OT: Tuning Percusion Instruments

Author
SpiderHasLegs
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 33
2005/08/11 16:51:17 (permalink)

OT: Tuning Percusion Instruments

[I've posted this thread in the techniques forum but was hoping for a little exposure here]

I've always considered myself a fairly musical person though i'm fairly new to making music with computers. I've learned to play a number of instruments by ear and am fairly adept at tuning them.

However, the other day i saw a video demonstration of someone working in Reason, tuning various percusion intruments to the base line of the song. Much to my chagrin, i could not indentify when, how or why these samples were out of tune.

What was particlularly upsetting was the author making mention of '... how much better it sounds ... noticeable difference ...' the changes he was making.

My question(s) is this: is it common practice to tune hand claps, drums etc to the rest of the song in order for them to 'fit' or 'blend' in with the rest of the song? If so, does this person have a much better ear than i or is there a certain amount of experience/science to this that can be learned over time?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated,

C
post edited by SpiderHasLegs - 2005/08/11 16:57:03

8 Replies Related Threads

danwilms
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 71
    RE: OT: Tuning Percusion Instruments 2005/08/11 17:46:10 (permalink)
    I can't answer to tuning in the computer but when I work with a band mixing live for any length of time I will at some point sit and tune the drums. It's one of those 2% things that seperates the great sounding bands from everyone else.

There are a lot of little tricks that you learn over the years like to control a ringing drum you tune it all the lugs slightly high and back off two opposing lugs. It doesn't change the tone or feel but it does stop the woooo ooooo ring that makes some kits miserable to mic.

Dan
    post edited by danwilms - 2005/08/11 17:51:43
    joetabby
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: OT: Tuning Percusion Instruments 2005/08/11 18:32:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SpiderHasLegs

[I've posted this thread in the techniques forum but was hoping for a little exposure here]

I've always considered myself a fairly musical person though i'm fairly new to making music with computers. I've learned to play a number of instruments by ear and am fairly adept at tuning them.

However, the other day i saw a video demonstration of someone working in Reason, tuning various percusion intruments to the base line of the song. Much to my chagrin, i could not indentify when, how or why these samples were out of tune.

What was particlularly upsetting was the author making mention of '... how much better it sounds ... noticeable difference ...' the changes he was making.

My question(s) is this: is it common practice to tune hand claps, drums etc to the rest of the song in order for them to 'fit' or 'blend' in with the rest of the song? If so, does this person have a much better ear than i or is there a certain amount of experience/science to this that can be learned over time?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated,

C

I can't speak to the merits of the particular Reason video you saw, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

If you have confidence in your own ear, experience, gut and monitoring environment, then just go with your instincts. You gotta take a lot of this advice and tutorials (including my own ) with an extremely large grain of salt.

That said, tuning a live band's trapset is frequently critical, especially if it hasn't been done in a while or it's been tuned in a haphazard fashion, or they've been gigging for 6 months ( it's... WHOOMPING when it should be KER-WHAMPPING). But unlike dealing with a sampled drumset (e.g. Reason) the problems that you record in a live environment, don't go away very easily. They remain with you as problems in the mix, and the mic spill effects the other instruments.

Sampled drums, as in Reason, are a very different story. You can change things much more easily after the fact. Yeah, you can play around with the fundamental of the bass and toms, etc, which can be effective, depending on the musical style. Still I gotta say I can't remember ever re-tuning a handclap )

But be wary of wasting your time nuancing something that really doesn't need it-- you can spend forever tweaking mediocre performances. If you're not hearing a difference, then work with those aspects of the music that you really DO hear a difference.

Regards,

Joe Tabby
    Clik
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 354
    RE: OT: Tuning Percusion Instruments 2005/08/11 21:29:17 (permalink)
    My question(s) is this: is it common practice to tune hand claps, drums etc to the rest of the song in order for them to 'fit' or 'blend' in with the rest of the song?

My question is this: if everyone else is doing it -- why would you want to?

I was listening to a variety of songs last night, and a great many of them sounded just bland. Very slick, very smooth, but to borrow a phrase from Woody Allen, they were run through the de-flavorizing machine.

Then I heard some where the mixes were very quirky and idiosyncratic. It was electrifying.

I wouldn't worry too much if you can't hear what someone else "hears." I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone twiddle the knobs and talk about how much "better" it sounds. Have you heard of the emperor's new clothes...?
    SpiderHasLegs
    RE: OT: Tuning Percusion Instruments 2005/08/11 21:52:57 (permalink)
    Danwilms, Joetabby, Clik,

Thanks very much for your input on the issue. It seems, if i've understood your responses correctly, that it is somewhat of an art [not surprisingly] and by definition is open to interpretation, taste and subjectivity.

I suppose i was more intimidated than anything, considering i'm pretty new to the scene, and was thinking about pickung up my ball and glove and going home :) And by being a newbie, may have tendencies to obsess over things that are moot/trivial to you more experienced folk.

Thanks again,

C
    post edited by SpiderHasLegs - 2005/08/11 22:00:10
    matt rascal
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: OT: Tuning Percusion Instruments 2005/08/11 22:14:34 (permalink)
    It seems like there may be a misunderstanding here. I could be wrong, but i think when they say they are "tuning various percusion intruments to the bass line of the song", they aren't talking about the drum heads actually being out of tune. If its anything like melodyne, you can take the bass line, copy the melody, and paste it on the percussion track (so you can have like bongo drums playing the melody to a song). I may be mistaken.
    SpiderHasLegs
    RE: OT: Tuning Percusion Instruments 2005/08/12 11:00:28 (permalink)
    matt rascal,

Hope my original post wasn't too vague.

The point i was trying to get accross is that once the rhythm section was laid out in Reason [which can apply to Sonar or any other DAW] the percussion samples ie; hi-hats, claps snare etc. were 'tuned' to be in the same 'key', dare i say, as the bass line.

The user in the video to which i refer, would adjust the tuning of the samples, as most DAW's allow, by tones and cents until the sample's 'sounded right'.

C
    fancyuser
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: OT: Tuning Percusion Instruments 2005/08/12 15:48:12 (permalink)
    in making hip hop drum tuning is very important. whole basslines are made or implied by the kick. the 808 kick, very popular in contemporary southern hip hop right now, is basically a low sine wave with an attack on it. in other words it's a bass note. this of course you'd have to tune. this goes for a lot of sampled kicks, toms, bongos, congas, etc. too, all these are very tonal. handclaps you're probably fine with not tuning unless it sounds obviously wrong. listen to the diwali riddim used on Sean Paul's "Get Busy", Wayne Wonder's "No Letting Go", Lumidee's "Uh Oh". this is all handclaps, but underneath each clap is a bongo or an 808 tom tone or something which give the claps a distinct note. this tone is tuned to the sub kick that comes in later. i would say if you can hum to it tune it, but i don't really hum to many hi hats, you know. if you don't hear a problem don't sweat it, there probably isn't one. good luck
    Clik
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 354
    RE: OT: Tuning Percusion Instruments 2005/08/12 23:00:57 (permalink)
    I suppose i was more intimidated than anything, considering i'm pretty new to the scene, and was thinking about pickung up my ball and glove and going home :)

Sorry -- newbies are NOT allowed to leave!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1