So close, so far... only 2 audio ins?

Author
darc
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 764
2005/08/05 09:25:13 (permalink)

So close, so far... only 2 audio ins?

I am only just beginning to understand the point of Project 5 versus a Sonar for instance, so please bear with me. I've only scratched the surface but the real differences strike me as quantitative more than qualitative.

The last couple of nights I've been composing and recording exclusively in P5 and I'm really starting to love the interface. The essence of it seems to be that Cakewalk stripped any hint of redundancy out of Sonar and arrived at P5 - even redundancies that are inherent to standard Windows development, like toolbars corresponding with menu items, are gone. So, lots of on-screen real estate, minimal distraction, a tiny user's manual... all good.

I started to think I would be doing the majority of my work in P5 going forward, when this hit me: there are only two audio inputs available during a session of P5??? The UI is clear enough on this point, but I almost can't believe it. Am I missing something here? Is this a problem unique to my audio drivers? (Presonus Firepod, BTW.)

I can almost see this being sufficient for sitting at the desk working out tracks (except in my case the Firepod will only enable/disable phantom power on channels 1-4/4-8, so heaven forbid I need both at the same time...) But it kills my whole dream of using P5 to arrange songs, and then loading up the same file in the same app to perform those songs with other musicians live.

Am I missing something? Do I just not get it? Does anyone else agree that this, in many respects, cripples a potentially stellar app. Any recommendations/ workarounds? I haven't worked with rewire yet and there may be something there, but I don't want to get into a huge multi-app solution as this would be less reliable, and much harder on a live laptop solution.

In short... WAAH!

29 Replies Related Threads

Grey
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: So close, so far... only 2 audio ins? 2005/08/05 09:45:10 (permalink)
    Yes, there are only 2 inputs. The program was originally designed as an all in one electronic music workstation (a little like Reason).

I'm not sure I understand why you would need multiple inputs for live play. Can you clarify?
    post edited by Grey - 2005/08/05 09:50:46
    saturdaysaint
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 447
    RE: So close, so far... only 2 audio ins? 2005/08/05 10:09:07 (permalink)
    For now, it's probably most productive to think of Project 5's audio features as extras - it's mostly a powerful and fun softsynth environment, kind of an open-host version of Reason with a really hot bundle of effects and synths. There are other limitations (lack of proper crossfading and comping tools) that make Rewired Sonar far better for audio anyway. That bent me out of shape a little bit at first - and it is frustrating if you focus on why two fairly similar programs made by the same people lack a few crucial features of the other program - but if you focus on P5's core strength, intuitive softsynth fun, there's a lot you can do.
    SuperGreenX
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 973
    RE: So close, so far... only 2 audio ins? 2005/08/05 10:26:10 (permalink)
    A bit off topic: I'm wondering why people often describe P5 as "Cakewalk's answer to Reason" or "open host version of Reason." Reason seems extremely different from P5 to me. P5, to me, seems to more of a competitor to FLStudio and now Abelton Live than it is to Reason.

darc
    RE: So close, so far... only 2 audio ins? 2005/08/05 10:41:19 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply, Grey. Yes, I'd love to clarify and I hope Cakewalk has their ears on!

Imagine you've been working on a song for couple of days and in the course of that time you've tracked several harmonies of your own vocals, a guitar track w/ corresponding audio plugins, a bass track with same, and a couple of softsynths. All of the effects, the panning, the mix, are just perfect. Now imagine if, instead of trying to reinvent the wheel (and almost certainly comprimising) by reworking everything at a mixing board when you play live, you could just have your band jack into your audio/MIDI interface and play through that project, out in stereo, direct to a PA. Imagine your live mix sounding just like you intended, without any redundant effort.

This is critical not only for performance, but for those quick rehearsals after work, where you're trying to keep the easily distracted drummer inspired. Problem is, while you may have used one input to track all those harmonies in the studio, you'll need more inputs for your backup vocalists' mics etc.
    post edited by darc - 2005/08/05 10:50:49
    darc
    RE: So close, so far... only 2 audio ins? 2005/08/05 10:44:31 (permalink)
    "if you focus on P5's core strength, intuitive softsynth fun, there's a lot you can do."

