OT: Mackie onyx or Octopre?

Author
studiofreak
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 357
2005/08/07 09:07:10 (permalink)

OT: Mackie onyx or Octopre?

Given their roughly in the same price category, I'm thinking about picking up one or the other.

Which in your opinion sounds better?

13 Replies Related Threads

El Rancho Deluxe
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 87
    RE: OT: Mackie onyx or Octopre? 2005/08/07 09:22:35 (permalink)
    got both and they seem to serve different needs. The Onyx is a board that can work as a firewire interface and Ghe Octopre is more a standard preamp. Depends what your needs are, I guess.

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium ATX AMD Motherboard,
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2000MHz HT
    CORSAIR XMS 4GB DDR SDRAM
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 80GB SATA,
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GBSATA,
    PLEXTOR 16X DVD±R DVD Burner
    XP Home SP2, Sonar 5.2, Waves Gold
    studiofreak
    RE: OT: Mackie onyx or Octopre? 2005/08/08 07:50:23 (permalink)
    Rancho,

Thanks, I was thinking more about the rackmount/preamp version. I have a small Alesis board that I use but the preamps in it are pretty lame.

Then again I was thinking about ditching the alesis and just getting the 16 or 24 channel onyx...
    LaptopPop
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 853
    RE: OT: Mackie onyx or Octopre? 2005/08/08 09:32:34 (permalink)
    I'm sorry, I can't compare them because I haven't used the Octopre. However, I do use the Onyx mixers. The preamps are clean, clear, detailed. They don't have any real "character" -- they don't color the sound -- but they transparently amplify what you send them.

I run the 16 channel Onyx mixer into a MOTU 24i/o and I'm getting a GREAT sound. I've had several musicians comment on just how good the sound is.

-lee-
    studiofreak
    RE: OT: Mackie onyx or Octopre? 2005/08/08 10:56:43 (permalink)
    LaptopPop,

Thanks for the reply.

I think I might take the onyx route. A little more in terms of options... the 1620 version is selling for about 775. Which seems like a pretty good deal. (just for the preamps alone...)

-r.

BTW are you the same laptopPop from John Sayers site?

davidchristopher
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1360
    RE: OT: Mackie onyx or Octopre? 2005/08/08 11:28:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: LaptopPop
    I'm sorry, I can't compare them because I haven't used the Octopre. However, I do use the Onyx mixers. The preamps are clean, clear, detailed. They don't have any real "character" -- they don't color the sound -- but they transparently amplify what you send them.

I'm the opposite. I don't have the Onyx, but I have two, which are used for instrument recording. They sound great. Very clear, clean. excellent pre. You can't go wrong with Focusrite.

David Bistolas
    www.bistolas.net
    LaptopPop
    RE: OT: Mackie onyx or Octopre? 2005/08/08 11:33:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: studiofreak
    I think I might take the onyx route. A little more in terms of options... the 1620 version is selling for about 775. Which seems like a pretty good deal. (just for the preamps alone...)

BTW are you the same laptopPop from John Sayers site?

Yes, they are a great value IMHO. The Octopre are probably fine too - I just haven't used them.

And yup, that's me there too. I hung out there a lot when I was putting my first studio together. I don't go there as much these days, but I still poke my head in there once in a while. Lots of good info about studio building there!

-lee-
    studiofreak
    RE: OT: Mackie onyx or Octopre? 2005/08/08 12:46:33 (permalink)
    David,

Thanks for the reply. My experience with the focusrite stuff has been good as well. (ISA, green and red series) I've never used the octo so I'm not sure if it compares...

I really have to figure out what i want most out of this purchase.

the onyx is tempting, but the direct outs are pre-fader/eq/insert. That almost defeats the purpose (IMO) of purchasing the the board. Plus the firewire option only sends 2 channels back for monitoring.

ugggh...decisions...

