Come Away ------- ?

Author
Toystein
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 171
2005/08/07 15:41:24 (permalink)

Come Away ------- ?

Here is a song I just finished. It's been a while since I've posted anything.

I did the drums hit for hit in acid and played everything else. Tracked everything in Sonar 4.0 - I used an old Rode NT1 on the vocals and at first I didn't like it but it seemed to come out ok. I made it a point to not over do any eq and I think it helped me achieve a warmer sound.

Plus this is the first song I used my new bass pod on. Pretty cool device it helps to fill in the low.

The song is called come away.

Let me know what u think, good or bad.

15 Replies Related Threads

ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: Come Away ------- ? 2005/08/07 16:48:20 (permalink)
    Hey Toy,
    Another fine one. This is exceptionally well crafted, all those extra bits are excellent, e.g, the guitar harmonics at 1:04-1:10 and the Steely Dan style insert at 1:50 - 2:10; they make it all very statisfying to listen to.

Couple observations: although there are wide-panned items of interest the bulk of the content is somewhat overly centralized. And the square wave synth patch, kind of liked it, in a retro way, but it didn't seem to sit well with the rest of the tonality - something whooshier and more pad like might be nice. This are small picks, song and products are quite good.

What kind of bass are you playing, Jazz maybe? It's fattened up nicely with the pod.

As a reminder, please keep Whatever u Say on your site. I always listen to it when you post a new tune.
    M
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1516
    RE: Come Away ------- ? 2005/08/07 16:59:02 (permalink)
    Yeah, Toy!

*Really* liked this song and production. Vocals could have come forward a bit for me. Otherwise, very nicely done.

Ed's comments led me to listen to "Whatever u Say," too. I really like what you're doing. Nicely crafted stuff.

M
    post edited by M - 2005/08/07 17:04:50
    mewsician2
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1078
    RE: Come Away ------- ? 2005/08/07 17:53:04 (permalink)
    This was a pleasure to listen to.
    I'm totally impressed by the talent here on this forum, and this is one of the most enjoyable vocal tunes I've heard here.
    As mentioned, very nicely crafted, and extremely enjoyable.
    mlockett
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2099
    RE: Come Away ------- ? 2005/08/09 02:47:50 (permalink)
    Great music. Another vote for the vox to come up a smidgen. Good tune. For my ears, the snare sounds a bit loud in places, and it sounds distinctly gated. Hopefully this doesn't sound overly negative, cause this is a great song and well beyond the talents of most of us here.

Great stuff!
    Dazed
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 665
    RE: Come Away ------- ? 2005/08/09 07:28:25 (permalink)
    This is one of the better songs I have heard on here. Nice job on the vocals and a solid mix.
    jimrocks22
    • Total Posts : 188
    RE: Come Away ------- ? 2005/08/09 09:22:37 (permalink)
    Good work, nice 60's vocals. Like the clean guitars very nice mellow pop. My only comment is on song structure I'm a bit of a stickler for having 2 choruses before inserting a bridge the reason is you want to hook people on your chorus, got to hit them twice before a departure comes that's the general rule of thumb but great sound production rock on!
    post edited by jimrocks22 - 2005/08/09 09:30:17

all those moments will be lost...in time... like...tears in rain
    rossipsu1
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1030
    RE: Come Away ------- ? 2005/08/09 14:05:32 (permalink)
    Wow, great stuff here...

What I really liked:
    The vocals are exceptional, although too overeffected, IMO. Harmony performance was spot on, and they are very tasteful in their presentation. You captured the genre of this music perfectly with the mix and effect on those harmonies. Very tight playing, and the mix is clean and the music is light but interesting. This is a very 80's sounding power pop song. Very nice...

What I didn't:
    The drum samples or kit you used did not do this song justice. I'd rethink it if I were you.

I'm constantly amazed how much good stuff floats around here...

Thanks
    Toystein
    RE: Come Away ------- ? 2005/08/11 14:32:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ed_mcg

Hey Toy,
    Another fine one. This is exceptionally well crafted, all those extra bits are excellent, e.g, the guitar harmonics at 1:04-1:10 and the Steely Dan style insert at 1:50 - 2:10; they make it all very statisfying to listen to.

Couple observations: although there are wide-panned items of interest the bulk of the content is somewhat overly centralized. And the square wave synth patch, kind of liked it, in a retro way, but it didn't seem to sit well with the rest of the tonality - something whooshier and more pad like might be nice. This are small picks, song and products are quite good.

What kind of bass are you playing, Jazz maybe? It's fattened up nicely with the pod.

As a reminder, please keep Whatever u Say on your site. I always listen to it when you post a new tune.

Thanks Ed

I love Steely Dan so thanks for the comparison on the parts. I suppose I'm getting better at crafting a song, although I think there were some issues with this on, perhaps I'm getting better at crafting a production because this really doesn't have an identifiable chorus - but I don't worry about those thing when I write too much anyway.

