Studiomix and remote control

Author
donhearl
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 380
2005/08/11 14:56:30 (permalink)

Studiomix and remote control

Greetings again,

I'll promise I'll be a contributor to this forum. Please bear with me as I work through some technical issues with my DAW setup.

I have the Studiomix controller. It's a fine piece of hardware and has served me well. I love the two speeds of jog wheel available. In Sonar 4, it appears that the only way to set up the automation to control remotely via external control is to right click on the automatable (word?) parameter, click remote control, then have Sonar "learn" the appropriate settings. When I do this and try to make fader adjustments using Studimix, I get extremely jerky response from the fader. The little servos go nuts and the volume envelope is very hard to generate this way. When I go back and look at the envelope nodes, they record much more smoothly, but during recording automation the jumps are 6 db or more at a time. yikes!

Has anyone had this issue? Will I be able to use the Studiomix for external control during automation recording? I may need to look into other options if not. I would imagine that the "learned" settings are just off and that I need to modify them. Any input as to your setup for external control is welcome! I would much rather do this with a controller than a mouse. No problems recording automation with the mouse by the way.

Thanks again.

Don

Sonar 8.3.1, Core 2 Quad Q9300, 4 GB DDR2 ram, 4 X 500 GB Sata II 32 mb drives, Lynx Aurora 16, RME FF800, 2XUAD-1 PCIe

6 Replies Related Threads

Harvey Cedars
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1225
    RE: Studiomix and remote control 2005/08/11 18:26:11 (permalink)
    I also have a Studiomix controller but I find the faders to be too coarse in their resolution the volume jumps and drops are very coarse all the way up to .5 or .6 db. So all I use the studio mix for is the transport controls, jog wheel, and the buttons which help in the editing process. I rarely use the faders for anything, but I still have them enabled for track volume. I wish there were a setting for fader resolution in the Studiomix controller settings, then I would use them.
    post edited by Harvey Cedars - 2005/08/11 18:34:24
    donhearl
    RE: Studiomix and remote control 2005/08/11 19:49:53 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply Harvey. I'm with you. yup - It looks like I'll be in the market for a controller soon. I do have my eye on a Mackie, but will research before I take the plunge.

Regards,

Don

Sonar 8.3.1, Core 2 Quad Q9300, 4 GB DDR2 ram, 4 X 500 GB Sata II 32 mb drives, Lynx Aurora 16, RME FF800, 2XUAD-1 PCIe
    malexander
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: Studiomix and remote control 2005/08/11 21:08:54 (permalink)
    I use the studiomix without having to do the learn thing. Sonar 4 has a studioware panel for the the studiomix. You should be able to install the panel if it is not currently installed. Once installed, you can set up the midi in/out and how the various controllers on the studiomix function.

I'll review this when I get to my rig.

Regards,
    Matthew
    donhearl
    RE: Studiomix and remote control 2005/08/11 21:38:33 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply. I'm able to assign functions to all of the buttons and faders, but have an issue with "jerky" faders while recording automation. I contend that the learn function isnt setting up the proper parameters for the Studiomix. I'm interested in what you find out when you get back to your DAW, especially while recording automation from the Studiomix.

Don

malexander
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: Studiomix and remote control 2005/08/13 01:41:18 (permalink)
    Don,

You should be able to set up the studiomix as follow:
    1. Select the menu item Options|Control Surfaces
    2. Press the yellow icon to Add new Control Surface
    3. In the little window that opens select Studiomix and the midi ports (if you don't see Studiomix, try reinstalling Sonar and only select control surfaces during the install process)
    4. Press OK
    5. Press Close

With the studiomix now set up, open the Studiomix panel as follows:
    1. Select the menu item Tools|StudioMix
    2. Set the controls as you like
    3. Save the settings as a Preset
    4. Close the window

As Harvey said above, the faders are fairly coarse in their resolution. This will affect the recorded automation. I have recorded automation without any trouble. I have also added volume envelopes and watched the faders follow the envelope without any trouble. I don't know that I'd call the faders jerky per se, but they definitely are not as smooth as I would like. For now, the faders work well enough.

I can email screen shots if that would help.
    post edited by malexander - 2005/08/13 01:47:01

Regards,
    Matthew
    donhearl
    RE: Studiomix and remote control 2005/08/13 15:24:12 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply. I have Studiomix properly set up as you say, however I still have to engage remote control to record automation data from the controller. When I do, There's no setting for Studiomix, so I ask it to "learn" I'll play around with it more.

Thanks all for your assistance. I'm doing a complete studio rebuild - wood floors and bass traps....and a new paint scheme. So im out of commission for a few weeks.

Regards,

Don

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1