project5 from his software shelf (God I love her--she supports my habit!) and hands it to him. I showed him what all it could do using the "screen shots" on the box.

Next time maybe I'll bring a notebook computer into his store and ask him if I can try out each of his MIDI controllers on my "notebook synthesizer" so he can seem me working with my "hardware"--maybe then he'll get it.
    CloudWalker
    RE: Trigger Finger Revisited 2005/08/08 14:26:04 (permalink)
    You guys are the best, thanks for the help.

Now I just need to decide wether I should wait another month or so to get the 61 key model instead of the 49? Im still not sure about what keyboard to get either. I really am confused. If anything, I would like a novation 61 key or a Cme 88, but that is WAY out of the bugdet range!

I hope that the cme uf5 isnt a piece of crap, and I will not havewasted my money. I've been saving all summer for this and i dont want to screw it up. In order for me to get a more reliable keyboard, I would have to wait alot longer and save alot more. *sigh* I dont know what to do... I need a job.... My head hurts... *mumble mumble*....

-C W
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1