Sonar vs Samplitude

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
keith
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3882
RE: Sonar vs Samplitude 2005/08/10 01:47:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: tarsier

ORIGINAL: keith
Original poster stated all mixes were bounced to 24-bit, then MP3 encoded.

As far as I know, dither should not be a factor.

So... the mp3 files are 24 bit? Those are rare beasts indeed.

Two things happened:

1.) the mixes were bounced to 24-bit

2.) the mixes were encoded to MP3

No more, no less. Certainly no POW-r.
GTBannah
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 124
RE: Sonar vs Samplitude 2005/08/10 18:46:26 (permalink)
Hi all,

Having fiddled with Samplitude V6 for two years off and on, I recently bought Sequoia.

I'll be doing MIDI in SONAR 4, rendering to audio, then exporting wave files for mixing in Sequoia.

I find that, except for the Lexicon, the ffects in Samp/Seq less "cluttering" than in Sonar (Waves, Sonitus, Cakewalk).

The mixing and editing in Samp/Seq is pure sex. It's an approach which takes a bit of getting used to, but when you get it .... Slurrrp!

Also, it's nice to have Sonar (mixing, that is), SoundForge and CD Architect all in the same place, complete with CD text, Cd testing/comparing/error checking ....

Pure sex ....

Derrkins

Music is an exact, inexact, subjective, objective ArtScience.
- Derrkins 2002
-----------------------------------------
GIGABYTE X58A-UD3R MoBo, i7 2.8Gig CPU, 12Gig RAM
Win 7 Ultimate 64; DIGI 002
dan le
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 252
RE: Sonar vs Samplitude 2005/08/11 03:45:13 (permalink)
I did the test because I so often read people saying one app sounds better than another...I wanted to see for myself, and decided to share the test with others, and see what they thought.

Hi JP11:
1. Thanks a million for the test.
2. I have S4 since CW3, i.e. since 1995. And this confirmed again that S4 is quite good, contrary to those who want to put S4 down.
3. Each DAW is tiny, different, but the whole is almost impossible to distinguish.
4. Of course, once can always change or alter somehow the final sound during mastering (I mean thru a professional mastering house, or guy, not the do it yourself, if you want to have a commercial release).
5. You truly did a good thing for this forum, and I don't understand why some people argued about it. Everyone should thank you instead, I think, since they don't or can't do it.
6. Bless you.
Sincerely.

MRG
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: Sonar vs Samplitude 2005/08/11 14:36:35 (permalink)
I'll say thanks a million to jp11 too for all the trouble he went to. For what it worth I have run Sonar since v1 moving over from Cubase VST as soon as Sonar was available. Shortly after upgrading to v4.02(producer) I downloaded a copy of Samplitude (v7x at the time) just to see what it was like. To save time I imported a wave file (stereo master) that I had done in Sonar a few days previously. On playing back the file it sounded different - not really sure why - or that it was better - just different. I had no fx or eq switched on.

On reflection, one thing that I recall reading in the manual is that Samplitude does its normalisation in realtime during playback (correct me if I'm wrong) so it may be that it was something like this that was changing the sound.

Whatever - I'm still with Sonar because it's midi and vsti support still seems better. That said I found Samplitude very easy to work with.

Inta-Audio AMD 64 pro workstation: EMU 1820m, Sonar 5pro, Project 5v2, BCF2000, BCR2000
eric_peterson
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1103
RE: Sonar vs Samplitude 2005/08/11 14:45:24 (permalink)
That said I found Samplitude very easy to work with.

Same here. Being a Software Engineer I find the Samplitude "object oriented" paradigm very easy to follow. Everything just works the way I think it should.
Bill OConnell
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 760
RE: Sonar vs Samplitude 2005/08/11 16:18:42 (permalink)
I agree that SAM 8 is a fine program. It's got a few quirks to iron out, but a patch is in the works I understand. (I own a license.)

And yes, *for whatever the reason* #1 in the mix test sounded clearer and more "present."

However, remember the Code Meter (dongle): if it goes, you're out of luck for a few days at least.

And it's a matter of your working style. If either program inspires you--or enables you in any way to create better music, then that's the program to use. I'd rather create a masterpiece using a Tascam than a dog using Sequoia. (Well that's overstated, but you get my drift.)

UnderTow
Max Output Level: -37 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3848
RE: Sonar vs Samplitude 2005/08/11 16:39:59 (permalink)

The waves arn't even synced (Mix 5 is out of sync). There is something seriously wrong with the methodology ...

A while back I did a DAW sum test with some people. (Logic, Samplitude, Cubase SX, CoolEdit, Ableton and FruityLoops). All the mixess zero-summed (phase reversing the audio files against each other giving files full of zeros) except FruityLoops which had some noticable errors in the summing. If I remember correctly, there was stuff left over above 16Khz plus a DC offset after zero summing the FruitLoops mix with the other mixes.

