Re-wire to Sonar (re-visited) over the hurdle!

Author
crabtwins
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1460
2005/08/04 17:39:18 (permalink)

Re-wire to Sonar (re-visited) over the hurdle!

Ive tried to do this and i wish someone could just explain why a person would do this. I would think that it adds some functionality that p5 is lacking? Mastering options? Can I put individual p5 tracks directly into SOnar? I mean what does it buy you?

thanks in advance
post edited by crabtwins - 2005/08/08 21:13:51

22 Replies Related Threads

ZuN
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 622
    RE: who rewires to SOnar and what the *%#* does it buy you? 2005/08/04 17:55:39 (permalink)
    For me personally it buys me Awesome Mixing flexibility,

You can have individual rewired Tracks in Sonar, I prefer to Freeze or bounce them down when mixing.
    Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: who rewires to SOnar and what the *%#* does it buy you? 2005/08/04 18:02:10 (permalink)
    Ive tried to do this and i wish someone could just explain why a person would do this. I would think that it adds some functionality that p5 is lacking? Mastering options? Can I put individual p5 tracks directly into SOnar? I mean what does it buy you?

For one thing, SONAR doesn't have the flexibility to preview midi clips like P5's Pattern/Loop explorer. So I can load my favorite drum kit up in my trust DR-008 and build my drum track there where I can actually hear what the clip plays before dropping it on a track. I can also hear it in tempo.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    Chris in Indy
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 484
    RE: who rewires to SOnar and what the *%#* does it buy you? 2005/08/04 21:28:39 (permalink)
    I have just started finding uses for "rewire". I too first thought that I would never have any use for rewire, but now I'm doing it more all the time. It Allows me to use P5's easy synth setup and pattern loop explorer.

As a bonus I can use the great arppegiator in P5.

Want an example?

The View from My Side

Chris in Indy ............... 
    Tascam US 2000, Behringer Power Pro 8, Akai MPD 18, Yamaha MG 82cx, Mackie MCU Pro, Mackie MR 8's, M Audio BX-5's, M Audio 61 es, Yamaha MM6, Roland SH-201, KRK-KMS 8400's, Shure SRH 1840's, Audio Technica AT 2020's, Windows 8.1 64 bit, Sonar Platinum, SoundForge 10, East/West Libraries, GPO, Real Guitar, Project 5v2, FM-7, 
    saturdaysaint
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 447
    RE: who rewires to SOnar and what the *%#* does it buy you? 2005/08/05 00:05:11 (permalink)
    I often use Project 5 for beats and synths(because of the arpeggiator, device chains and the superior piano roll) and Sonar for audio (because of the smooth and easy fades/crossfades).
    rabeach
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2703
    RE: who rewires to SOnar and what the *%#* does it buy you? 2005/08/05 00:13:32 (permalink)
    best of both worlds.
    crabtwins
    RE: who rewires to SOnar and what the *%#* does it buy you? 2005/08/05 00:26:07 (permalink)
    Can't wait for it to be obvious how to do.

Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3458
    RE: who rewires to SOnar and what the *%#* does it buy you? 2005/08/05 02:26:24 (permalink)
    Rewiring Project5 Version 2 into SONAR gives you a couple of things:

One is that you get SONAR"s more flexibile mixing environment. This can be helpful in mixing your P5 track mainly due to the fact that you have the console view and you have SONAR"S bus architecture which allows for insane routing options. If you are recording multiple tracks at once then SONAR"s multitrack capabilities are essential and then you also have SONAR"s more powerful crossfade and track comping capabilities. This is why I personally Rewire Project5 into SONAR.

There are also more benefits depending on what you are doing. Rewiring allows you to mix Project5 tracks to picture, and also mix in full surround. There's also the POWr dither (Producer Edition) which is not present in Project5.

I think the benefits from the Project5 side of things are obvious

As far as how to do it:

First set you number of Rewire outputs that you want to utilize in Project5. I generally pick 16-24, but you can choose up to 64. Open Project5 in SONAR like it's an instrument from the DXi rack (picking it out of the "Rewire" column). Each track coming from Project5 is assigned to an output (i.e. "Synth 3 L/R"). These outputs will show up as inputs in SONAR, available to be patched into any audio track. You connect it to a track in SONAR as if it were a physical input. Imagine that Project5 is a big 64 output "hardware" synth workstation, and you are plugging those outputs directly into SONAR's mixing console...quite a dream come true as I'm thinking about it

P.S. Remember you can also drag audio recordings from SONAR tracks into Project5 for use in the Groove Matrix for increased creative flexibility.
    post edited by Brandon Ryan [Cakewalk] - 2005/08/05 02:35:15

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
    Grey
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: who rewires to SOnar and what the *%#* does it buy you? 2005/08/05 09:48:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mod Bod

For one thing, SONAR doesn't have the flexibility to preview midi clips like P5's Pattern/Loop explorer. So I can load my favorite drum kit up in my trust DR-008 and build my drum track there where I can actually hear what the clip plays before dropping it on a track. I can also hear it in tempo.