Yes, I can definitely see that. But I'm always looking for one single app that can get as much done as possible, and having found it I will tend to shelf the others. I can't see getting 90% of the way there and then having to jump through hoops exporting/importing/converting because of one achille's heel. Two inputs is really a bit of a tragedy. All you have to do is stereo mic one source and you're done.
    darc
    RE: So close, so far... only 2 audio ins? 2005/08/05 11:07:29 (permalink)
    With apologies for talking to myself... I think this bears mention: there's a certain irony in that I would be more likely to use Project 5 live than I would Sonar, but this limitation is a killer from a live standpoint. Ironically, I seldom use more than two inputs sitting in the studio, but in the studio, Sonar is the obvious powerhouse. So this hiccup alone will probably drive me to use the wrong tool for either job.

I must quote myself: "WAAAH."
    ZuN
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 622
    RE: So close, so far... only 2 audio ins? 2005/08/05 11:48:21 (permalink)
    Hey Marc, I understand your points,
    P5 was never intended to be used as a "Live" host inititaly, It was to be a "virtual studio" so if someone had no gear to make music they could go out and buy this piece of software and if they had a decent sound card they could make music, or A person with his/her own studio could use it as an alternative . It was Reason's comepetition because Reason basically does the same thing, it gives you a "virtual studio", and because of Reason's popularity at the time people made the 1:1 connection. P5 was given the "Open host" name because you could use all the cool synths/effects that were available on the web and in retail, where as Reason you could only use the instruments/effects it came with.

Now with P5 2.0 we are now seeing its "live" features in infancy, and I can expect that it will grow and mature into something more robust and flexible as time comes. Hell look at Ableton Live its at version 5 and its still not the perfect studio/live enviroment, I know others will beg to differ, but thats just what I think.

I know having only a single stereo input to record at a time is a bit of a limit, but i know recording audio wasn't P5's original intention when I purchased the software which is why I had Sonar or Pro Audio, I cant remember what i was using, so that aspect doesn't bug me. It still does what I wanted it to do from version 1 only way better now. And I know things will get better with future releases.

just my 2
    darc
    RE: So close, so far... only 2 audio ins? 2005/08/05 13:12:32 (permalink)
    It makes a certain amount of sense in light of the evolution from a softsynth environment to an audio environment, but as soon as audio comes to the table, a limit of two channels is really arbitrary. Extensibility is one of the first benefits in all things virtual. Like many of this forum's members I'm a software developer, and I'm willing to bet that enumerating all available inputs on a selected ASIO (etc) device and dropping them in the menu where "Left/Right/Stereo" presently live would take the right programmer a couple of hours at most. These additional options could sit in a submenu if Cakewalk is inclined to keep the interface tidy for non-power-users.

In my opinion, this would be a transformative enhancement, and if Cakewalk isn't rushing to release a patch it's because marketing is playing product differentiation games against Sonar. If that's the case, that's just tragic. Imagine the advertising value if, after a gig, everybody that approaches every member of your band to ask about a tone or effect they like gets the same answer: "We're all running through that one instance Project 5, on Joe's lappy over there." That's major.
    post edited by darc - 2005/08/05 13:18:06
    rabeach
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2703
    RE: So close, so far... only 2 audio ins? 2005/08/05 13:25:50 (permalink)
    keep the easily distracted drummer inspired
    loose the mommy heartbeat and turn him loose like animal on the muppets distraction problem solved. :-)
    MurderDethKill
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1904
    RE: So close, so far... only 2 audio ins? 2005/08/05 16:37:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rabeach

loose the mommy heartbeat and turn him loose like animal on the muppets-distraction problem solved. :-)

I wondered where my old drummer would turn up at after we fired him.
    ....ticktickticktick....

My site i guess;)
    Monstruousubergeekyhardcorefunkytrancepolkaoptimism Lives!!!
    wrench45us
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4991
    RE: So close, so far... only 2 audio ins? 2005/08/05 20:26:30 (permalink)
    It makes a certain amount of sense in light of the evolution from a softsynth environment to an audio environment, but as soon as audio comes to the table, a limit of two channels is really arbitrary. Extensibility is one of the first benefits in all things virtual. Like many of this forum's members I'm a software developer, and I'm willing to bet that enumerating all available inputs on a selected ASIO (etc) device and dropping them in the menu where "Left/Right/Stereo" presently live would take the right programmer a couple of hours at most. These additional options could sit in a submenu if Cakewalk is inclined to keep the interface tidy for non-power-users.

this really sound more like the utterance of a software manager than a software developer
    all things virtual start using up resources, cpu cycles and memory
    dropping the menu would probably take a few hours, opening the channels, recording -- I'm thinking multi-threaded low-level work
    There may be a reason that P5 is more 'gapless' than Sonar and now Sonar is trying to play catch up on that front.