UnderTow
tymish
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: Sonar vs Samplitude 2005/08/11 16:53:16 (permalink)
I've finished a mix using Samp 6 and am in the process of mixing in Sonar 4. Different methodology.

Samp has much much deeper editing tools and some really cool features I'd love to see in Sonar. Such as Mix to File which allows you to play the project and record the mix realtime. Makes for good quick & dirty mixdowns or other options since both written automation and real time changes on the mixer are in the mix.
JP11
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Sonar vs Samplitude 2005/08/11 17:41:42 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: dan le

I did the test because I so often read people saying one app sounds better than another...I wanted to see for myself, and decided to share the test with others, and see what they thought.

Hi JP11:
1. Thanks a million for the test.
2. I have S4 since CW3, i.e. since 1995. And this confirmed again that S4 is quite good, contrary to those who want to put S4 down.
3. Each DAW is tiny, different, but the whole is almost impossible to distinguish.
4. Of course, once can always change or alter somehow the final sound during mastering (I mean thru a professional mastering house, or guy, not the do it yourself, if you want to have a commercial release).
5. You truly did a good thing for this forum, and I don't understand why some people argued about it. Everyone should thank you instead, I think, since they don't or can't do it.
6. Bless you.
Sincerely.

Thanks Dan, I appreciate that!
JP11
RE: Sonar vs Samplitude 2005/08/11 18:21:11 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: UnderTow

The waves arn't even synced (Mix 5 is out of sync). There is something seriously wrong with the methodology ...

A while back I did a DAW sum test with some people. (Logic, Samplitude, Cubase SX, CoolEdit, Ableton and FruityLoops). All the mixess zero-summed (phase reversing the audio files against each other giving files full of zeros) except FruityLoops which had some noticable errors in the summing. If I remember correctly, there was stuff left over above 16Khz plus a DC offset after zero summing the FruitLoops mix with the other mixes.

UnderTow

I think you are wrong about Mix 5 being out of sync. (one of the files may be out of sync, but that's not my fault, that's the way that app works).

Some of these do phase reverse to zero, some don't, why that is, I don't know...either I made a mistake, or maybe they sum differently, I don't know...there are lots of reasons that may cause the files not to cancel completely...for example, 2 apps might phase reverse to zero if they are both set to a 0 pan law, but then you set them to a -3 pan law, and they don't. There must be a slightly different method of implementing the pan law.

Or maybe it's all my fault...certainly I may have bugs but these apps never do...

I don't claim that my test is 100% perfect, I did the best I could...I believe it's a fair example of each of these DAWs...

Besides that, it's not about phase reversing anyway, it's about using your ears. You didn't say whether you heard a difference or not. If 2 apps don't cancel out, but you don't really feel one sounds better than the other (the reaction of many), then what difference does it make?

If you did a test that's better than post it up...saying you did a test and telling us what the results are means nothing...let's hear it...one of my points is to stop making claims and to post up what you are basing those claims on.

Please post the test (and add Sonar, please), and tell us your complete methodology...what kind of files, how were they recorded, how did you bounce them down, did you set everything at zero or did you match volumes and pans? What versions did you use? You must have the files from the test...please post them up. The more tests we have, the better, right?

I don't claim that my test is the last word, the ultimate definitive perfect test...I just wanted to do something to find out whether it's true that one app sounds better than another, as people continue to claim. Samplitude themselves continue to claim their app sounds better on their website!! So please post your test to help prove the truth!!!

The ironic thing is people make claims all the time, and that's fine, no one bats an eye. But you put up an actual test, and all of a sudden people start slamming you, and start questioning everything. Is that not a flawed methodology?

Instead of doing a test, I should have just said "The app I use rocks!! I think it's awesome and superior and sounds better and is better than all the other crappy apps!!". Than, no one would knock me or my frickin' methodology.

post edited by JP11 - 2005/08/11 18:30:15
Bill OConnell
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 760
RE: Sonar vs Samplitude 2005/08/11 20:41:52 (permalink)
I think it took guts to do what you did, JP11.

But in the DAW world, it is a subject more heated than religion and politics combined.

So, I'm afraid you have no choice but to lower your blood pressure and shrug it off.

I very much appreciate your efforts, though.
post edited by Bill OConnell - 2005/08/12 10:51:45

JP11
RE: Sonar vs Samplitude 2005/08/11 23:54:08 (permalink)
You're absolutely right, Bill, thanks.

