16-bit mastering - help!

Author
philbrux
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2005/08/11 04:03:00 (permalink)

16-bit mastering - help!

Hi,

I'm a novice user trying to master a mix recorded at 24-bit, 44.1kHz down to 16-bit so I can make a CD. My song involves six acoustic instrument tracks and a vocal track, no midi.

I was felling very pleased with myself listening to the 24-bit mix - each track is distortion-free, the overall level is hot but not clipping, all the bassy and trebly bits sound great, etc.

However when I export to a 16-bit stereo Wav file, I was disappointed to find the whole thing is a mess of distortion. This is true even when (as an experiment) I turn the output level way down so the peaks are nowhere near the red zone, it still sounds awful.

So I'd be grateful for some beginners advice on 16-bit mastering. Is it just about the track levels, or is eq relevant too? I've been reading on the Sonar forum that the pros use exotic compression plugins for mastering - do I need one of these? If so, which one (on a bedroom-studio budget!) Is overall compression necessary or desirable for acoustic music? At the moment I have no processing in the master channel. I only use a compressor on the vocal track.

I'm having particular trouble with a bassy drum track that has a big bass eq boost and a long reverb. I turn the level right down as an experiment, but it still distorts badly in the 16-bit version. It seems to interact badly with the other tracks too. Is this because this track has so much bass? How do I lose the distortion but keep the big bass sound?

Thanks, Phil.

5 Replies Related Threads

boten
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: 16-bit mastering - help! 2005/08/11 07:46:22 (permalink)
    Did you apply dither when exporting the file to 16 bit from your 24 bit mix?
    papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: 16-bit mastering - help! 2005/08/11 12:08:37 (permalink)
    Ditto on the dither.

To fully understand the fundamental principles of dithering CLICK HERE.

If your tracks were properly recorded, applying dithering when exporting to 16 bit should work fine with no (audible) distortion.

Regards,
    Papa

Regards,
    Papa
    philbrux
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: 16-bit mastering - help! 2005/08/12 02:17:54 (permalink)
    Hi both,

I did have CW Home Studio dither turned on, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

Since I posted my question, I have downloaded Izotope Ozone (www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone) which is free for 10 days, and spent a few hours playing with this on my stereo mix.

I think I've discovered that my problem is too much bass boost and peaking in the bass band. I've got used to putting big bass eq boost on my acoustic guitar and drum tracks, which sounds fine at 24 bit but causes distortion at 16 bit. By turning the eq down a bit in individual tracks, and compressing the bass peaks a bit with the Ozone multiband compressor, I seem to have sorted the problem, and still have a good bass sound.

Ozone has a fancy dither algorithm, but I can't hear any difference in the 16-bit version with it on or off. This doesn't seem to be the crucial thing in taming the 16-bit distortion. I've switched it on anyway.

Phil.
    sinc
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3116
    RE: 16-bit mastering - help! 2005/08/12 07:55:08 (permalink)
    I've got used to putting big bass eq boost on my acoustic guitar and drum tracks, which sounds fine at 24 bit but causes distortion at 16 bit.

Something sounds fishy. I've never heard of exporting to 16-bit to cause distortion, and I always record in 24-bit and export to 16-bit. I suspect your problem is something else.

If you are indeed causing distortion by by bumping levels up too far, you should see the red clip meter light on your output bus. If you see this, try putting a limter on your master bus. Any signal that is above 0dB when it leaves the master bus will result in distortion.
    sinc
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3116
    RE: 16-bit mastering - help! 2005/08/12 07:56:59 (permalink)
    Also, make sure you do your mastering in 24-bit, not 16-bit. The dither down to 16-bit should be the last thing you do.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1