LaptopPop:

Yes, that site has been helpful for me in setting up my new studio...
    post edited by studiofreak - 2005/08/08 13:58:42
    StudioCat
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 142
    RE: OT: Mackie onyx or Octopre? 2005/08/08 12:58:35 (permalink)
    I have owned a couple Symetrix 528 mic pres, a Eureka and the VLZ pres in my Mackie mixers. I bought a Mackie 800R to supplement those and now I always go to the 800R. I would like to see a little better quality in the knobs & switches, but the sound quality is superior to the other pres that I've used. I'm using an EMU 1212m soundcard and use the lightpipe port to connect to the 800R. I haven't tried the Ocopre, but I do prefer the Mackie over the Eureka.
    cAPSLOCK
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1071
    RE: OT: Mackie onyx or Octopre? 2005/08/08 16:37:53 (permalink)
    I have an Octopre. The platinum line is very similar or the same as the green series was before it was discontinued. They are good general purpose preamps. Nothing really specail about them. I have preamp that are more pristine and detailed, and ones that are more charactor laden. I would think a very minor step up from the VLZ stuff, and most likely comperable to the ONYX stuff. I end up using it most often for non critical stuff. The onboard compression on the pre is somewhat useful, though not a first choice by any means in my opinion, but the simple over-limit protection is very useful and less intrusive that many similar features on competitive products.

cAPS

"We da da sahw pe paw fidlily-doobee afidlily-dooten-bweebee!" -Shooby
    studiofreak
    RE: OT: Mackie onyx or Octopre? 2005/08/08 17:27:35 (permalink)
    caps/studiocat,

thanks for the replies.

caps, interesting that you'd say the octo is a minor step up from the VLZ's. That's what Im afraid of with the onyx. That there won't be any considerable/discernable difference with the Vlz's of previous design.

cAPSLOCK
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1071
    RE: OT: Mackie onyx or Octopre? 2005/08/09 16:21:51 (permalink)
    In my opinion just about all the prosumer stuff is around the same quality as the VLZ preamps... more or less... VLZ, ONYX, and the octopre are going for a transparant/accurate sort of sound. In this realm I don't think you easily top the VLZ stuff until you get into the sort of preamp that is based on a much more pristine design.

Now I haven't heard the ONYX stuff yet, and perhaps it is discernably better than the old VLZ stuff, but I would be surprised I think.

For transparant solid state stuff I think the VERY cheapest you can get into a preamp that is CLEARLY better sounding is the Sytek MPX-4A, which is up in the league with millenia, grace and other similar transparant preamps.

With these usits I can easily hear a difference in clarity and definition. In a way that is like you removed a sheet of plexiglass between me and a nice painting.

Still, in the end, I think the VLZ pres, focusrite platinum, and most likely the ONYX and many others in this range are decent pres.

It is so easy to dump money when you want that 'thing' that is going to make your stuff sound better... For me, at this point in my life, I am learning that it is often better to go ahead and get something really nice, than try to walk up the prosumer ladder which seems to me mostly to go more sideways than up, though there are always gems to be found on the ground.

If the ONYX is one of them, I certainly want to know!!!

cAPS

"We da da sahw pe paw fidlily-doobee afidlily-dooten-bweebee!" -Shooby
    studiofreak
    RE: OT: Mackie onyx or Octopre? 2005/08/10 12:08:18 (permalink)
    cAPS,

I hear ya. I'd love to just jump in and pick up a set of 8 avalons or neve or api, etc. (the list goes on...)

Reality is that some of my favorite albums weren't mixed or recorded on neves or ssl's and they still sound great. (this is a whole other topic...)

My thought is that every step up the ladder will help with overall sound. the octo or onyx seem like viable means to improve the recordings I'm doing now They'll both expand my current selection of pre's. and the price won't make me file chapter 11.

But the question remains, are they worth it and will they really make a difference?

-r

LaptopPop
    RE: OT: Mackie onyx or Octopre? 2005/08/12 19:41:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: studiofreak
    caps, interesting that you'd say the octo is a minor step up from the VLZ's. That's what Im afraid of with the onyx. That there won't be any considerable/discernable difference with the Vlz's of previous design.

It all depends. I can hear a huge difference between the VLZs and the Onyx preamps. I've used both, and to my ears the Onyx are significantly better. Smoother, clearer, better high end. However, your ears are the main judge. If you have a lousy room to record in, or bad microphones, or bad monitoring chain, you may not hear a difference. (I doubt that you do - just putting it out there)

Is there any way to buy an Onyx and try it, with the right to return it? I think if you do try it, you will NOT return it.

-lee-
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1