Why can't I record Midi when the Controller is mapped as a Control Surface also??

Author
skbass88
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 102
2005/08/07 19:09:02 (permalink)

Why can't I record Midi when the Controller is mapped as a Control Surface also??

I've finally gotten around to mapping some functions on my Keystation 88 Pro, and I can't figure out why I can't record midi unless I detach the Generic Control Surface Plug In. Is this just the way it is? Or am I doing something wrong?

It doesn't seem too much to ask that I record midi AND use the Keystation as a Control Surface without selecting and deselecting it as a Control Surface, does it?

"I want it Louder! More Power!
I'm gonna Rock ya till it strikes the hour!"

Sonar 4P
Delta 44
Reason 2.5
XP Pro
P4 2.4Ghz
1.5G RAM

3 Replies Related Threads

Mooch4056
    Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7494
    RE: Why can't I record Midi when the Controller is mapped as a Control Surface also?? 2005/08/08 04:31:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: skbass88

I've finally gotten around to mapping some functions on my Keystation 88 Pro, and I can't figure out why I can't record midi unless I detach the Generic Control Surface Plug In. Is this just the way it is? Or am I doing something wrong?

It doesn't seem too much to ask that I record midi AND use the Keystation as a Control Surface without selecting and deselecting it as a Control Surface, does it?

that's interesting -- I have the midi sport uno connected to my mackie control and then I use the tascam us -122 midi outs and ins to record and listen to midi along with midi sport 2x2 -- I dont have any problems --

hmmm --maybe try hooking up a seperate interface and see if that works -- if I had extra cables I would hook up both my controller and my mackie to the midi sport 2x2 to see if I get the same result as u but i am plum out of cables --- so in the mean time all I can suggest is picking up a midi sport uno -- they're cheap --and run that for your keystation and then whatever interface your using to your midi instruments

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
    Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

Mr. Ease
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 960
    RE: Why can't I record Midi when the Controller is mapped as a Control Surface also?? 2005/08/08 04:55:27 (permalink)
    I think if you want to use the same keyboard for both functions at the same time you will need to do a keyboard split. Set up a small area for mapping functions on one MIDI channel linked to the Control Surface plug in. The rest of the keyboard can then be used for recording on another MIDI channel. If you don't use seperate MIDI channels Sonar has no way of knowing whether you intend a control message or a note. You currently seem to expect any undefined control parameters to be automatically identified as notes. Mooch's advice wont help as he is using completely seperate ports for control and notes and hence does not see your problem.
    post edited by Mr. Ease - 2005/08/08 05:02:17
    Al
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4047
    RE: Why can't I record Midi when the Controller is mapped as a Control Surface also?? 2005/08/08 06:42:48 (permalink)
    think if you want to use the same keyboard for both functions at the same time you will need to do a keyboard split. Set up a small area for mapping functions on one MIDI channel linked to the Control Surface plug in. The rest of the keyboard can then be used for recording on another MIDI channel. If you don't use seperate MIDI channels Sonar has no way of knowing whether you intend a control message or a note. You currently seem to expect any undefined control parameters to be automatically identified as notes. Mooch's advice wont help as he is using completely seperate ports for control and notes and hence does not see your problem.

Nope .... that's VERY wrong.
    a keyboard split ? not sure you understood what such keyboards/control boxes can do and what's the Control Surface plugin all about

Much fun with ours to natural resound! <G>
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1