I don't need or want audio recording. This isn't Sonar Lite.
    otoh, I'm fairly sure this is a likely development path, for better or worse.

and if Cakewalk isn't rushing to release a patch it's because marketing is playing product differentiation games against Sonar. If that's the case, that's just tragic.

we've been informed a few times that product differentiation is not as much a concern to CW management than it seems to be to users

darc
    RE: So close, so far... only 2 audio ins? 2005/08/07 10:42:20 (permalink)
    "this really sound more like the utterance of a software manager than a software developer"

I can assure you I'm no optimistic manager. I've been a straight code-monkey for about 20 years now.

"all things virtual start using up resources, cpu cycles and memory"

This argument is not a concern that should limit the feature set of the application. This is an argument that governs how any given user runs the application on any given computer. Otherwise I might make the argument that P5 shouldn't run more than 2 softsynths at once, because they use too much in the way of CPU/memory resources.

"dropping the menu would probably take a few hours..."

Dropping menus on a windows app takes, quite literally a few minutes, unless you're spending way too much time at the water cooler. Determining dynamically what should be in those menus is slightly more involved, but...

"opening the channels, recording -- I'm thinking multi-threaded low-level work"

None of this work is ground-up, low-level programming. This sort of feature extension would build on the abstractions already developed for the audio engine as implemented. I'm not sure whether you're a programmer yourself, but someone ought to be able to come to my defense here. The biggest cost to Cakewalk in a fix and release like this would be in QA - basically all of the testing and release management they go through when they release anything. But if this were part of a forthcoming service release, the additional cost would be minimal.

"There may be a reason that P5 is more 'gapless' than Sonar and now Sonar is trying to play catch up on that front. I don't need or want audio recording. This isn't Sonar Lite."

Well, you've already got it. If you don't want more than 2 channels of them, simply don't use them. I think I've already illustrated where this mod. would benefit alot of musicians in a lot of environments.
    rabeach
    RE: So close, so far... only 2 audio ins? 2005/08/07 11:11:26 (permalink)
    I can assure you I'm no optimistic manager. I've been a straight code-monkey for about 20 years now.
    maybe you could use the quote button then. :-) no offence but your post are very difficult to read. algorithms algorithms everybody and nobody but cake knows why they only have the number of audio ins that they do. the first precept of modern (this timeline we currently reside in) software development is to be able to sell it. the second how can i develop it in a way to sell more. just saw i robot yesterday for the first time. i like the part about ghost. lol. dsp algorithms are far more complicated than a lot of people realize and not designed to optimally run on your standard cpu you will typically find in a pc. and quite frankly were developed to solve analog problems in the digital world. they have been adapted for use in this industry (audio consumer).
    darc
    RE: So close, so far... only 2 audio ins? 2005/08/07 11:42:48 (permalink)
    maybe you could use the quote button then. :-) no offence but your post are very difficult to read.

Better?

algorithms algorithms everybody and nobody but cake knows why they only have the number of audio ins that they do.

This isn't any kind of reason not to look for a reasonable explanation, or better still, an improvement. I can totally understand if 90% of you don't care one way or another about this, but to actually argue that P5 shouldn't let you use your own hardware seems bizarre, maybe a little contrarian, to me.

dsp algorithms are far more complicated than a lot of people realize and not designed to optimally run on your standard cpu you will typically find in a pc.

This really isn't a complicated DSP problem, and moreover, this is Cakewalk's field of expertise. If what I propose were to take a couple of days instead of a couple of hours it wouldn't change my arguments one iota. Do you really think that if a customer invests in a better audio interface P5 should remain hampered by a hardcoded 2-channel limit? Arguing that sales concerns are closely wound up in software design puts you squarely on my side of the fence.
    rabeach
    RE: So close, so far... only 2 audio ins? 2005/08/07 18:09:39 (permalink)
    i'm not arguing with you. i use sonar so it's not an issue with me but if it is one with you by all means make yourself heard. not saying it is or is not a marketing issue cake has stead fast said otherwise on many occasions. not saying it is a complicated dsp problem just in my contrarian serendipitous synchronicitized way saying i don't know and it probably has something to do with nothing we have mentioned. there now i've added at least one new form of a word to the english lexicon. :-) bring peace to this world eat a dinosaur.
    wrench45us
    RE: So close, so far... only 2 audio ins? 2005/08/07 20:22:59 (permalink)

i am a software developer
    one thing i have learned is not to make assumptions about how any given feature's been implemented and how easily it would be to extend and what effect that may have, even if not utilized

that said
    i believe i already said for better or worse I expect this is a likely development path for P5 -- just bear in mind this audio world and the Groove Matrix live performance modes are extensions to whatever model was in place for v 1.0. some designs accept these sort of extensions better than others, but everything has its limits

and that said i prefer not to argue
    you do make some valid points
    this is definitely an area that i expect a lot of new P5 users would like to see extended
    there's already another thread on why there's only 4 aux busses
    more audio would also mean more impetus for increased audio editing capability etc etc etc

