Slightly disappointed in SHS4

Author
DeBro
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 742
2005/08/06 14:49:23 (permalink)

Slightly disappointed in SHS4

I thought when I click on the volume button in the Main Control Bar according to the video I saw, it would launch my sound card's mixer. Instead of the Emu PatchMix mixer, a Windows mixer came up.

Anyhow, I decided to remove the Main Control Bar. Who in the world design that thing? It's ugly. I replaced it with some of the regular tool bars. When I need a function from the other tool bars, I go View > Tool Bars. When I'm done, I remove it. Here's my default Track View in a heavily modified Sonar 2 color scheme.

If you notice in the Track Pane, what seperates the audio tracks are the horizontal track meters. CAKEWALK, the Track Header Tint does not work! Also when the program is launched for the first time, there's a thin strip that seperates the Track Pane from the Clips Pane not allowing you to see the dB scale of each audio track. I got around this by opening a project from HS2004, deleting all the tracks and buses, and saving it as the Normal Template.

And here is my console view.

post edited by DeBro - 2005/08/06 15:04:54

14 Replies Related Threads

mewsician2
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1078
    RE: Slightly disappointed in SHS4 2005/08/06 15:45:01 (permalink)
    Good going there!
    I'm impressed!
    Finding those workarounds, was pure genius. Never in a lightyear would I have thought of those.
    Cakewalk... You getting this?
    DeBro
    RE: Slightly disappointed in SHS4 2005/08/06 21:18:26 (permalink)
    I also noticed that the colors of the Tool Bar LCDs do not work properly. Looking at my default Track View and Console View I posted above, the LCDs look whiteout with no numeric values showing. I had to change the Tool Bar LCD Text to black before any numbers showed up in them.
    Jesse Recinos [Cakewalk]
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 80
    RE: Slightly disappointed in SHS4 2005/08/08 11:09:19 (permalink)
    Hi guys,

I wanted to address a few questions that have been brought up;

I thought when I click on the volume button in the Main Control Bar according to the video I saw, it would launch my sound card's mixer. Instead of the Emu PatchMix mixer, a Windows mixer came up

I knew someone would ask that! Seriously, this is very easy to change - the following is copied straight out of the Readme.rtf:

To link the shortcut to a specific soundcard control panel, add the following to the Cakewalk.ini

SoundMixer=”[sound mixer executable]”
    Where “” can specify path to your preferred system sound mixer.

SoundMixer=”sndvol32.exe”
    The default value will link to the Windows Sound Mixer

SoundMixer=”sndvol32.exe /r”
    By adding /r the Windows Sound Mixer Record Properties are linked.

CAKEWALK, the Track Header Tint does not work!

The MCV can be made to respond to tinting caused by using Custom Color Presets.
    The following should be added to Cakewalk.ini

TintMCV = 0
    If on [=1], the MCV will follow the colors of the toolbar backgrounds

Also when the program is launched for the first time, there's a thin strip that seperates the Track Pane from the Clips Pane not allowing you to see the dB scale of each audio track.

Its off by default. You can also toggle it by right-clicking in the clips pane, selecting 'View Options' and checking 'Show Audio Scale'.

I also noticed that the colors of the Tool Bar LCDs do not work properly.

All of the new color presets were modified with updated LCD text colors. If previous or custom color presets are showing light-colored text you can change it from Options > Colors > Toolbar LCD text (near the bottom). Note you'll also have to restart the app to see these changes.

Hope this helps.
    papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: Slightly disappointed in SHS4 2005/08/08 12:11:32 (permalink)
    DeBro,

Nice thinking to include screen captures to illustrate your problem. I suggest, however, that you reduce the image size of your captures before posting them here so readers don't have to vertically scroll to read them. That is rather annoying (and confusing) in forums such as this.

Just my $ .02 worth...

Regards,
    Papa

Regards,
    Papa
    mewsician2
    RE: Slightly disappointed in SHS4 2005/08/08 13:57:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Jesse Recinos [Cakewalk]

Hi guys,

I wanted to address a few questions that have been brought up;

Hope this helps.

