no midi to soft synth uless track is playing?

Author
fancyuser
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12
2005/08/07 21:52:10 (permalink)

no midi to soft synth uless track is playing?

problem: i have my midi keyboard (motif es 6) routed in sonar 3 producer to play a soft synth, but no sound. in the piano roll view when i mouse on the keys, no sound. but, when the track is playing, i get sound from both. i've read about this problem in this forum, here's the link http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=407890&mpage=1&key=??#407916 but the "uncheck share drivers" solution didn't work for me. another thing if this helps is when i first load a new project the problem doesn't seem to be there, but as soon as i record some midi the problem appears everytime. since i can hear played notes on the keyboard during playback i know the midi signal must be getting there, but why only during playback? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

8 Replies Related Threads

Stone House Studios
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3550
    RE: no midi to soft synth uless track is playing? 2005/08/07 22:00:29 (permalink)
    If you are not getting a soft synth to fire either by the piano roll view, or by the keyboard, then I suspect you must not be loading the synth correctly. Perhaps you have failed to point the output of the midi track that you are trying to record to the soft synth.
    Try using the synth rack, and if that fails try to do it the old fashioned way by adding the synth to the audio track's effect bin, then throwing the midi out to it.
    The fact that your synth recognizes the midi means nothing here: you need Sonar's internal synths to recognize it!

Brian

Core i7-6700@3.40Ghz  Windows 10x64 16 GB RAM
    Sonar Platinum/Studio One     PreSonus Studio 192
    willhaven
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: no midi to soft synth uless track is playing? 2005/08/07 22:03:13 (permalink)
    Excuse me if this is an insulting post, but since you have 1 post I figure you might be really new to Sonar.

Next to the M S R buttons on the track, there should be a button that looks like sound waves "))))." This should allow you to monitor the track while it isn't recording.
    post edited by willhaven - 2005/08/07 22:09:02
    fancyuser
    RE: no midi to soft synth uless track is playing? 2005/08/07 23:26:05 (permalink)
    thanks guys, but i still can't seem to get it. "Perhaps you have failed to point the output of the midi track that you are trying to record to the soft synth." i'm sure it's not this, because i always double check, and i don't think i'd actually hear anything if this were true. and i've also double checked the input echo. everything seems right, but no sound. and here's something that might narrow it down, the problem doesn't seem to affect straight dxi plug-ins, only vst. i have both dxi and vst versions of battery 2 loaded right now and the dxi one is fine, but i can only activate the vst while the track is playing.........hmmm something in the vst converter?
    fancyuser
    RE: no midi to soft synth uless track is playing? 2005/08/07 23:53:31 (permalink)
    thanks guys, but i still can't seem to get it. "Perhaps you have failed to point the output of the midi track that you are trying to record to the soft synth." i'm sure it's not this, because i always double check, and i don't think i'd actually hear anything if this were true. and i've also double checked the input echo. everything seems right, but no sound. and here's something that might narrow it down, i just realized the problem doesn't seem to affect straight dxi plug-ins, only vst. i have both dxi and vst versions of battery 2 loaded right now and the dxi one is fine, but i can only activate the vst while the track is playing.........hmmm something in the vst converter?....................excuse the double post i think i responded to myself. i'm dumb.
    dreamkeeper
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2141
    RE: no midi to soft synth uless track is playing? 2005/08/08 07:31:29 (permalink)
    Make sure you have either the correct MIDI track active or enabled "input-echo" like willhaven suggested. Also in Piano Roll make sure you that this track is active, because if you click on the virtual keyboard, input-echo always switches to the active track.

hmmm something in the vst converter?

Could be. Did you try different VSTs? Does it happen with all VST instruments? You can try to run re-scan with the VST Adapter, check "re-scan existing plug-ins".

werner
    fancyuser
    RE: no midi to soft synth uless track is playing? 2005/08/08 18:58:01 (permalink)
    well i rescanned with the vst adapter, and switched the midi on my keyboard from usb to straight midi cable into my soundcard. one of these or maybe both seems to have done the trick. thanks for taking the time to help guys, much appreciated.
    Richard Brian
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3519
    RE: no midi to soft synth uless track is playing? 2005/08/08 19:45:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: fancyuser

well i rescanned with the vst adapter, and switched the midi on my keyboard from usb to straight midi cable into my soundcard. one of these or maybe both seems to have done the trick. thanks for taking the time to help guys, much appreciated.

If it happens again, try checking to make sure the Audio Engine is still running. Then the question would be why did it disengage in the first place when playback is stopped.
    post edited by Richard Brian - 2005/08/08 19:50:53
    fancyuser
    RE: no midi to soft synth uless track is playing? 2005/08/08 20:26:26 (permalink)
    yah i i'd read somewhere else about audio engine problems, but i checked and it was running, so, really not sure what started the problem. i suspect that it was indeed the vst converter, bad initial scan or something, but i guess i should stop talking about it before i jinx it and it comes back. thanks everyone.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1