VSC and patch names in Sonar 4

Author
huviolan
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
2005/08/08 23:56:55 (permalink)

VSC and patch names in Sonar 4

Hi !
I like to know if somebody can tell me how to make the patch names assigned in the 16 parts of Virtual Sound Canvas Soft Synth DXi appear in the patch places at the track viewin Sonar 4.0.3. I can not get it!. It only shows the instruments numbers according to GM spec, instead of the names assigned for VSC. Is it necesary something like a Instrument definition even for a Soft Synth ?? Sorry if I am asking a fool or basic question , but I am lost in this !!!
Thanks in advance for any answer that can help, and excuse my poor english!!
HUgo
Buenos Aires
Argentina.

6 Replies Related Threads

micv
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 285
    RE: VSC and patch names in Sonar 4 2005/08/09 15:00:37 (permalink)
    I couldn't get it to show up for my soundfont either and I've posted this question before and there doesn't seem to be any answer. So my conclusion is out of the box Sonar do not support this. If you look at instrument definition you probably have the GM pointed to your sound device. So logically an instrument def has to be defined and assigned. For me though Sonar recorgnizes the soundfont device but doesn't seem to be able to see the patch name.
    theblue1
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 69
    RE: VSC and patch names in Sonar 4 2005/08/09 15:57:56 (permalink)
    After a quick go-round with this issue, I just decided to use VSC's interface.

I seem to be losing the drive to spend hours figuring out answers to all these silly little questions that come up everyday -- and I'm not just talking about Sonar, here. Increasingly, the sheer volume of little tech and usage issues for a wide range of software tools forces me to take the expediency of accepting the first workable solution to a problem -- rather than pursuing the issue to its best conclusion.

I know that's not right - -but, like I said, I just don't have time to track down the best solution to all these nagging little problems (again, this is across the board, not related to Sonar or even computer music).

I don't like settiling for expediency -- but unless our "solutions providers" can start explaining their products better and more thoroughly, I predict that more and more of us end up limping along with the first workable solution that comes along -- even though the very notion runs contrary to everything we think is right and sensible.

Cranky. I'm cranky today...
    post edited by theblue1 - 2005/08/09 16:03:22
    Sepheritoh
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 585
    RE: VSC and patch names in Sonar 4 2005/08/09 16:01:01 (permalink)
    It is working fine here. Did you select the bank number? It would do what you describe if no bank is selected.
    mewsician2
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1078
    RE: VSC and patch names in Sonar 4 2005/08/09 16:08:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: theblue1

I just don't have time to track down the best solution to all these nagging little problems (again, this is across the board, not related to Sonar or even computer music).

I don't like settiling for expediency -- but unless our "solutions providers" can start explaining their products better and more thoroughly, I predict that more and more of us end up limping along with the first workable solution that comes along -- even though the very notion runs contrary to everything we think is right and sensible.

Cranky. I'm cranky today...

Maybe not the exact words, but I've said this numerous times.
    The thing is, I've promised myself that with my new Sonar software, I'm gonna dedicate myself to learning this one!
    From hearing whats being created musically over at the "Song" forum, I have to be able to get results like that!
    I know there's awesome talent there, but I'm no rookie, and I'm tired of being limited by ignorance of the software!
    I was cranky yesterday...
    Today I have a headache!
    huviolan
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: VSC and patch names in Sonar 4 2005/08/09 19:44:07 (permalink)
    Well,
    Thanks a lot to everybody for the comments.
    I mast say that finally , after fighting a lot, I found that if you use a VST soft synth installed in Sonar 4 trought the VST adapter utility wich comes with Sonar, you can change the patches, but you can not get the patch name showed in the track view. Just in the interface of the soft synth. o, you ned to get the DXi native version of that synth ( if it exist, of course), and then , you get the patchs names, troug the selection of the proper bank.
    By the way....does anibody know about a good GM compatible soft synth , better than the Sound Canvas DXi ??? I willl really apreciate any data on this isue.
    Bye and regards from Argentina again for your time following my post.

Hugo

PD: To MICV:
    I am playing around with sound fonts to see if I can help with your problem. I let you know soon. Just tell me....are you using sound fonts trougha soft synth ??? or are you using a sound board sound font compatibble directly??

micv
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 285
    RE: VSC and patch names in Sonar 4 2005/08/10 11:35:55 (permalink)
    huviolan,
    I had a recent thread on this it may be searchable still. I use the sfz SF player (VST and DXi) that a lot of folks here recommended. I came to the same situation that you've found: I can change patch by number or I just use the default GM patch name but I can not see the actual SF name. I can see the SF name just fine through the sfz though. It's workable for GM patch but for custom instruments patch it's a bit anoying.
    I was using Sound Canvas and was on the trail to find better sound and I ended up with soundfont. There are alot of free and high quality samples so it's very cost effective for me to get started in the softsynth. I also looked at other like Giga, Kontak, but the cost is too much for me.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1