Another dumb "how to make this sound" question

Author
abryant
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 60
2005/08/08 13:25:01 (permalink)

Another dumb "how to make this sound" question

One of the more frustrating things about learning P5 (or any similar tool) for me is knowing what sound you want, and not being quite sure how to create it. (For me, with P5, a key part of it is trying hard to transition from ACIDized looping to MIDI looping, and not quite having my brain wrapped completely around some of the issues.)

Anyway, I'm wanting to create a sort of "riding cymbal" sound -- not sure how else to describe it. Basically a cymbal that swells in volume, peaks, and goes away, without an initial stick hit or crash sound, and takes a measure or two to get the job done end-to-end.

What technique would y'all use here?

6 Replies Related Threads

MysticMizer
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 402
    RE: Another dumb "how to make this sound" question 2005/08/08 13:35:54 (permalink)
    I'm at work right now,

But if you open up one of your samplers and audition the drum patterns there is a cymbol swell pattern (look in DNB, Or Basic I believe it's a fill )

Once you find it you can tweek it any way you want.

NEVERODDOREVEN
    agincourtdb
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4753
    RE: Another dumb "how to make this sound" question 2005/08/08 14:10:50 (permalink)
    There's two ways to accomplish this. I think you're talking about a soft-mallet cymbal roll. I know some drum samplers featuring an orchestral preset have these. You can control the swell with volume automation and/or retriggering at higher velocity.

If you can't find a cymbal roll, as a workaround you could always use a reversed gong hit sample.

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Another dumb "how to make this sound" question 2005/08/08 17:37:30 (permalink)
    Basically a cymbal that swells in volume, peaks, and goes away, without an initial stick hit or crash sound, and takes a measure or two to get the job done end-to-end.
    Welcome to the forum, Alan. I'll just add to Aggie's suggestion of a reversed sample. Take any cymbal sample and load it into two distinct pads in the Velocity plugin. Reverse the sample in one of the pads, and use the Start and End [think Length for that one] controls to clip off the attack portion of the cymbal strike in both the forward and reverse samples. Make sure that the pads are each triggered by a different MIDI note.

Back in the Editor, drag out a MIDI note for 2 or 4 beats that corresponds to the reversed sample, and do the same immediately after with the forward sample's trigger note. Now you've got a single pattern to place anywhere in the Arrange Pane that'll trigger a complete cycle in the Velocity track. You should find it easy enough to construct the "ocean's waves" effect that you're looking for, but you may want to audition several cymbal samples to select just the right-sounding one that you hear in your "mind's ear". HTH
    vOidvOice
    • Total Posts : 92
    RE: Another dumb "how to make this sound" question 2005/08/09 01:51:49 (permalink)
    Try this

Load Dimension : Stereo Cymbals

Set your pattern to 1/8, 2 bars.
    Put your mouse at the start of the bar press the button and hold.
    Drag your mouse across the pattern going up quickly then down to the far side.
    It should look like a small hill with the peak on the left side of the pattern.
    abryant
    • Total Posts : 60
    RE: Another dumb "how to make this sound" question 2005/08/11 00:53:26 (permalink)
    Thanks, everybody... Lots of cool ideas to go try!
    vOidvOice
    • Total Posts : 92
    RE: Another dumb "how to make this sound" question 2005/08/11 13:49:54 (permalink)
    I was checking the pattern that I had used above and basically what I said is bull twaddle. I had used another pattern from a different instrument
    and I discovered this cool sound when I moved it to the cymbal track, so I went with it. The previous post was how I created the pattern for the other instrument. Moving it to a Dimension track just happened to hit the rignt cymbal sound , a B6 flat. You can also try a A6.
    If you tried my idea and were scratching yer head, well now you know, its a big "waaa, duh"
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1