EQ question

Author
YoungNDetermined
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 28
2005/08/08 23:04:12 (permalink)

EQ question

I am tryin to grasp the whole eq thing So I have came up wit a couple of questions. First of all does a sound with a higher pitch nesseseraly have a higher frequency, and vise versa for lower pitch. Also how Does the eq work in cake walk home studio, I tried using it wit an eq anilyzer so see what I was doing. I could hear the differnce in the sound, but it was not changing on the graph.???. Im not 2 sure how the 4 bands work. Is it true that if ur tracks are all in different frequencies then it will sound better??? I normally do my mixing by ear but I would like a better sounding outcome, so im tryin to figure out how the sounds itself exist and how our ears process it. Please discuss any type of information about this topic

7 Replies Related Threads

papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: EQ question 2005/08/09 00:31:45 (permalink)
    Also how Does the eq work in cake walk home studio, I tried using it wit an eq anilyzer so see what I was doing. I could hear the differnce in the sound, but it was not changing on the graph.???.

What EQ analyzer are you using? What video card are you using? Is your video card/adapter capable of keeping up with "real-time" changes? If your ears are discerning the difference, don't be too concerned about the "graph"...More important than the graph response is "How does your room/system sound compared to the real world?"

If you mix something that sounds great in your room, but sounds like crap in your friend's living room on a consumer audio system, then you have acoustic issues that you need to deal with.

Im not 2 sure how the 4 bands work. Is it true that if ur tracks are all in different frequencies then it will sound better???

The "normal" purpose of EQ'ing in the mixing stage is to give each instrument/track its own "space" in the final mix. If you need to go to extremes with EQ, that means your original tracks weren't recorded properly or you used the wrong mic or it was placed in a less than ideal position. More often than not, it is better to "cut" undesirable frequencies as opposed to "boosting" frequencies that accentuate a particular instrument.

Keep in mind that EQ is a matter of personal preference. Also remember that audio systems & listening environments vary. Try to achieve a mix that will translate into a decent sound in almost any room. Use "reference" materials (CD's that you KNOW how they will sound in any room) to compare to the mixes in your room.

Mixing is a comprehensive procedure...Some of the most talented musicians & engineers will freely admit that they leave the mixing process to others who know how to do it properly...The artist may "sit in" on the mixing session and offer suggestions about the "presence" of certain tracks, but the mix engineer is usually the one who knows exactly which button to push or which knob to tweak...

There are many internet sites that discuss the mixing process and uses of EQ and other processors...I recommend you do a search and read as much as you possibly can...

Home Studio 2XL - $159

Decent Sound Card - $100

Learning my craft - "Priceless"

Regards,
    Papa

Regards,
    Papa
    sinc
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3116
    RE: EQ question 2005/08/09 01:34:10 (permalink)
    Basically, the frequency of a sound is its pitch. Therefore, an A might be 440hz, or 440 cycles per second. However, an A played on a piano sounds different than an A played on a saxophone, which sounds different than an A played on a trumpet, etc. In each case, it is a 440hz note, but the shape of the waveform is different. The different shapes give different tonalities.

One way of looking at sound is called Fourier synthesis. Essentially, it is possible to break down any wave into a series of sine and cosine waves. When you add all these sine and cosine waves together, the result is the funky-shaped wave. This applet illustrates how it works.

Here's a more advanced one that will also let you hear the sound (although it's a bit harder to understand).

In general, every plugin you use in Home Studio will use Fourier analysis to work. This means that if you analyze any sound in a spectrum analyzer, you will see sound all through the sound spectrum - due to the way the analyzer works, it breaks the sound down into a bunch of sine waves at various frequencies.

This isn't necessarily a very accurate way of looking at sound, but it is mathematically simple, and is a good approximation. Therefore most current sound equipment uses it, including your equalizer.

