Studio Monitor Question, What should I buy?

Author
Dimuthu_DeeJay
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 264
2005/08/09 00:32:15 (permalink)

Studio Monitor Question, What should I buy?

I want to buy a small monitoring for my mixing processes. I just go through behringer site and saw MS16 monitor speakers.

Description

Is it OK if I buy this one? (I'm not doing vocals yet, for that I use my friends studio).

Shall I jump to vocals mixing and mastering using this system in the future?

If not please suggest me a system worth for my pocket. (Around $50 to $75)

Thanks in Advance!!!

(Sonar4PE, Reason 2.5, FL Studio 5)
post edited by Dimuthu_DeeJay - 2005/08/09 00:43:57

www.myspace.com/dimuthu

4 Replies Related Threads

LionSound
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3616
    RE: Studio Monitor Question, What should I buy? 2005/08/09 03:20:32 (permalink)
    Are you mixing or just need a small referance? If you are mixing, try the RP5's by KRK or the BX5a's by M-Audio ... they go for about $300 a pair and are probably the best in the budget price range.

www.soundclick.com/lionsound

FirstStrike 1.2 IS RELEASED! www.fsmod.com
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    RE: Studio Monitor Question, What should I buy? 2005/08/09 08:10:24 (permalink)
    With all the money that you have spent on software, it seems a little foolish to budget such a small amount such an important piece of equiment.

Fifty to seventy-five dollars is just not enough for any acceptable studio monitors. You would be better off using headphones.
    tor
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 852
    RE: Studio Monitor Question, What should I buy? 2005/08/09 11:03:59 (permalink)
    No matter what the price is, you have to try before you buy!!!!!!
    And Scook: Though you might be right in most cases in that cheap monitors are worse in quality than more expensive ones,
    there are examples of the opposite.
    And furthermore, it could be that certain music and sound properties would be easier to mix on specific and priceindependent monitors, it's all about what the artist/musician wants to express, and what tools makes this easiest for him/her/them.
    This makes it all the more important to try before you buy!!
    Good luck.
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    RE: Studio Monitor Question, What should I buy? 2005/08/09 11:53:14 (permalink)
    To your point Tor, I am not suggesting that price determines quality. If that were the case, the decisions we make would be much easier. There are many more factors at work. The question is does a $75 dollar set of speakers make sense in this setting.

Unquestionably is it easier to mix on monitors but if I had less that $100 dollars to spend, I would suggest it would be better to buy a decent set of headphones.

Certainly auditioning hardware is a good idea, assuming you can do it where you live.

The only other point I was trying to make is that with an investment of around $1000 in software and the considerable investment in DAW hardware, going excessively cheap on monitors does not make a lot of sense.

In any event, good luck DmJ.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1