SHS4 Audio Engine performance

Author
boten
Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4353
2005/08/08 16:14:32 (permalink)

SHS4 Audio Engine performance

Now having both versions (HOme Studio 2 and SHS4) I did a rough comparison on audio engine performance between the two by having exactly the same projects running and compared what I'd think might indicate performance, the CPU utilization reading( % ).

I ran two different projects at 10msec latency, one midi only, with 5 soft synth instances: 2 GPO's, 1 sfz+, 1 VSC and 1 ST2, most of them with full patch loadings. The second project was an audio only project which consists of 27 tracks and 24 real time plugin effects, among them very CPU stressing such as GPO ambience, Sonitus multiband, several instances of sonitus equalizers and 2 instances of Glaceverb among others.

When I ran these two identical projects in both Home Studio 2 and SHS4, there was not clear difference in performance, not on CPU usage stability and not on CPU average and peaks, in both versions CPUs % got lower after the first playback.
I was expecting clear better audio engine performance indication on SHS4 as it is the same as for Sonar 4 but based on the way I measured, the result is that this is not true (at least on my system).

My question is as follows:if the new engine is more efficient, how is it being reflected? otherwise why have I been misled about this important feature?, so I wish Cake would be able to clarify better the audio performance advantages (if they are) of SHS4 over older versions.
post edited by boten - 2005/08/08 16:20:09

6 Replies Related Threads

DeBro
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 742
    RE: SHS4 Audio Engine performance 2005/08/08 19:16:02 (permalink)
    The audio engine to me is by far, better in performance. I did a similar test using three instances of SIR convolution reverb and one GlaceVerb along with other plugins. Because of the inherent latency of SIR, I had to set ASIO latency to 125ms to get the audio engine to run in HS2004 with CPU% hovering around 50. The same project in SHS4, ASIO latency was reduced to 20ms and CPU% at 56 and the audio engine ran without a sweat. I could even get much lower ASIO latency if SIR wasn't in the project.
    boten
    RE: SHS4 Audio Engine performance 2005/08/09 11:17:38 (permalink)
    I know what you mean but that doesn't have anything to do with audio engine performance. What really happens is that those plugins (SIR, CurveEQ, etc) use a look ahead buffer to be able to process so they create a certain latency in the signal. Sonar automatically does delay compensation (ADC) so this delay doesn't have to use the system effective latency to process the buffer. Older Home Studio versions do not have this feature so you can't run the same plugins at the same latency as in SHS.
    IMO the best way to compare performance is on CPU readings at constant (low) latency values and check with both MIDI and audio work.
    Jesse Recinos [Cakewalk]
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 80
    RE: SHS4 Audio Engine performance 2005/08/11 13:56:11 (permalink)
    The upgraded audio engine from version 2 includes a lot of benefits, not all of which are soley concerned with 'performance', however. Some of the advantages are;

1) Universal Bus Architecture - this means you can add/remove busses on the fly and create complicated routing schemes. In version 2 you had to define number of busses for each project and there was no buss-to-buss routing.

2) Increased sample rate - SONAR Home Studio supports up to 192 kHz audio.

3) The ability to take advantage of multi-processor, dual-core, or Hyper-threading. Depending on the project, this can mean significant performance increases.

4) Improved input monitoring facilities

5) Lastly, you may also consider the fact that there is now confidence recording - allowing you to see the waveform of incoming audio.

Jesse
    post edited by Jesse Recinos [Cakewalk] - 2005/08/11 14:15:29
    boten
    RE: SHS4 Audio Engine performance 2005/08/11 14:03:36 (permalink)
    Thanks Jesse for the clarifications. I have been probably misled by some forum (sonar and Home Studio) posts indicating a clear advantage of the new engine as of improving system latency and better utilization of the system power. Based on what you're describing, that might not be the case. However, I do appreciate the type of advantages that you described.
    brzilian
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 788
    RE: SHS4 Audio Engine performance 2005/08/11 21:08:24 (permalink)
    3) The ability to take advantage of multi-processor, dual-core, or Hyper-threading. Depending on the project, this can mean significant performance increases.

Thats nice to know.

Why didn't your marketing people call that out on the SHS webpage? Its a big deal (for me at least) and a good incentive to upgrade.
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: SHS4 Audio Engine performance 2005/08/12 11:19:49 (permalink)
    I'm not sure about performance, but I do know that (on my system) SHS is much more stable. HS2 (and earlier incarnations) would intermittently freeze. I would have to shut down HS, restart it, and close it again in order to get it working properly. I haven't had this problem with SHS.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1