Exporting wav files to other programs

Author
crisbastap
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24
2005/08/08 16:11:43 (permalink)

Exporting wav files to other programs

I am running Sonar Producer 4 on a PC. I have a home studio where I often need to export projects to be mastered in other studios. Most of these studios are Mac based, and are running other programs besides Sonar. First of all, I lose all the names for each of the tracks, so the engineer at the other studio must pick through all the wav files I've sent (by selecting File/Export/Audio in the Sonar project I'm exporting), and listen to each one individually to know which track it is. This can be costly if it's a large project with a lot of tracks. Also, the wav files do not import to their proper locations in the timeline. I've been told that if I make sure that each track starts from the beginning of the project, then they will be in sync. This makes sense, but I have two questions: How do I add to a track that I started recording at bar 65, so that it now starts at bar 1? I guess I somehow need to add empty space to the audio file. The other question would be that this seems like it would add a lot to the size of the file. Does that just go with the territory? I've read about OMF as a way to do this. Is this a better way to go? I've heard that some people have problems importing OMF files into other programs, particularly Logic. Any suggestions in this area would be greatly appreciated!

12 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Exporting wav files to other programs 2005/08/08 16:37:13 (permalink)
    The sure file way to do this is to export each track with the selection starting at zero so they will all line up. Just name the wav file the name of the track to make it easy. You don't want to just send the Sonar clip files, because even if you have Sonar set to do time stamped files (broadcast wav files) the software at the other studio may not be able to read the timestamps, Sonar can but no all other programs can. And yes, this makes some wav files larger then they have to be but that's not a big deal these days. Also remember you don't have to export anthing past the end of the file because it's only the start that needs to line up. So you can save size on some of them that way. For example if the track is only there on the intro of the song it's going to be small if you get your selection correct. Just don't cut it too shot, make sure to leave a little room at the end for any type of decay of the last note that might ring over. This is of most concern when exporting with effects like reverb you even need to select past the end of the song to get the last of it.

Selection is key here. Before doing the File Export Audio of each track make sure it's the only track selected and that within the track the selection starts a zero and only goes as far as it needs to.

Also, make sure you export to the correct sample and bit rate the other studio needs. If it doesn't matter to them then leave it at the sample rate of the project and be sure to selection 24bit and mono unless it's a stereo track. Also be aware that some hardware systems (Mackie HDR, Alesis HD24) can't accept stereo tracks so check with them first, in that case you will need to do two exports with pans to get both sides as seperate wav files.
    crisbastap
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Exporting wav files to other programs 2005/08/08 17:28:00 (permalink)
    Thank you for your reply. It sounds like you are saying to export each track individually. Is that because that's the only way that I'll be able to select each track so that it is selected from the beginning of the project and is not selected after the end of the clip? With a 3 minute song that has 30+ tracks this could get a little labor intensive. When I just hit Ctrl + A to select the entire project, then the selection is also from zero. Won't this work as well, with the difference that the selection continues even after the end of some clips? Maybe some more size to the file, but as you said, that's not such a big deal these days. I'm also concerned about saving each track individually. If I select all and then export, it's saved as one large file that I can send easily. If I save 30+ tracks individually, won't that be kind of a mess?
    ohhey
    RE: Exporting wav files to other programs 2005/08/08 17:50:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: crisbastap

Thank you for your reply. It sounds like you are saying to export each track individually. Is that because that's the only way that I'll be able to select each track so that it is selected from the beginning of the project and is not selected after the end of the clip? With a 3 minute song that has 30+ tracks this could get a little labor intensive. When I just hit Ctrl + A to select the entire project, then the selection is also from zero. Won't this work as well, with the difference that the selection continues even after the end of some clips? Maybe some more size to the file, but as you said, that's not such a big deal these days. I'm also concerned about saving each track individually. If I select all and then export, it's saved as one large file that I can send easily. If I save 30+ tracks individually, won't that be kind of a mess?

If you export all they will be mixed together in a finished stereo mixdown, that won't work. OMF would be nice but many systems can't import them. I don't know of an easier way that will result in correctly named wavs all starting from zero.
    G7Sharp9
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 390
    RE: Exporting wav files to other programs 2005/08/08 18:03:00 (permalink)
    not to rain on your parade, but if you're just use the other studios for mastering why are you sending them all the wavs? Just mix the tracks to taste, make your stereo mix and burn that to a CD.

If on the other hand you're doing "some" mixing at the other studios as well, then Ohhey's ideas are correct.

