Question for Ron Kuper and Cakewalk...

Author
tazman
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2435
2005/08/05 08:41:07 (permalink)

Question for Ron Kuper and Cakewalk...

Hi Ron - with the fact that many people seem to have the same issues (including myself and my SONAR setup has always been rock solid) such as tracks stop playing, tooltips no longer pop up, automation issues (I noticed, for instance, that say I automate the mute button, during playback it is muting, but the button does not change to yellow which when you have lots of tracks it gets confusing to know if it is happening or not), are you guys planning on any more patches or updates and do you have a time frame?

Thanks,
post edited by tazman - 2005/08/05 08:46:54

7 Replies Related Threads

Master Chief [Cakewalk]
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1053
    RE: Question for Ron Kuper and Cakewalk... 2005/08/05 10:52:04 (permalink)
    Hi Ron - with the fact that many people seem to have the same issues
    The tool tips and mute button issues are not new to 4.0.3 as far as I know, nor were these particular bugs even targeted to be fixed in 4.0.3.

If we had seen the "tracks stop playing during record" issue during the beta there is no doubt we would have held up the release to fix it. We held up the release several times due to serious problems that were caught at the 11th hour by our beta team. (BTW, incredible kudos to the beta team. They hung in and worked harder on this patch than you can imagine.)

However, several times during the beta a show stopper bug was reported, only to be determined to be a system configuration issue, or to have some other workaround. The track playback issue seems like such a situation: it isn't widespread and isn't yet unreproduceable by us or our beta team.

I can imagine that tracks could become muted in a disk read underrun situation, i.e., when you HD was unable to read data fast enough to get it rendered to the audio hardware. During recording SONAR prioritizes disk writes ahead of disk reads to prevent data loss, so this kind of read underrun becomes even more likely.

Have you tried adjusting your disk I/O buffer sizes or defragging your disk?
    tazman
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2435
    RE: Question for Ron Kuper and Cakewalk... 2005/08/05 11:04:19 (permalink)
    The drive was defragged. The odd thing was that I stopped playback, rewound and it kept doing that. What fixed it is I selected the offending clip, hit delete and then undo to bring it back. That fixed it. I did have layers turned on on that particular track as we were doing punch-ins. If it happens again I will contact tech support right away.

I didn't mean that all those issues were related to the 4.0.3 patch. The patch, other than the issue with the tracks going silent, has worked great for me. I was just curious to know if there were any more patches on the way.

I hope it didn't sound as I was complaining. I am not complaining in any way. I am VERY happy with SONAR overall.

Thanks,
    adasmic
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: Question for Ron Kuper and Cakewalk... 2005/08/08 02:38:54 (permalink)
    Bump!
    ooblecaboodle
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2102
    RE: Question for Ron Kuper and Cakewalk... 2005/08/08 15:17:36 (permalink)
    The track playback issue seems like such a situation: it isn't widespread and isn't yet unreproduceable by us or our beta team

What exactly does; isn't yet unreproducable, mean? does it mean that you can reproduce it, but can't find a workaround?
    I'm getting nervous about this, I've got a rather large professional project coming up in the next two months, and I want to know that Sonar is capable of surviving it. Rest assured i'll be stress testing my machine very thoroughly in the lead up to this, but there's always this niggle in the back of my mind.
    Oh, and kudos, Ron, on the 4.0.3 patch. For me - so far - everything is well, and the smoothness of the new engine is beyond belief!
    The Scar
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 760
    RE: Question for Ron Kuper and Cakewalk... 2005/08/08 17:37:27 (permalink)
    I've got a rather large professional project coming up in the next two months
    Then stay at 4.0.2
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it just before clients or a paid gig walks in the door.

Electro Punk 'n' Roll at www.myspace.com/thescar
    LaptopPop
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 853
    RE: Question for Ron Kuper and Cakewalk... 2005/08/08 17:40:49 (permalink)
    I strongly suspect "unreproducible" was a typo. "reproducible" fits the context of the answer better.

-lee-
    ooblecaboodle
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2102
    RE: Question for Ron Kuper and Cakewalk... 2005/08/09 05:58:22 (permalink)
    Unfortunately, I think you've got the correct solution. I really wich I could use that super smooth new engine though.
    ORIGINAL: The Scar

I've got a rather large professional project coming up in the next two months
    Then stay at 4.0.2
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it just before clients or a paid gig walks in the door.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1