Maybe I'm remembering things backwards, but doesn't Sonar's Loop explorer do this?
    SuperGreenX
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 973
    RE: who rewires to SOnar and what the *%#* does it buy you? 2005/08/05 10:30:06 (permalink)
    I really hope Cake adds some really flexible routing abilities within P5. However, maybe they won't, so that there is more incentive to add Sonar to your P5 setup. I hope that's not the case.

crabtwins
    RE: who rewires to SOnar and what the *%#* does it buy you? 2005/08/05 17:18:07 (permalink)
    It sounds like its useful but I'm not there yet. Just trying to learn about so that when I am ready it hits me like a mack truck, right now its not. Maybe someone could post a sonar project that's re-wired from/to p5. I wish.

later

crabtwins
    RE: who rewires to SOnar and what the *%#* does it buy you? 2005/08/07 19:34:57 (permalink)
    OK so I was able to set my p5 setting to route upto 32 tracks to Sonar inputs. But when I am in SOnar, the track I am selecting as an input doesnt play. The only reason I hear anything is because it is coming across the AUX and Master inputs from p5, but if I try and sollo a track I cant. Also there isnt any visible track in sonar to work on. I thought maybe I should record to each P5 track in sonar but there isnt a record button on P5 rewired tracks. What am I doing wrong? I will post on Sonar in case this isnt the place.

thanks for any responses though and for the ones here.
    .D

jvanva
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 239
    RE: who rewires to SOnar and what the *%#* does it buy you? 2005/08/07 20:05:34 (permalink)
    Do you have a Sonar audio track assigned for each Project 5 track you want to bring over? If not you should create them.

When you first establish the rewire connection from Sonar's synth rack, the dialog box that appears gives you the option of creating the first audio track or creating all of them. Tick the box for all if you want your 32 tracks to be pre-assigned.

Alternatively, you can create the audio tracks as you need them and select a P5 output from each created audio track's input. Just click on Sonar's audio track's input dropdown and you should see a Project 5 submenu. From that submenu, you can pick the project 5 output for that track.

Note that the each output of Project 5 multi-output synths are counted as a track, so you must take that into account when selecting a P5 output for the Sonar input.

Conversely, if you are trying to drive P5 midi from Sonar, then you will need a Sonar midi track. Set the output of the track to Project 5 via the dropdown and select which of the 16 channels you wish to transmit your midi on. (Unfortunately, 16 is all you get when driving a rewire device from Sonar.)

Anyway, I hope this gets you over the hump.

Good Luck!!

jvanva
    post edited by jvanva - 2005/08/07 20:16:39

My reputation precedes me - otherwise I'd be late for all my appointments.
    rabeach
    RE: who rewires to SOnar and what the *%#* does it buy you? 2005/08/08 02:08:02 (permalink)
    I thought maybe I should record
    look in sonar help 'bounce to tracks' this will create audio tracks from the rewired p5 tracks and you can begin mix down in sonar. i usually get rid of the rewired p5 after i have bounced all the tracks to audio. also if you look in p5 after rewiring, the synth tracks will have a new number associated with them in brackets [1] these are an aid to help you identify synths with multiple outs when binding to audio tracks in sonar. lets say if the first synth you have in p5 has 5 multiple outs (i think velocity has 5) but you are only using the first one. the first binding to an audio track in sonar you would choose synth 1. the next synth in p5 you would bind to the next audio track in sonar would be synth 6 and if you look in p5 you will see a [6] on the second synth.
    crabtwins
    RE: who rewires to SOnar and what the *%#* does it buy you? 2005/08/08 11:00:33 (permalink)
    Thanks rabeach! That is some new info. I will try it.

agincourtdb
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4753
    RE: who rewires to SOnar and what the *%#* does it buy you? 2005/08/08 14:14:13 (permalink)
    There should be a how-to-rewire-P5-to-Sonar tutorial in the P5 Wiki. I think I wrote one.

Ah yes. There's two articles here. http://p5.sonarama.com/p5/index.php/Software_List

crabtwins
    RE: who rewires to SOnar and what the *%#* does it buy you? 2005/08/08 15:11:14 (permalink)
    Thanks agin I will check it. I keep forgetting about that darn wiki! Hope it helps me.

James D
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 182
    RE: who rewires to SOnar and what the *%#* does it buy you? 2005/08/08 17:39:47 (permalink)
    I read the tutorial and I thought it was well written, however there coud be a little more clarity when it comes to the bouncing part of rewiring from P5 to Sonar.

