behringer the best small controller? (just faders,knobs)

Author
crabtwins
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1460
2005/08/11 12:47:39 (permalink)

behringer the best small controller? (just faders,knobs)

I am looking for suggestions on a nice little controller. I looked at the BFC200 behringer and I liked the faders and knobs, but I was wondering what is out there that is comparable. I want to get to a point where I can open a new project template and all my tracks have their volumes and perhaps panning, effects etc. already mapped to controls instead of doing this every time from scratch. BUT! I would also like to have it in front of me on my desk, not so much turning sideways and messing with the keyboard (PCR-50), call me lazy. COnsidering that these controls are essentially pretty damn small and can fit on a the keyboard, I am thinking there must be something out there just waiting for me to discover it! so far ive seen the BCR2000 and the BFC2000 but they seem a little big.

thanks in advance forum!
post edited by crabtwins - 2005/08/11 17:32:17

18 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: behringer the best small controller? (just faders,knobs) 2005/08/11 18:08:26 (permalink)
    so far ive seen the BCR2000 and the BFC2000 but they seem a little big.
    Hmm ... smaller than a BCX controller? The only thing that immediately comes to mind within that limitation s the X-Session controller from M-Audio. 16 knobs, 10 buttons, and one crossfader (all programmable). IIRC, Guitar Center was blowing these out last year for $79 US.
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: behringer the best small controller? (just faders,knobs) 2005/08/11 19:21:24 (permalink)
    Don't know if you're an electronics whiz or not, but these little projects look very interesting to me--I like messing with circuits. Basically, it uses a small "microcontroller" chip that can be had for a few dollars, some interface circuitry, and whatever pots/sliders/sensors you want to use in order to build your own MIDI controller.

If you build one yourself you can design it to be as small or large as you want--and based on component prices I'll bet one of these could be built for less than it costs to buy one from Behringer or the like.

http://www.ucapps.de/
    http://www.midibox.org/users/tor_arne/midibox64_walkthrough/
    http://www.audiomulch.com/midipic/

And finally, a Google search:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=diy+midi+controller
    Bradster
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: behringer the best small controller? (just faders,knobs) 2005/08/11 20:25:58 (permalink)
    Hmm ... smaller than a BCX controller?

Actually B-rock, Behringer does have a new little guy, the BCN44 -- the Nano. It's cute, simple, and cheap if that's what you're looking for (Behringer's product page says it's only available in Europe but there are state-side sites that list it). The only downside I see is that's it only has MIDI in-out ports, no USB, and is powered by either batteries or a wall wart.

On a more general topic, what's the 411 on Behringer gear? The prices are almost obscenely low which would give one pause. But every review I've read has been overwhelmingly positive across their entire line, even from the sober pages of SoundOnSound. I've actually got my eye on a couple of their Ultragain Tube preamps.

TUBE ULTRAGAIN T1953 2-Channel Tube Microphone/Line Preamplifier
    ULTRAFEX T1954 2-Channel Tube Multiband Sound Enhancement System

At $130 a pop it's hard to go wrong. Unless of course they actually go "Pop!".

Techead:
    Yeah I remember those days, soldering iron in hand. While it's very satisfying when the thing actually works, I doubt the component costs would end up being any cheaper than a Chinese import unless you had some wholesale access to parts. Blister packs from The Shack or Fry's will end up killing you in the end.

But I'm sure Dan Deacon has a in somewhere...

Bradster

"Why build when you can buy?"
    RAR
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 286
    RE: behringer the best small controller? (just faders,knobs) 2005/08/11 20:50:20 (permalink)
    I know the BFC2000 has Mackie Contol emulation, but what I would like to know if it has Mackie Control Extender emulatiion. This would be a cheap way to add extenders to the Mackie Control.

I know a room full of musical tunes.
    Some rhyme, some ching, most of them are clockwork.
    Let's go into the other room and make them work.
    -Barret
    Bradster
    RE: behringer the best small controller? (just faders,knobs) 2005/08/11 21:17:03 (permalink)
    So if the Behringer can emulate a Mackie Controller, and the Mackie is supported in SONAR, does this mean that the BFC2000 will work seamlessly in SONAR?

This is probably the wrong forum to be asking this, but it's a good data point nonetheless.

b rock
    RE: behringer the best small controller? (just faders,knobs) 2005/08/11 21:30:46 (permalink)
    If I remember the Sonar threads correctly, there were some trials and tribulations with the BCF implementation at first, but I believe that those problems were ironed out. I'll have to look up those threads, because I was quite interested in the controller at the time.