MurderDethKill
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1904
    RE: So close, so far... only 2 audio ins? 2005/08/07 22:14:09 (permalink)
    I would like more audio inputs, Aux Busses, and goshdernit, *Video Inputs*.

Project 5 Version 5!!!! Now with smell-o-vision!!!

i gots a code ind my nose
    post edited by MurderDethKill - 2005/08/07 22:21:08

My site i guess;)
    Monstruousubergeekyhardcorefunkytrancepolkaoptimism Lives!!!
    saturdaysaint
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 447
    RE: So close, so far... only 2 audio ins? 2005/08/07 22:30:36 (permalink)
    I'm a big fan of Project 5, but I don't think it's as "close" as you think to being an all-encompassing midi AND audio sequencer. Even IF there were more inputs, I think you'd be ill-advised to record a band with it. Heck, I'm a one-man band that only records one instrument at a time, and I never use it for audio because the crossfading and editing features just aren't there. I wouldn't mind seeing more audio functionality in the future, but I'm glad that they've really focused their resources on polishing sofsynth/MIDI workflow, which is the stated mission of the program in the first place.

wz061s
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 385
    RE: So close, so far... only 2 audio ins? 2005/08/08 00:13:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: darc

Thanks for the reply, Grey. Yes, I'd love to clarify and I hope Cakewalk has their ears on!

Imagine you've been working on a song for couple of days and in the course of that time you've tracked several harmonies of your own vocals, a guitar track w/ corresponding audio plugins, a bass track with same, and a couple of softsynths. All of the effects, the panning, the mix, are just perfect. Now imagine if, instead of trying to reinvent the wheel (and almost certainly comprimising) by reworking everything at a mixing board when you play live, you could just have your band jack into your audio/MIDI interface and play through that project, out in stereo, direct to a PA. Imagine your live mix sounding just like you intended, without any redundant effort.

This is critical not only for performance, but for those quick rehearsals after work, where you're trying to keep the easily distracted drummer inspired. Problem is, while you may have used one input to track all those harmonies in the studio, you'll need more inputs for your backup vocalists' mics etc.

darc,

Even if you were using a DAW program like Sonar or Live that had multiple audio inputs, the main problem I see with the band "playing through" your project is that you would have to be playing the project at extreme low latency to keep your band from not getting disoriented from the time lag. Even if all your tracks were frozen or rendered to audio, I am presuming that the point of playing through the project is to gain the benefit of VST/DX plug ins for EQ, track effects and send effects on your live input sources, which will take CPU cycles.

Unfortunately, all of those effects will be consuming significantly higher CPU at low latencies needed for live use. And of course, enabling 8 inputs takes more CPU than enabling one or two.

Don't get me wrong. Theoretically, you can do what you propose today using Sonar or Live. But, you may need a massive amount of computing power to make it all happen depending on the nature of your performance.

That is why most folks playing live along with a DAW host will set the host for a higher latency (to lower cpu), and use a separate output from the DAW to feed timing information to the players (such as a click track or discrete monitor mix). Then, outputs from the DAW host can feed into the main mixing console along with your live players.

Again, for the above scenario you would need a host like Sonar or Live that can address multiple outputs in order to provide the monitor mix. Also, live players needing effects enhancement would need to use outboard effects on the way to the console, or as a send effect in the console, since hi latency settings on the DAW makes live monitoring through the DAW impossible due to the audio delay. A high tech alternative to outboard effects could be separate computer laptops / audio interfaces dedicated to running a given player's individual low latency audio effects feeding into the console.

Hope this helps...