It does help!
    Thanks for clearing those things up.
    My only question is, What if you don't know/understand, about Cakewalk ini?
    I'm not a complete computer idiot, but I have never encountered "ini" before in any of my computer software.
    ?
    post edited by mewsician2 - 2005/08/08 14:06:02
    boten
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Slightly disappointed in SHS4 2005/08/08 14:50:36 (permalink)
    They are initialization files. Just do a windows explorer search by *.ini in the cakewalk folder. You can edit it as they are just text files . It's recommended that you backup the original file in a different folder in case that something goes wrong.
    post edited by boten - 2005/08/08 14:56:33
    DeBro
    RE: Slightly disappointed in SHS4 2005/08/08 15:40:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: papa2004

DeBro,

Nice thinking to include screen captures to illustrate your problem. I suggest, however, that you reduce the image size of your captures before posting them here so readers don't have to vertically scroll to read them. That is rather annoying (and confusing) in forums such as this.

Just my $ .02 worth...

Regards,
    Papa

The screen resolution that the images were captured on was 1024x768. When I pasted them in Paint to save as JPEG, they looked nothing like that. I was to lazy to remove them from ImageShack, edit them, and repost.

I would like to say thanks to Jesse Recinos for responding. Great!
    papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: Slightly disappointed in SHS4 2005/08/08 15:58:27 (permalink)
    I was to lazy to remove them from ImageShack, edit them, and repost.

*LOL* It takes all of about 2 seconds to resize an image. How "lazy" are you?

Regards,
    Papa

Regards,
    Papa
    djwayne
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2021
    RE: Slightly disappointed in SHS4 2005/08/08 17:30:40 (permalink)
    Actually, I like the big pictures as they gave me a good close up view of the Home Studio screen....feel free to post some more screen shots, I won't complain !! I'm planning on buying the program next week, and any clear screenshots are most welcome. I already have the Producer demo, but I can see there's some differences in the Home Version.....
    post edited by djwayne - 2005/08/08 19:11:45
    DeBro
    RE: Slightly disappointed in SHS4 2005/08/08 18:45:38 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: papa2004

I was to lazy to remove them from ImageShack, edit them, and repost.

*LOL* It takes all of about 2 seconds to resize an image. How "lazy" are you?

Regards,
    Papa

My DAW is not connected to the internet. I have to transfer files between two machines using a USB flash drive. The internet machine is a four year old DELL that I have to duck low to get behind it.

I'll be checking out the fixes and post later on how things go.
    mewsician2
    RE: Slightly disappointed in SHS4 2005/08/08 20:14:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: boten

They are initialization files. Just do a windows explorer search by *.ini in the cakewalk folder. You can edit it as they are just text files . It's recommended that you backup the original file in a different folder in case that something goes wrong.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.
    DeBro
    RE: Slightly disappointed in SHS4 2005/08/09 14:22:24 (permalink)
    I didn't find any sound card button on the regular tool bars and the Master Control Bar will remain hidden on my monitor. So I'll just click on the Emu icon in the system tray with the same ease.

The MCV can be made to respond to tinting caused by using Custom Color Presets.
    The following should be added to Cakewalk.ini

TintMCV = 0
    If on [=1], the MCV will follow the colors of the toolbar backgrounds

In the read me file, this quote is actually referring to the Master Control View. I entered that value in the cakewalk.ini and nothing happened. This is what I'm mean about the Track Header Tint:

I didn't find any such value in the Sonar 4 PE demo folder and it works. Look how it neatly seperates the track modules:

Well, so much for tweaking the colors of the UI to my tastes. It's time to go and create some music in this wonderful program.
    boten
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Slightly disappointed in SHS4 2005/08/09 14:24:45 (permalink)
    That's weird, I got a totally different color setup using the install default.
    sinc
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3116
    RE: Slightly disappointed in SHS4 2005/08/09 21:26:08 (permalink)
    That's weird, I got a totally different color setup using the install default.

Maybe it took them from your current HS2 installation.

One of the things I noticed when I got Sonar was it imported all the settings for paths from HS2. I like the project templates that come with Sonar better than the ones that came with HS.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1