Also, when bouncing rewire tracks, remember to select the region you want in the time ruler (click and drag from the end).

I believe that you should specify that the person is clicking and dragging the time ruler in Sonar and not trying to perform this in P5. The reason I say this, is because one can look in Sonar and see that there isn't Audio data in the tracks that have been created from the rewiring, however if you look on the P5 side you will see the data filled tracks which instinctively makes you want to click and drag on the music that you know is indeed present to click on.

In other words, an individual can say, "If there isn't anything present in sonar, then why and how can I click and drag across the time ruler bar?

I hope this helps,

Peace
    post edited by James D - 2005/08/08 17:46:24

Enjoy the sweet sound of music forever!
    Sonar5
    crabtwins
    RE: who rewires to SOnar and what the *%#* does it buy you? 2005/08/08 19:22:33 (permalink)
    James,

You hit the nail on the head. Of course right now I want to hit myself in the head with a hammer cause I cant figure this out. No offence agin or anyone else for that matter, but wherever I read about this re-wire biz, its "then just bounce your tracks and have a great time." Well I must be doing something wrong cause I dont get jack diddly in the the sonar clips pane. I can hear but I cant see. For that reason Im sitting here thinking what is so great about re-wire if I have nothing visible to do fades,effects on? Also I believe there is a bounce to track in p5 and in Sonar. Which one are they talking about?

agin,
    The tutorial taught me some things I didnt know but I needed more in the now what section for bouncing. Hope that i help you see the dunce factor. Another thing that was throwing me off was that I wasnt getting the DXI options dialog cause I clicked dont show this again, way back when.

thanks everyone for their help on this.

P.S. Agin when you say strip all effects did you also mean arp? and width? How will I achieve that in sonar? Anyway, still on the quest for the visible audio P5tracks in sonar clips pane.

later gators

crabtwins
    RE: Re-wire to Sonar (re-visited) 2005/08/08 21:08:40 (permalink)
    over the hurdle. The problem was that I wasnt selecting the time line. It really isnt intuitive but when I grappled with James D's post I picked it up. Thanks!

agincourtdb
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4753
    RE: who rewires to SOnar and what the *%#* does it buy you? 2005/08/08 21:19:11 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: crabtwins

No offence agin or anyone else for that matter, but wherever I read about this re-wire biz, its "then just bounce your tracks and have a great time." Well I must be doing something wrong cause I dont get jack diddly in the the sonar clips pane. I can hear but I cant see. For that reason Im sitting here thinking what is so great about re-wire if I have nothing visible to do fades,effects on? Also I believe there is a bounce to track in p5 and in Sonar. Which one are they talking about?

None taken. :-) writing a tutorial can be tricky, because you never know exactly how much detail to go into. There's always going to be some basic knowledge that you have to assume the reader has, and sometimes you shoot wide of the mark. Sorry if it was confusing. I'll go in and edit mine to be clearer.

P.S. Agin when you say strip all effects did you also mean arp? and width? How will I achieve that in sonar? Anyway, still on the quest for the visible audio P5tracks in sonar clips pane.

later gators

I don't know of any way to natively change the stereo width of a track in Sonar. There are plugins for this, though. But I would just do it in Project 5 if you're adjusting the width of single tracks only (as opposed to your stereo mix).

The Arp, since it's an integrated part of P5, and also, in my opinion, is not an effect per se but part of the track's program. (because it effects the track before the sound is generated by altering the midi instructions before they reach the instrument..)

rabeach
    RE: Re-wire to Sonar (re-visited) 2005/08/08 21:20:17 (permalink)
    once you get there it is wonderful. it is a hard thing to describe apparently 'bounce to tracks' as i could not understand cake's explanation at all. i just kept at it many moons ago and voilà the interaction of all life somehow lead me there. congrats crabtwins.
    James D
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 182
    RE: Re-wire to Sonar (re-visited) 2005/08/09 12:25:14 (permalink)
    Again,

I just wanted to state for the record that the tutorial was indeed a blessing because it showed me what I had to do inorder to rewire P5 into Sonar when I first started rewiring. I could not have done it without the "AgincourtDB's guide to Rewiring Project5 into Sonar"

I read the rewire instructions form the P5 Manual and I have to say that hiting record did nothing for me at all. I thought my copy of P5 was corrupt or something. Then I made my way to the P5 Wiki, boy was relieved that there was a rewire manual.

Me must keep in mind that the writers of a great deal of the help files posted on the on the Project5 site and the wiki board have been using the product since version 1. So, if they forget to include a simple step every once in a while. It's only because it's routine to them. I am just happy that they document better than Cake.

Keep up the great contributions guys

Peace,

Enjoy the sweet sound of music forever!
    Sonar5
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1