Isn't it James D that has one here? We'll see about the specifics when he chimes in (if he has Sonar; that is).
    [Here: I'll bait him. "We at least need a generic control surface implementation in P5 2.5."

This Yamaha 01X here uses the same Mackie Control surface in Sonar as the BCF . I'll just say that "seemlessly" is a relative term, but I'm fairly satisfied with the functionality that it gives me. Thanks for the Nano reminder, Brad. I seem to remember seeing that in a NAMM report (or not ... short-term memory loss and all).
    techead
    RE: behringer the best small controller? (just faders,knobs) 2005/08/11 22:04:50 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Bradster
    "Why build when you can buy?"

I know what you mean...on the other hand there is the sheer joy of creating something unique that no other musician has and can be modified at will without worrying about the warranty (not that I particulary care about warranties). I am so tempted...
    crabtwins
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1460
    RE: behringer the best small controller? (just faders,knobs) 2005/08/11 22:58:15 (permalink)
    I agree techead. I double as an electrical engineer during the day so the idea of building my personal control board! It almost seems like it might not be worth the trouble to set it up for p5 and then do it all again in Sonar. Templates that is. Another thing is that if I set my template in p5 for say 6 tracks, I wish that the remote controlled assignments would follow the track order and not the original instrument it was assigned to or have that be a choice. Follow instrument() Dont follow instrument()

im rambling.

James D
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 182
    RE: behringer the best small controller? (just faders,knobs) 2005/08/12 00:17:32 (permalink)
    B rock,

You know I will be baited when you mention controllers and the BCF2000 LOL

It's about the size of a laptop in your desk.

Yes I own one of these beauties and it works well with Sonar 2.2 XL, Sonar 3.1.1 and Sonar 4.03 With My BCF200 and my Sonar 3.1.1 I have the following Functionality under Mackie Emulation Mode:

*Motorized 100 mm fader
    *Mute on individual tracks
    *solo on individual tracks
    *Fader touch will select track in Sonar
    *Track select in Sonar will select the BCF2000 channel and light up a channel select button.
    *Aux sends select
    *main send select
    *Full L/R panning and it's responsive to automation from Sonar
    *Full fader responsive to automation in Sonar.
    *Full transport functionality FF, RR, stop, play, record, arm track for recording, go to beginning of track, go to end of track.
    *Apply 4 band EQ, apply chorus, apply some FX built in to Sonar, but can be programmed to insert more.
    EQ can be added to tracks, and buses; Reverb on track and buses; chorus on tracks and buses plus there is more.

*Upper top 8 button are mapped to any selection available in a list available in the Mackie emulation controller page (select to use F1 - F8 and assign a function to each button from a list in a drop down box).

Insert audio track
    Insert midi track
    Fit track to window
    Fit project to window
    Button to select "OK" if winows ask a question like, (Do you want to save project?)
    Cancel button to select "NO"
    Next window button to swith between all open windows
    Close button to close the current open window.
    Add Loop markers
    set punch-in recording parameters
    Undo and redo buttons
    Channel up and channel down buttons
    Open Mixer window
    Open loop file folder
    select to see aux sends and apply settings
    select main outs and apply settings
    select main tracks and applu settings
    Pan button to apply Panning on your available tracks

Again, you have 8 available buttons to create what you want that's available in the Mackie emulation settings page. These are the first row of flat buttons on the top, (not the knobs)

Second and third of flat buttons: Each Flat panel buttons on these two rows on the BCF2000 has three functions because there are two shift button. Each button has a default function, Next there is an additional function applied when you press the upper shift button and another function when you press the lower shift button.

If you are composing with more than 8 tracks, then you need add 8 more tracks because the BCF2000 will drop the beginning tracks to bring show the remaining tracks when you use the channel bank button. For instance, if you have 10 track in you project, then you will see the first 8 because ther are only 8 fader. To see the remaining tracks you have to press the channel bank button. Remember that the controller will only allow 8 tracks at a time, so it will drop th first two tracks to allow the full 8 tracks of 2 - 10 to be seen. If you set it up in tracks of 8, then when you press the channel bank button, then tracks 9-16 will show and be available. It doesn't matter if tracks 11- 16 are empty tracks, you are only interested in accessing tracks 9 and 10 and seeing them appear in the proper order.