Having said that, I went and did another test . For those interested, go here:

Mix Bus test #2

Rain2
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 115
RE: Sonar vs Samplitude 2005/08/14 15:28:32 (permalink)
The posted samples demo1.wav and demo2.wav null out if you reduce the volume of demo1.wav by about ~0.1 dB,
and realign the time, which you unfortunately misaligned during editing the wav files.
So, Samplitude outputs 0.1 dB too loud, but the sound is the same.

This listening test seems to be pointless, since people used mp3 and mp3pro format for listening tests, which is a lossy format, end even the worst known. I don't trust audiophile discussions, if mp3 listeners are involved. Well, wav files were delivered upon request.
And the wav files are not time aligned due to manual editing, to make nulling out harder.

Result: Mix engines are as accurate as math ( + and * ) is accurate to single float numbers (32bit), no matter which compny does code the math.

There may also 64bit mixers availabe (e.g. in Tracktion), but who deleivers 64bit oudio to the customers ?
People render to mp3 anyway (which has actually only 25 dB SNR, (24bit mp3: haha!)):
http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=454041
so 32bit is plenty for today's brickwall limited music.

UnderTow
Max Output Level: -37 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3848
RE: Sonar vs Samplitude 2005/08/14 18:41:40 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: JP11

UnderTow

Besides that, it's not about phase reversing anyway, it's about using your ears. You didn't say whether you heard a difference or not. If 2 apps don't cancel out, but you don't really feel one sounds better than the other (the reaction of many), then what difference does it make?

If the files zero sum on phase reverse it means that the files are IDENTICAL. So if you hear any difference, it is purely subjective and irrelevant.

If you did a test that's better than post it up...saying you did a test and telling us what the results are means nothing...let's hear it...one of my points is to stop making claims and to post up what you are basing those claims on.

Please post the test (and add Sonar, please), and tell us your complete methodology...what kind of files, how were they recorded, how did you bounce them down, did you set everything at zero or did you match volumes and pans? What versions did you use? You must have the files from the test...please post them up. The more tests we have, the better, right?

The test consisted of 16 stereo tracks of 24 bit 44.1Khz audio (electronic music) that summed to -1 dB when mixed.
(The recording method is irrelevant in a summing test. The exact same files where used in all DAWs). Pan laws where chosen to be the same, all faders at zero, no processing.

We did 2 tests actually, one with dither turned on and one with dither turned off (where possible). With the dither turned off, the outputs were all identical except for FruityLoops. With the dither turned on, there was residue noise from the dither left over after phase reversing. All the dither noise was at arround -140 dB FS as was expected except in one candidate that didn't seem to add dither when going from 32 bit Float to 24 bit fixed maths. I can't remember which one it was anymore ...

I don't claim that my test is the last word, the ultimate definitive perfect test...I just wanted to do something to find out whether it's true that one app sounds better than another, as people continue to claim. Samplitude themselves continue to claim their app sounds better on their website!! So please post your test to help prove the truth!!!

Unfortunately, the whole website is offline now (the whole server actually) and I don't have a local copy.

Anyway, for the final sound, the person doing the mixing is a thousands times more important than the choice of application. Unless you are into marketing. ;)

UnderTow
JP11
RE: Sonar vs Samplitude 2005/08/14 19:41:11 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Rain2

The posted samples demo1.wav and demo2.wav null out if you reduce the volume of demo1.wav by about ~0.1 dB,
and realign the time, which you unfortunately misaligned during editing the wav files.
So, Samplitude outputs 0.1 dB too loud, but the sound is the same.

This listening test seems to be pointless, since people used mp3 and mp3pro format for listening tests, which is a lossy format, end even the worst known. I don't trust audiophile discussions, if mp3 listeners are involved. Well, wav files were delivered upon request.
And the wav files are not time aligned due to manual editing, to make nulling out harder.

Are you talking about test 2, which has the names demo1, etc...if you are, than there are no mp3s involved at all...nor would you know which is samplitude.

Yeah, I agree the test could very well be pointless, and the feedback from many is even more pointless.

JP11
RE: Sonar vs Samplitude 2005/08/14 19:52:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: JP11

If the files zero sum on phase reverse it means that the files are IDENTICAL. So if you hear any difference, it is purely subjective and irrelevant.

UnderTow

Yes, but not every DAW nulls out...in which case you have to use your ears...

You said that these all should null out, so if they don't, I must have made a mistake...my point is, even if I did, but as many people can't hear a difference as those who can, then what difference does the lack of nulling out make, or the mistake, if there is one.

JP11
RE: Sonar vs Samplitude 2005/08/14 20:12:07 (permalink)
Oh, and btw, if people are listenng to identical files, and are hearing a difference, I think that is HIGHLY RELEVANT, and may be the most important point of this whole deal.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1