Feedback help, please

Author
WaterGuy
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 33
2005/08/08 20:09:34 (permalink)

Feedback help, please

I’m having a strange feedback issue. I use the Echo Audiofire 8 interface. When using Sonar’s Loop Explorer, I occasionally get an annoying buzz/hum through my monitors when I stop playing a loop and Sonar’s Audio Engine goes off. The hum/feedback seems to be at random frequencies/pitch. None of the Sonar faders control the volume of the feedback and it only goes off when I turn the Audio Engine back on or play another loop. If I pick another loop to play, it does the same thing when I stop it. This doesn’t seem to happen when I’m not using Loop Explorer.

Any idea how I can get this to permanently stop?

Thanks.

4 Replies Related Threads

Phrauge
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    RE: Feedback help, please 2005/08/08 20:29:55 (permalink)
    What are your DAW specs? Do you have more than one sound card? Does your Mobo have a built in sound card? If so, is it disabled?
    LoopJunkie
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2466
    RE: Feedback help, please 2005/08/08 20:32:32 (permalink)
    When using Sonar’s Loop Explorer

My guess: you use a different physical out or bus for loop preview, with a different signal path; very common error.

loop

WaterGuy
    RE: Feedback help, please 2005/08/08 20:40:36 (permalink)
    I've tried various outs for loop preview and it doesn't seem to matter. I have nothing else plugged into my Audiofire inputs, either. Only one set of monitors, too. After additional experimentation, it also does it when using the Scrub tool and then stopping. The issue is related to the Audio Engine being turned off when I stop scrubbing or stop playing a loop. I can only get the hum to stop by turning on Echo Input or the Audio Engine. But then it will hum again when I play and then stop a loop (it turns off the Engine) or use Scrub and stop (it also turns off the Engine).

No other sound cards are involved.

No other audio inputs or midi inputs either.

Is there a way to keep the Audio Engine on after I stop previewing a loop or stop scrubbing?

WaterGuy
    RE: Feedback help, please 2005/08/09 15:14:57 (permalink)
    UPDATE:

After some experimentation, I've discovered that the feedback is somehow related to Input Echo and the Audio Engine. I can get the feedback when stopping the Audio Engine after creating a signal. For example, with a guitar plugged in, if I hit a note and then stop the audio engine, I'll get feedback. The louder I hit the note prior to stopping the engine, the louder the feedback signal. If I mute the strings before turning the engine off (no signal), there is no audible feedback. Same is true for Loop Browsing -- the louder the drum sounds when I stop, the louder the feedback. This feedback phenomenon only happens when Input Echo is on (which is the only time the Audio Engine is on). And it doesn't happen when recording or playing back. Only when trasport is stopped (audio engine is off during these times).

Any ideas as to correcting this?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1