This means that you don't use the equalizer to add and remove specific notes - you use it to adjust the "tonality" of sound. The fundamental frequency of a piano ranges from about 30hz to about 4200hz. (Most instruments have much smaller frequency ranges.) But when analyzed via Fourier analysis, each of these notes is broken down into a series of harmonics (also called overtones). As the applets I listed above illustrate, changing the relative volume of the harmonics changes the "character" of the sound. This is what the equalizer does. It cuts or boosts certain frequency ranges. This causes certain overtones to be cut or boosted. This causes it to sound different when all the different components are added back together to form the sound that you hear.

That's why cutting or boosting individual frequency bands with an equalizer results in an overall change to the sound. It doesn't all of a sudden cause, for example, all notes between C3 and A5 to disappear while leaving all the other notes alone, or anything like that. Instead, it is used to improve the palatability of sound, and how it sits with the other instruments. Boosting low-mids causes the sound to get warmer, boomier, fuller, or muddier; boosting high-mids causes sound to get brighter, sharper, crisper but more cutting; etc.

You should NOT try to use an equalizer to restrict each track to a specific range of frequencies. That's not what people mean when they talk about using EQ to "make room in the mix". But music sounds the best when it hits the whole frequency range evenly, not if there are lots of spikes at certain frequencies, with no very little sound at others. A poor frequency spread can make your mix sound muddy, or shrill, or even give you a headache by the end of the song. That's some of what you're listening for and trying to correct when you use EQ.

Be aware that EQ is often best used sparingly, except for the occasional special effects. A good rule of thumb when you are first starting out with EQ is to only use it to cut frequencies, and not to boost. I think it's easier to hear the result of the EQ. Boosting frequencies via EQ is a lot like shouting in order to be heard over the TV - it works, but turning the TV down works better.

It always comes down to using your ears, which takes time and practice. You'll notice that as time goes on, it becomes more and more obvious to you what is clashing in your mix, and what you should do to fix it.
    papa2004
    RE: EQ question 2005/08/09 03:00:53 (permalink)
    Boosting frequencies via EQ is a lot like shouting in order to be heard over the TV - it works, but turning the TV down works better.

What a GREAT analogy! Nice job outta you, sinc!

Regards,
    Papa

Regards,
    Papa
    sinc
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3116
    RE: EQ question 2005/08/09 08:08:18 (permalink)

What a GREAT analogy! Nice job outta you, sinc!

Yeah, I think I was falling asleep at the time, and it just popped into my head, like a vision, like a flash...
    papa2004
    RE: EQ question 2005/08/09 11:38:42 (permalink)
    Hmmm, kinda like the same thing that happened to some guy in an old 60's band called the "Rolling Rocks" or something like that...He got a guitar riff stuck in his brain while trying to sleep and couldn't get "Satisfaction" until he put the riff on tape?

Regards,
    Papa

Regards,
    Papa
    YoungNDetermined
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: EQ question 2005/08/09 14:15:52 (permalink)
    Thank you for the crash course. It really cleared alot up for me
    garyh
    • Total Posts : 39
    RE: EQ question 2005/08/09 19:12:20 (permalink)
    Hi
    Some great and insightful replies especially from Mr Sinc :-)
    But just to slide back one extra notch in the direction of basic - EQ is no more than a glorified version of the "Tone Controls" on any piece of audio gear since 'way back.
    the most crude example found on old/portable AM radios gave treble cut only - this is a sort of 2-band EQ; leave4rs the bass and mid frequencies alone, optionally clobbers the treble...
    The most-common 'full' controls from the late days of mono record-players onwards is effectively a 3-band EQ - leaves the mids alone but allows boost and cut of bass and treble... get the picture? SO by providing more, sharper filters you can do a finer detail of EQ up to the 64-band 1/6-octave gear in recording studios or huge PA installations.
    -
    Pitch is indeed directly proportional to frequency. But timbre relates to the amount of higher overtones attached to each note. A 'mellow' tone is a pure or near-pure sinewave; a 'shrill' higher note or a buzzy lower note are both examples of notes with lots of overtones e.g. a squarewave. Use the scope display of Windows Media player or HS to look at waveforms of some steady tones. Good luck!

Cheers, GaryH
    HP-Compaq Presario 2548AI 2.6Gb Celeron, 704 MB RAM, 30 GB HDD, USB 2.0
    Behringer BCA2000
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1