Special note

cakewalk change the mackie controller file from Sonar 2.2xl to Sonar 3.0. for the ability to have the fader touch highlight the Sonar track, and to have the track select in sonar follow the Track select on the BCF2000, you have to take the MackieControl (Configuration setting) and the MackieControl.dll file out of sonar 2 and replace the Sonar 3 one. Afte using this in Sonar 2.2XL and then removing it from my PC and then installing sonar 3, I immediate noticed the difference and traced it back to these two file. If anyone needs these two files let me know and I will e-mail them to you.

The BCF2000 has very limited functionality in P5 primarily due to the Motorized fader and the 8 responsive rotory knobs used in panning. Some of the buttons can be used with Midi learn in P5, but not all.

Cakewalk support this in P5 PLEASSSSEEE !!!

To see the what it can do in Sonar, look at the BCF2000 Templates and view the one for sonar 3 it will show the function buttons.

I hope this helps

Peace,
    post edited by James D - 2005/08/12 00:30:22

Enjoy the sweet sound of music forever!
    Sonar5
    techead
    RE: behringer the best small controller? (just faders,knobs) 2005/08/12 00:28:21 (permalink)
    James,

Have you been using the BCF2000 with Project5? Any tips to share--if so let's put them on the P5 Wiki.

-Techead
    James D
    RE: behringer the best small controller? (just faders,knobs) 2005/08/12 00:54:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: techead

James,

Have you been using the BCF2000 with Project5? Any tips to share--if so let's put them on the P5 Wiki.

-Techead

Techead,

Not really, The faders motorization has to be turned off to work with Project5 and the Pan pots only rotate left in P5 not right for panning. The only thing I have have full success is with the transport controls. I have Play used for Play/stop, I have stop used for record, because the BCF uses a shift feature to start recording. There are so many buttons features that I will not be able to use because it the shift pressing which is needed for the additional functions. i can midi learn Ff, RW, and a few others

I can Midi learn each mute button, and each solo button, but became frustrated and just stopped attempting o use it in P5 and just reverted back to using in only in Sonar .

I would not purchase it as a dedicated controller for P5 because of the fader issue, the pan pan pot issue, an the shift button issue. you would only be using 1/3 of the functionality even with turning off the motorization.

Currently I use my Oxygen 8 for the midi contoller with P5 only, and I use the BCF2000 for Sonar only, that's one of the reason why I rewire P5 into Sonar. I can finish everything in Sonar and have the BCF2000 as my responsive control unit.

Peace,
    post edited by James D - 2005/08/12 01:01:12

Sonar5
    James D
    RE: behringer the best small controller? (just faders,knobs) 2005/08/12 01:09:07 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Bradster

The prices are almost obscenely low which would give one pause. But every review I've read has been overwhelmingly positive across their entire line, even from the sober pages of SoundOnSound. I've actually got my eye on a couple of their Ultragain Tube preamps.

Bradster,

I am waiting for their MINIAMP AMP800 to become available. It's a 4 channel stereo headphone amplifier. only $49.00

Photo of MINIAMP ANP800 FRONT PHOTO

MINIAMP AMP800 BACK REAR PHOTO

This is going to be a nice addition and can discard my old ART headphone mixer.

Behringer has some good items, I am not sure if it's self developed or imitated designs that they are using, but hey, its affordable!!

Peace
    post edited by James D - 2005/08/12 12:40:42

Sonar5
    Bradster
    RE: behringer the best small controller? (just faders,knobs) 2005/08/12 13:31:56 (permalink)
    Thanks James D!

(now I have the Eagles' "James Dean" in my head...)

I ask for a data point, I get an encyclopedia. You're going to get along just fine in here (welcome, BTW). And you're just what this crowd needs -- another Gear Lust Enabler. Between B-rock, JMeredith, and now you, my Visa doesn't stand a chance. Actually, I'm still working through my Miroslav Peace Dividend, otherwise known as the Pace Slush Fund.

Seriously, thanks for the good news about Behringer. I really wanna like them. It's a perfect price point for home studio noodlers like myself. A $1K Mackie or Yamaha surface is just out of the question, but a $199 BCF -- or even better, a $129 BCR) is a sweet spot. Looking at the whole range of B gear, they're less than half or even a quarter of the price of the cache brands. I'm sure Focusrite, Lexicon, PreSonus, dbx, Aphex, et. al., are better built (though probably still China) products, but are they really worth sometimes 10x the price?

This isn't so much a rant as a, "Wow! Look at all I can get for $130!" exclamation. It just opens up new possibilities.

