Setting good record levels

Author
skw1
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2005/08/09 15:55:10 (permalink)

Setting good record levels

Hi - This is probably pretty basic, but isn't making sense to me:

I have been using a Pod XT live - Mackie Mixer - Soundblaster card - Sonar 4 to record some guitar tracks.

I test the record level and it looks well below clipping level on all meters (Mackie and Sonar) and sounds good while I'm recording. However, when I play back, the louder portions of the track are clipping pretty badly, but the meters aren't in the red or anything.

I used to just compress everything with an ART compressor going into the sound card, but it's not the most high end gear and I didn't want it mucking everything up.

How low do you set your recording levels to avoid this problem? (what db level should they "peak" at?) Do you think this is a soundcard issue? Should I dust off the compressor?

Thanks for any guidance you may have time to provide.

Scott

8 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Setting good record levels 2005/08/09 16:00:58 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: skw1

Hi - This is probably pretty basic, but isn't making sense to me:

I have been using a Pod XT live - Mackie Mixer - Soundblaster card - Sonar 4 to record some guitar tracks.

I test the record level and it looks well below clipping level on all meters (Mackie and Sonar) and sounds good while I'm recording. However, when I play back, the louder portions of the track are clipping pretty badly, but the meters aren't in the red or anything.

I used to just compress everything with an ART compressor going into the sound card, but it's not the most high end gear and I didn't want it mucking everything up.

How low do you set your recording levels to avoid this problem? (what db level should they "peak" at?) Do you think this is a soundcard issue? Should I dust off the compressor?

Thanks for any guidance you may have time to provide.

Scott

You may need to set your compressor to just limit if you record at 16bit. If you had a card that would let you run at 24bit you would not have to worry about lower levels so much because there would be plenty of detail even at low levels.

If the input gets real dynamic then it might be best to use the compressor anyway, I still use my ART Levelar from time to time, I love that little thing.
    wogg
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1819
    RE: Setting good record levels 2005/08/09 16:01:55 (permalink)
    The clipping may be elsewhere in the chain prior to AD conversion.

1 - Make sure the SB recording level in the control panel is up all the way (without any mic gain). Adjust the output level of the Mackie for the recording level.
    2 - Check the PFL on the mackie to make sure the POD output isn't overloading it.

Homepage:
    The World of Wogg

FunkDaDevil
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Setting good record levels 2005/08/09 16:02:47 (permalink)
    Sounds like it could be the sound card. I don't really know if Sound blaster is held in high regard for recording. Maybe "gaming", but not recording audio.

Just my take. Maybe someone else can chime in.....

Music you can see clearly,... when you close your eyes.......

skw1
    RE: Setting good record levels 2005/08/09 16:10:09 (permalink)
    Thanks for such speedy info!

Are the Sonar meters worth watching? They just look like there shouldn't be any problem. I guess I should just set the levels to avoid the clipping and use my ears and not my eyes?

Is this something an envelope in Sonar could prevent (instead of using the compressor)? Or is that just not what envelopes are for?

Scott
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Setting good record levels 2005/08/09 16:13:55 (permalink)

Thanks for such speedy info!

Are the Sonar meters worth watching? They just look like there shouldn't be any problem. I guess I should just set the levels to avoid the clipping and use my ears and not my eyes?

Is this something an envelope in Sonar could prevent (instead of using the compressor)? Or is that just not what envelopes are for?

Scott

No, that won't work. All the envelopes and plugins don't affect the recorded signal, so by the time it get's to them it's too late. You HAVE to catch the peaks before they get to the sound card input.
    skw1
    RE: Setting good record levels 2005/08/09 16:23:41 (permalink)
    OK - so it sounds like either going back to limiting everything with the compressor.

Would a better audio card be less likely to clip this way?
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    RE: Setting good record levels 2005/08/09 16:31:15 (permalink)

OK - so it sounds like either going back to limiting everything with the compressor.

It depends on what is the true source of the problem. If you are just overdriving the sound card inputs, the fix would be to lower the output of the mackie (see wogg above).

A better sound interface would not hurt, but it may not help this problem.
    blackdogstudio
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 252
    RE: Setting good record levels 2005/08/09 16:31:18 (permalink)

Yes. I recommend the audiophile 24/96. Good beginner sound card and not expensive ($100.00+). If your XTlive has S/PDIF out I recommend using that.

Cheers
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1