"New" Project5 Control Surface

Author
techead
Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4353
2005/08/12 00:24:03 (permalink)

"New" Project5 Control Surface

Anybody remember the Cakewalk Plasma FXPad? I ran into this thing the other day (don't remember how or why) and then did a search on the P5 forum for it. I found one reference some time ago by Wrench but it did not have any info about using this thing.

In avoiding spending money on a real hardware control surface and instead of getting out my soldering iron to build my own control surface hack, I thought I'd take a small test drive to see what this FXPad thing could do. It is an interesting software package.

FXPad was originally intended to be used as an joystick (or mouse) controlled X-Y pad which has a number of audio effects with parameters hard-coded to respond to the X-Y controls in the Pad GUI. However, it does allow the recording of automation data generated by movement of the pad cursor. So, you can use its audio effects in Project5 OR you can just use it to draw automation data to be reassigned to other DXi parameters.

I wrote a small howto article on the Project5 Wiki here: Project5 FXPad Control Surface

There are also some links to other articles on the web about this product: FXPad links

-Techead

10 Replies Related Threads

James D
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 182
    RE: "New" Project5 Control Surface 2005/08/12 00:31:54 (permalink)
    Techead,

I have that and I forgot all about this as well. I have to find the CD I burnt it to and install it and play around with it .

Thanks for bringing it back to rememberance.

Peace,
    post edited by James D - 2005/08/12 00:37:26

Enjoy the sweet sound of music forever!
    Sonar5
    JoMal
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 172
    RE: "New" Project5 Control Surface 2005/08/12 01:28:36 (permalink)
    Thanks techead. I bought FXpad years ago and never used it much but now you've rekindled my interest so I'll play around with it in P5 and see what happens. Looks like it's perfect for creating smooth and symetrical curves in auto mode.

John
    wrench45us
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4991
    RE: "New" Project5 Control Surface 2005/08/12 08:23:48 (permalink)

i liked it when i was playing with it

when i was running out of hard drive space, I deleted a lot of things that I didn't put back on when I got the external hard drive and moved my samples over.

as I recall there were only a few really useful sounding fx in the package
    they generally sounded kinda cheezy/cheap/thin, but it was great for ultra smoth panning

I'll have to dig this out again.

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: "New" Project5 Control Surface 2005/08/12 20:10:15 (permalink)
    Nice article at the Wiki, Bob. I'm sure that I've got that plug around here somewhere, and I'd love to try copying/pasting sections of the automation output for reassignment elsewhere. Good tip.
    jardim do mar
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1247
    RE: "New" Project5 Control Surface 2005/08/14 10:48:01 (permalink)
    on a real hardware control surface
    ,,, oh ,,, i dream,,, of the day ,, when cakewalk ,,, has a full featured,,, mapped ,,external controller ,,midi/audio,,, interface ,,,, for p5,,,,all parameters,, ,everything ,, ,, synths,, effects,,, etc....etc.... i enjoy ,, my sp-606 ,, with the p-606 software,, it;s basic,,, but extremely useful,, and fun,,,

marcella
    And Remember,,,,One thing at a Time.....
    rjt
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: "New" Project5 Control Surface 2005/08/14 17:23:32 (permalink)
    Well, two things....

1) It is free if you have Sonar 2.... so if you can't find it, you can download it from the Cakewalk website

2) I thought it was (more or less) replaced by SpectraFX? (if not, what is the difference between them?)

Take Care

Talk is cheap; supply outweighs the demand.

Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people look bright before you hear them speak.

Jerry Jones bought the Dallas Cowboys, Andy Reid owns them!!

b rock
    RE: "New" Project5 Control Surface 2005/08/14 18:15:15 (permalink)
    I thought it was (more or less) replaced by SpectraFX?
    By Jove, I believe that Ray is right! Smooth automation curves; there for the asking. And right under our collective noses. I, for one, am ashamed of myself for not finding this earlier. Thanks, Uncle Ray and Uncle Baaaaaaahb!
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: "New" Project5 Control Surface 2005/08/14 19:30:46 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: rjt

Well, two things....

1) It is free if you have Sonar 2.... so if you can't find it, you can download it from the Cakewalk website

2) I thought it was (more or less) replaced by SpectraFX? (if not, what is the difference between them?)

You are very correct, sir! I have spent so much time playing with the synths and working through the sequencer that I have totally ignored all the new effects, SpectraFX included.

I opened it up and I have to say at the moment that it appears to be nearly the identical feature set with better effects plus a new user interface. From my initial experiments with it this evening it seems that my little FXPad article instructions might actual be exactly the same for the SpectraFX.

Cool, thanks for the tip. Man do I feel ignorant now, though (maybe even a little guilty for laughing at b rock in that other thread).
    b rock
    RE: "New" Project5 Control Surface 2005/08/14 22:17:15 (permalink)
    maybe even a little guilty for laughing at b rock in that other thread
    Perish the thought, Bob. I dish it out; I can take it. Especially over what seems like such an obvious feature in hindsight. Now this Spectra FX plugin; this just proves that we've got more stuff than we know what to do with.

I seem to remember this plugin's quirks coming up once before; either in the Dark Days of 1.01 in this forum, or perhaps quite a while back in Sonar. The applications for automation curves are astounding. Cut & paste just the leading edges for synced filter sweeps. Offset curves reassigned to levels for perfect auto-panning/crossfading. Grabbing the locus or the sliders and going crazy, for some equally wild curve shapes (use a Wacom pen for that). Customizing the X and Y relationship by careful placement of those Bezier nodes. Way cool.

The weird thing is that the 'widgets' come in "pre-assigned". Just load the FX, hit play, and watch 'em go. It's also funny that the two parameters can't be overridden by MIDI Remote Control. And pattern recording? I guess that it makes sense that the parameter transmission of an FX unit comes after the synth outputs are split to pattern recording. Can't seem to get the Arrange Pane curves to pay attention to the Snap to Grid setting, either.

Maybe I'm just missing something else; it's been known to happen before. <g> But thanks for this [Bob & Ray]: Between the Spectra FX re-discovery and the LiveSet CC message LFO, I'm well on my way to exactly what I'd been looking for. I was almost to the point of picking up the soldering iron and sponge myself. That is: picking up the soldering iron, and picking up the sponge ... myself.
    post edited by b rock - 2005/08/14 22:28:57
    rjt
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: "New" Project5 Control Surface 2005/08/14 23:04:44 (permalink)
    Glad to finally contribute something..... the forum has helped me lots!

Take Care

Talk is cheap; supply outweighs the demand.

Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people look bright before you hear them speak.

Jerry Jones bought the Dallas Cowboys, Andy Reid owns them!!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1