EnzymeX (wz061s)

I Support Dongle and Pace free Software

http://www.enzymex.com
    rabeach
    RE: So close, so far... only 2 audio ins? 2005/08/08 08:44:49 (permalink)
    i am a software developer
    one thing i have learned is not to make assumptions about how any given feature's been implemented and how easily it would be to extend and what effect that may have, even if not utilized

i agree. ti and motorola dsp here. i fell in love with assembly. realized early on adding and shifting is all you need for luv. :-) learning to program via binary though is the true mark of an extraterrestrial.
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: So close, so far... only 2 audio ins? 2005/08/08 08:57:31 (permalink)

Cakewalk has an excellent add-on product for Project5 that will accomplish exactly this multi-input live mixing type of task. The product is called SONAR. Usually when there is a SONAR product upgrade cycle (like the forthcoming version 5) they have a special offer for Project5 users to pick up SONAR at a much lower price.

Using the SONAR add-on product you can get surround-sound mixing (PE edition), a lot of excellent plugins, multiple audio busses, and a lot of cool mixer-type features. It takes Project5's recording to a whole new level. You can either export your Project5 audio and inport it into SONAR or you can use SONAR as a rewire host to control Project5's playback. SONAR is a very cool Project5 add-on product!
    wrench45us
    RE: So close, so far... only 2 audio ins? 2005/08/08 09:22:00 (permalink)

let's see if we can list all the basic features sets a modern DAW could have

-- multi-channel audio recording and editing

-- multi channel live performance with interactive and 'canned' looping

-- acidized looping with timestretch and tempo match, pitch shift, start and end point editing

-- midi recording and editing

-- virtual mixing board/busses

-- automation and/or live performance/playback across loop patterns and tracks

-- video production sync

all of which would seem to say Sonar and Live as add-ons to P5 would really round things out

darc
    RE: So close, so far... only 2 audio ins? 2005/08/08 09:23:19 (permalink)
    Hoo-boy, where to begin... Well first off, maybe I used the word "argument" too many times in my last couple of posts. I appreciate wrench's allowing that I made some valid points. I know nothing is as simple as throwing a switch, but I think anyone in software recognizes that Cakewalk doesn't reinvent the wheel everytime they add an instance of a feature. (eg. Rabeach, programming in binary is not always the best approach.)

S. Saint, I don't have any interest in recording and producing a rock band w/ Project 5, and techead, I already own Sonar (and have used it exclusively since the non-audio Cakewalk days.) And wz, I totally understand that trying to keep a band live through one PC at live latencies is a bit of a juggling act. I've been doing it on souped-up Sonar rigs for years now. I'm not necessarily talking about a grand project here - today's PC's are more than capable of monitoring a virtual guitar rig or two, a soft-drum kit for the drummers pads, and an aux bus with 'verb etc for a couple of vocals in real time. And consumer-level PCs aren't getting any slower.

I just see P5 as a more efficient environment for tracking/ monitoring/ performing select tracks of a band. Obviously, Sonar is an audio production environment where P5 simply is not. But I can't see why our hands should be tied with regards to enabling and selecting audio inputs.

(The problem with using Sonar, Live, etc. as "add-ons" to P5 is that the additional footprint (ie. resource consumption) exacerbates the problem you cite - the difficulty of keeping a PC running smoothly for any given number/type of tracks. I'm just eternally frustrated with products (both hardware and software) that come so close to getting the job done... but don't quite.. until you are installing/ loading/ just plain lugging technology, most of which is redundant. Here's an opportunity to avoid that.)
    post edited by darc - 2005/08/08 09:33:48
    mike85021
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1532
    RE: So close, so far... only 2 audio ins? 2005/08/08 14:38:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: MurderDethKill

I would like more audio inputs, Aux Busses, and goshdernit, *Video Inputs*.

Project 5 Version 5!!!! Now with smell-o-vision!!!

i gots a code ind my nose

Dat wud be Sonar yer lerkin'fer, boy!

NEWS FLASH - Cakewalk announced today that SONAR, its flagship software, in its fifth version, will offer several levels to meet the needs of its various users. In addition to their Home and Professional editions, this version comes with an even more advanced Health Professional Edition. Among its black bag of tricks – High Colonics featuring slow release effects, Real Time X-ray with video, HMO (Hum out) and HMI (Hum in), bed panning, and another great synth, Anesthesia DX, specializing in atmospheric pads and Very Long Effects.
    post edited by mike85021 - 2005/08/08 14:44:11

Mikey T
    Eclectica de Esoterium
  • mike85021 @cox.net
    Just say NO!
    wz061s
    RE: So close, so far... only 2 audio ins? 2005/08/08 20:14:12 (permalink)

...wz, I totally understand that trying to keep a band live through one PC at live latencies is a bit of a juggling act. I've been doing it on souped-up Sonar rigs for years now. I'm not necessarily talking about a grand project here - today's PC's are more than capable of monitoring a virtual guitar rig or two, a soft-drum kit for the drummers pads, and an aux bus with 'verb etc for a couple of vocals in real time. And consumer-level PCs aren't getting any slower.