Yeah, these little minis are cute as a button. Considering they'll probably street for under $40 USD, they're irresistable. I like the sounds of the COM 800 Modeling Compressor myself. Any idea of an ETA?

Of course, the fun part will be figuring out how to route an external FX loop buss out of SONAR through the Firewire 1814 to apply this stuff. B-rock, help!

Bradster
    jmeredith
    • Total Posts : 174
    RE: behringer the best small controller? (just faders,knobs) 2005/08/12 14:21:34 (permalink)
    Actually, I'm still working through my Miroslav Peace Dividend, otherwise known as the Pace Slush Fund.

On 8/1, I politely email and ask for a refund given the dongle wasn't mentioned upfront, receive a phonecall trying to dissuade me from cancelling my order, still politely ask for a refund.

The latest response I received on 8/9 is as follows...
    "I'm sorry for the delay in getting the refund properly processed... we've had some outside factors which limited our
    ability to get this taken care of. Rest assured that the refund will show up by tomorrow."

As of today, there still is NO credit to my Visa account - should I be concerned, more patient, email Squids directly???
    b rock
    RE: behringer the best small controller? (just faders,knobs) 2005/08/12 18:32:18 (permalink)
    how to route an external FX loop buss out of SONAR through the Firewire 1814 to apply this stuff. B-rock, help!
    I'm not sure of the specifics in the driver implementations of either the 1814 or the BCF. But I can branch out part of a track's signal to an Effect Send buss [with FX] in Sonar, then output that directly to one of the mLAN channels in the control surface. Loop that out of the Yamaha to my external hardware, back in to the 01X, then over mLAN again into another return track in Sonar. Complete control over the signal processing every step of the way. I'd hope that you could do the same with the M-Audio FW box and the BCF.

I like this guy James Dean, don't you? His lengthy replies remind me of someone ... can't put my finger on it. He'll make a great D'Artagnen to the Three Gear-Lustkateers. Dibs on first in line at the soup kitchen. Let's just hope Marcella isn't the head server ...
    Bradster
    RE: behringer the best small controller? (just faders,knobs) 2005/08/12 19:37:03 (permalink)
    JM,

So sorry to hear of that. Talk about adding insult to (marginally averted) injury. My respect for this outfit wanes by the day. I would give their CS one more call, then pull the nuclear option -- dispute the changes.

My peace dividend is a bit more virtual. I was this close to drinking the kool-aide when the dongle hit the fan. But the money still needs to be spent. Hellooooooo Behringer. If I can't get an orchestra-in-a-box, I'll make this PodXT cry with the warm tube fuzzies.

Which brings us to...

Thanks Tom. I figured this was possible. I don't have a BCx yet, but will most definitely be getting a T1952 Compressor/Limiter/Expander soon that I'll want to run everything through at least once. Twice if it hurts.

The 1814 has 2 pairs of balanced TRS outs, 1 pair Neutrik balanced ins, and 3 additional unbalanced ins. All of these are visible in SONAR. It seems logical that I could create a buss that routes out through a different pair than I'm sending to the monitors. Then what, create a new audio track with the inputs set to the returns from the external FX?

Something like:

[audio track] -> [stereo bus] -> [output 1814 #2] -> [FX unit] -> [input 1814 #2] -> [new audio track] -> [Master] -> [Main Output (1814 #1]

It's all clear until the end.

B'ster

b rock
    RE: behringer the best small controller? (just faders,knobs) 2005/08/12 19:58:57 (permalink)
    I'm thinking that you've got the routing down, Brad. I just use the spare audio track as a return, then send it to the Master Out. The original track also gets sent to the master, but the Effect Send gets routed to a distinct output of its own, and looped back to the 'return' track.
    Bradster
    RE: behringer the best small controller? (just faders,knobs) 2005/08/12 20:13:50 (permalink)
    Thanks as always, Tom.

(when did I start calling you Tom?)

I'm glad I chose the 1814 over the 410, but I was focued on the balanced outputs at the time and didn't properly consider having enough balanced ins. For what this thing lists for, I consider that a very cleanly cut corner. Maybe that Layla 3G after all?

Going back to Behringer, one of the things that amazes me about their stuff is that almost everything has balanced (and often both TRS and XLR) I/O. Even the < $100 parts. Now that's value.

I may have to forgo my usual internet shopping tax-avoidance route and do the brick-and-mortar thing at GC/SA. I can't wait to go analogue all the way. I'll go in commando. No, wait, that's a different venue...

It's Friday.

B'ster
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1