Will Mendez
    glazfolk
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5253
    RE: Exporting wav files to other programs 2005/08/08 19:07:23 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ohhey
    ORIGINAL: crisbastap

If you export all they will be mixed together in a finished stereo mixdown, that won't work. OMF would be nice but many systems can't import them. I don't know of an easier way that will result in correctly named wavs all starting from zero.

Why not:

1. Select the tracks to be exported.
    2. File, Export, Audio
    3. Preset: Raw Tracks
    4. Make sure source shows Tracks
    5. If any unwanted track is listed in the Source/Bus Tracks window, deselect it.
    6. Enter a file name and Export

Works fine for me! Exports eaxh track to a separate file, sensibly named and all in synch timewise. Cheers

PS Or if all tracks are stereo, make Source Stereo. If some of each, EITHER use split mono, or use two operations - export all mono tracks first then all stereo.
    post edited by glazfolk - 2005/08/08 19:54:02

Geoff Francis - Huon Delta Studios

AMD Opteron 246 2GHZ twin CPU
    Tyan S2875 AVRF Dual M'board
    2 Gig RAM, Three Monitors w NVIDIA GeForce FX5700
    Alesis iO26, 2 NTFS Seagate HD
    DigitalDesign Speakers
    ohhey
    RE: Exporting wav files to other programs 2005/08/08 22:01:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: glazfolk

Why not:

2. File, Export, Audio
    5. If any unwanted track is listed in the Source/Bus Tracks window, deselect it.

Works fine for me! Exports eaxh track to a separate file, sensibly named and all in synch timewise. Cheers

PS Or if all tracks are stereo, make Source Stereo. If some of each, EITHER use split mono, or use two operations - export all mono tracks first then all stereo.

I've havn't tried that but it's too bad it won't use the track names for the file names.
    glazfolk
    RE: Exporting wav files to other programs 2005/08/08 22:37:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: glazfolk

Why not:

2. File, Export, Audio

I've havn't tried that but it's too bad it won't use the track names for the file names.

Try it and you'll see it does! If for example your tracks are called:

1 - Guitar Acoustic
    2 - Main Vox
    3 - B Vox
    4 - Piano

and you follow my instructions, Exporting as, say, My Song, then the files are called something like:

My Song 1 Guitar Acoustic.wav
    My Song 2 Main Vox.wav
    My Song 3 B Vox.wav
    My Song 4 Piano.wav

Best, Geoff
    Al
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4047
    RE: Exporting wav files to other programs 2005/08/08 23:15:23 (permalink)
    what would we do here without you, glaz ! good job .. i just read the thread now to the point where ohhey said "it won't work"..stereo mixdown and such - simply not true.

I had to export a project just some time ago and i was glad to see how well the export to mutliple track files worked !

ohhey, if you didn't even try it why adding and saying "too bad..." ?

Much fun with ours to natural resound! <G>
    ohhey
    RE: Exporting wav files to other programs 2005/08/08 23:32:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Al

what would we do here without you, glaz ! good job .. i just read the thread now to the point where ohhey said "it won't work"..stereo mixdown and such - simply not true.

I had to export a project just some time ago and i was glad to see how well the export to mutliple track files worked !

ohhey, if you didn't even try it why adding and saying "too bad..." ?

I learn things all the time here why do you think I'm here everyday ! My bad, just hadn't had a reason to do that yet, didn't know you could do it. But it would be cool if it took the track names, sure would make it easy on the other end.
    glazfolk
    RE: Exporting wav files to other programs 2005/08/08 23:41:36 (permalink)
    But it would be cool if it took the track names, sure would make it easy on the other end.

Frank ... why won't you believe me!!!! It DOES!

Geoff Francis - Huon Delta Studios

AMD Opteron 246 2GHZ twin CPU
    Tyan S2875 AVRF Dual M'board
    2 Gig RAM, Three Monitors w NVIDIA GeForce FX5700
    Alesis iO26, 2 NTFS Seagate HD
    DigitalDesign Speakers
    ohhey
    RE: Exporting wav files to other programs 2005/08/09 01:01:05 (permalink)
    Paul G
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2334
    RE: Exporting wav files to other programs 2005/08/09 08:54:26 (permalink)
    This is good to know. Thanks guys!

Paul

Intel i7-4790K, Win7 Pro, 16GB Ram
    1TB OS, 2TB Audio, 1TB Samples
    Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
    Cakewalk by Bandlab
    Paul Robert Glaser
    The Brothers Glaser
    SoundClick
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1