(The problem with using Sonar, Live, etc. as "add-ons" to P5 is that the additional footprint (ie. resource consumption) exacerbates the problem you cite - the difficulty of keeping a PC running smoothly for any given number/type of tracks. I'm just eternally frustrated with products (both hardware and software) that come so close to getting the job done... but don't quite.. until you are installing/ loading/ just plain lugging technology, most of which is redundant. Here's an opportunity to avoid that.)

Darc,

Is your souped up Sonar rig desktop or laptop based? You've got me thinking about the possibilities...

My live rig is 1.4 Ghz Centrino laptop with 1.5 GB of RAM, a MOTU 828 MKii, and some USB controllers. Definitely not enough horsepower for what you are describing.
    post edited by wz061s - 2005/08/09 00:57:17

EnzymeX (wz061s)

I Support Dongle and Pace free Software

http://www.enzymex.com
    darc
    RE: So close, so far... only 2 audio ins? 2005/08/09 09:04:28 (permalink)
    "Is your souped up Sonar rig desktop or laptop based? You've got me thinking about the possibilities..."

Cool - A few more posts and maybe I'll have a convert!

I've gone through a lot of PC's over the past couple of years, mostly built from parts. But the most recent rig was an Alienware Area 51m laptop - a desktop replacement class with P4 3GHz, 512M RAM, and a quick HDD. I've since sold that machine (too bulky for gigs) and built a new shuttle system w/ an AMD Athlon 3800, 2G RAM, 10,000RPM RAID 0 and all that good stuff that comes relatively cheap in a desktop package. Obviously it would be a hassle to bring this system to a public performance, but I think we're within about a year of a Pentium M/Centrino machine that can keep up as well as that Alienware P4 did. And that machine would get through rehearsals in Sonar tracking a 4-piece band with VSampler providing a drum kit, tons of time based effects running, etc. Of course I always had efficiency in mind when building those Sonar projects, but the main idea was to get a monitor mix that sounded as inspiring as you imagined the song in the first place, while capturing the individual performances to dry tracks for post-production later.

Even back when I was running really slow PCs I found them useful for reverb. You can run a zero-latency feed through your sound interface, and mix in a high-latency all-wet reverb signal, and the latency at that point is just reverb predelay.
    post edited by darc - 2005/08/09 09:10:08
    wz061s
    RE: So close, so far... only 2 audio ins? 2005/08/09 11:33:33 (permalink)
    darc,

Your have provided a lot of good information - thanks for posting. My studio PC is a LiquidDAW Athlon 64 3700+ with 2GB, twin 300GB drives, etc., and I am sure it will do what you describe. AMD rocks. But my baby is not leaving the house - no way.

I'm still not sure that a newer Pentium M laptop (essentially P3 technology), would be able to handle your scenario. Still, a year from now there should be SOMETHING in a smaller/rugged form factor that would work!
    wrench45us
    RE: So close, so far... only 2 audio ins? 2005/08/09 12:15:55 (permalink)

i've been a proponent of shuttle systems for some time
    unfortunately that's based on work experience not personal
    (until next time)

but for performers what's the downside to using a Shuttle box?
    it would seem to me it's much more rugged/reliable than a notebook package

but then if you think the Aleinware notebook is too awkward for live work...

darc
    RE: So close, so far... only 2 audio ins? 2005/08/09 13:24:10 (permalink)
    A shuttle makes a great performance rig - the hardware is much more predictable than the highly proprietary stuff they wedge into laptops. But the downside is the need to bring along and setup an external keyboard, mouse, and monitor. I think it's feasible if you're playing long sets exclusively, but I do a lot of open mics and multi-band shows where you've gotta be setup in literally a couple of minutes, and then break down just as fast to get your valuable gear out of the way. That's where a laptop is much preferred.

wz, I'm not really sure how your Centrino will fare. I have been meaning to do some tests on my wife's 1.5GHz Vaio - when I get around to it I'll let you know how it keeps up. Yours might do better than you expect, given all that RAM, the biggest achilles heel in those systems is typically the 5200RPM HDD.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1