I agree on the image. I didn't spend as much time mixing as I usually do, which I think I'm going to try to make a habit of. I'll have to go back to the mix and make a few adjustments for sure.

I have a Peavey fury P-bass which i picked up for $200 a few years ago. Peavey makes excellent basses, I can drop it, abuse it and its always there for me. The bass pod is going to help on a lot of future songs, it helps to fill in the low end like I never imagined. I think I may have to lower the bass a couple db's as well. :-)

Thanks for the comments and the time you took to listen.

toy

Toystein
    RE: Come Away ------- ? 2005/08/11 14:33:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: M

Yeah, Toy!

*Really* liked this song and production. Vocals could have come forward a bit for me. Otherwise, very nicely done.

Ed's comments led me to listen to "Whatever u Say," too. I really like what you're doing. Nicely crafted stuff.

M

hey m, I listened to the song on friends sytem and, yes the vocals in the beginning should definitly come up. that's what happens when you rush the mix.

thanks again
    toy
    Toystein
    RE: Come Away ------- ? 2005/08/11 14:37:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mlockett

Great music. Another vote for the vox to come up a smidgen. Good tune. For my ears, the snare sounds a bit loud in places, and it sounds distinctly gated. Hopefully this doesn't sound overly negative, cause this is a great song and well beyond the talents of most of us here.

Great stuff!

I usually layer different samples to get a more dynamic drum sound. I rushed the mix and became immune to certain annoyances due to listening fatiuge. One of the snare samples definitly stands out above the others, I'll have to fix that as well when I make some changes to the mix.

Excellent feedback.

Thanks, toy
    Toystein
    RE: Come Away ------- ? 2005/08/11 14:40:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jimrocks22

Good work, nice 60's vocals. Like the clean guitars very nice mellow pop. My only comment is on song structure I'm a bit of a stickler for having 2 choruses before inserting a bridge the reason is you want to hook people on your chorus, got to hit them twice before a departure comes that's the general rule of thumb but great sound production rock on!

I've been told on numerous times that I have a 60's vibe and I just don't get it. Am I in denial, not sure.

You have good reason to have issues with the song struture, it's a bit odd. I don't think there is an identifiable chorus and the "just close your eyes part" is really a bridge - I think. I remember labeling it a bridge to zero. lol

thanks for the feedback.
    Toystein
    RE: Come Away ------- ? 2005/08/11 14:48:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rossipsu1

Wow, great stuff here...

What I really liked:
    The vocals are exceptional, although too overeffected, IMO. Harmony performance was spot on, and they are very tasteful in their presentation. You captured the genre of this music perfectly with the mix and effect on those harmonies. Very tight playing, and the mix is clean and the music is light but interesting. This is a very 80's sounding power pop song. Very nice...

What I didn't:
    The drum samples or kit you used did not do this song justice. I'd rethink it if I were you.

I'm constantly amazed how much good stuff floats around here...

Thanks

ross, thanks for the comps on the vocals. I try to keep trucking in the that department. Yes, just call me mr. 80's although I'm quite removed I guess I just lean in that direction. I like clean sounding guitars and cheesy synth sounds, so I supposed I'm doomed in that department.

The Drums: I like the kick, the snare is a bit uneven, the hh definitely has a space of it's own and the toms I did a lot of pitchshifting on. During the middle part I pitched the snare sounds up in an obnoxious manner. I like the cybals, but I can see how certain aspects of the drums would be annoying especially if you are a drummer. :-)

Thanks for the listen
    toy
    variaxman
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 596
    RE: Come Away ------- ? 2005/08/11 15:05:24 (permalink)
    This song is really nice on the ears!I dig the dreamy vocals and overall vibe of this tune.I hear some kind of synth at around 2:58 in the background that sounds pretty cool if maybe it was up a bit in the mix,imho,but this song sounds great right now as it is!!
    Nice job!
    Toystein
    RE: Come Away ------- ? 2005/08/21 06:16:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: variaxman

This song is really nice on the ears!I dig the dreamy vocals and overall vibe of this tune.I hear some kind of synth at around 2:58 in the background that sounds pretty cool if maybe it was up a bit in the mix,imho,but this song sounds great right now as it is!!
    Nice job!

Thanks v

I thank you for your comments. The synth you hear there is actually a scratch track that I decided to allow in the mix (at very low volumes) :-) It seemed to mesh well. Anyway thank you for taking the time to comment.

toy
    pdevillo
    • Total Posts : 151
    RE: Come Away ------- ? 2005/08/22 13:34:57 (permalink)
    Hi there ToyStein,
    I've been a fan since "Me and My Radio" (one of the all-time best on the forum)! This one continues the trend of great music... I'm awaiting the release of a CD... keep it up!
    Thanks,
    Paul
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1