How can I make it so MIDI is heard out of the program?

Author
HalvettesEld
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 56
2005/08/12 11:52:31 (permalink)

How can I make it so MIDI is heard out of the program?

Ive made threads about this before, but I never get a straight answer. So here I go again, please answer with a non-computer babble type answer so that I can understand it.
After I transfer a track out of HS and onto the desktop, how do I get the MIDI sounds to be heard. And how do I get the MIDI sounds to be heard on a cd when I burn the track onto a cd?

20 Replies Related Threads

papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: How can I make it so MIDI is heard out of the program? 2005/08/12 12:20:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: HalvettesEld

Ive made threads about this before, but I never get a straight answer. So here I go again, please answer with a non-computer babble type answer so that I can understand it.
    After I transfer a track out of HS and onto the desktop, how do I get the MIDI sounds to be heard. And how do I get the MIDI sounds to be heard on a cd when I burn the track onto a cd?

I'm not quite sure I understand your question but I'll try to respond.

First of all, you can't hear a MIDI track because MIDI contains no audio. It is strictly digital data that is designed to be sent to a MIDI device that interprets the info and then plays the notes contained on the MIDI track. To hear any "sound" you have to have an "audio" track setup in Home Studio.

Then you record (or bounce) your MIDI device's output(s) to the audio track(s). The click File->Export->Audio and set the path to what folder you want the audio file to reside in. Then you can "burn" that file to CD.

Hope this helps a little...

Regards,
    Papa

Regards,
    Papa
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: How can I make it so MIDI is heard out of the program? 2005/08/12 18:03:57 (permalink)
    Still haven't figured it out yet?

I'm sure I've told you before to read the Desktop Music Handbook. http://www.cakewalk.com/tips/desktop.asp

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    boten
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: How can I make it so MIDI is heard out of the program? 2005/08/13 10:57:02 (permalink)
    To make it even simpler: Expecting a midi file to produce any sound by itself is like having a word file open and expect being able to to play audio like in Windows Media Player. MIDI is M.I.D.I.: Musical Instrument Digital Interface and that's all it is. Sorry to dissapoint you.
    HalvettesEld
    RE: How can I make it so MIDI is heard out of the program? 2005/08/13 19:31:13 (permalink)
    so there is no way that MIDI sounds can be heard on a buned cd?
    sinc
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3116
    RE: How can I make it so MIDI is heard out of the program? 2005/08/13 20:29:54 (permalink)

It's difficult to tell what you're asking.

There is no such thing as a "MIDI sound". MIDI is simply instructions on which notes to play when. It's like the paper roll inside a player piano. The paper roll doesn't make any sound. Likewise, MIDI doesn't make any sound.

MIDI instructions need to be sent to some sort of instrument, then the instrument makes the sound. The device that makes the sound can be either an external device like a keyboard, tone generator, or drum machine, or it can be a software synthesizer. You send the MIDI instructions to the instrument, which makes the sound, and you record the instrument.

So, what do you mean by "transfer a track out of HS and onto the desktop"?
    What instrument are you using to play your MIDI clips?
    How do you have HS setup? How many tracks, what kind, what inputs and outputs for each track?
    HalvettesEld
    RE: How can I make it so MIDI is heard out of the program? 2005/08/13 21:28:15 (permalink)
    Im using the MIDI cymbal sounds that come with the program.

Im just wondering how I can get the cymbal noise to be heard on the track after I trasfer it onto a cd. Because last time I transfered it onto the desktop, I couldnt hear the cymbals.
    afamwriter@aol.com
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: How can I make it so MIDI is heard out of the program? 2005/08/13 22:04:35 (permalink)
    I save my music made by Cakewalk to Desktop. From there, I open Windows Media Player. I find my song then burn it to disk from there. Also, a gooooodprogram to download is the Itunes program. It will allow you to turn MIDI into MP3. If ya don't believe me, then check out my website where I placed a few of my songs on the Soundclick website.

http://talktothehands.bravehost.com

Click on the yellow Soundclick button. Click the music button next to where it shows the amount of songs that I've placed there thanks to the Itunes programs' ability to transform MIDI to MP3. The band Rude Buddha showed me how to do this.
    Rick O
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: How can I make it so MIDI is heard out of the program? 2005/08/13 22:49:15 (permalink)
    As some of the defacto leaders and sages on this forum will tell you: start with the tutorials in the manual and the website. MIDI data is basically a player piano roll. It is what note you hit, how long you hit it, how hard you hit and when you stopped hitting hit. It is NOT the note of music itself. So you must assign that note to something that will create the sound you want based on that information: maybe a drum sample, maybe a synth pad, whatever. When papa says "bounce" he is talking about a Home Studio feature that makes it easy for you to do what everybody working in MIDI data has to do at some point to get their stuff heard: assign it to some sounds/voices.

A good book that is entertaining but full of useful information and tons of websites is Secrets of Digital Studio by QUE. It is a bit old (2002) but starts at teh VERY beginning but moves quickly into practical aspects of making music on a PC.

Sonar X2 Essential
    Mofit ES
    Roland SPD 11
    SR 16
    MicroLite 5 in 5 out midi USB
    liebre
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 622
    RE: How can I make it so MIDI is heard out of the program? 2005/08/14 01:10:41 (permalink)
    Halvettes:

I don't know what you mean by "the sounds that came with the program". You really need to give more details in order to get some help. MIDI tracks don't make any sound unless their routed to an instrument. You're probably using the built-in synth on your sound-card. In order to get that sound to mix in with your audio you have to record it as an audio track. Go to your windows sound mixer and set the record source to "What you hear" and arm a track to record. Solo the midi track and hit record. Your soundcard synth will play back the MIDI track and Cakewalk will record it. You can then mix it in like any other audio track. Reading some of the stuff people linked here will really help you figure out what's going on.
    post edited by liebre - 2005/08/14 01:17:02
    DonnyAir
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1201
    RE: How can I make it so MIDI is heard out of the program? 2005/08/14 08:28:50 (permalink)
    Im just wondering how I can get the cymbal noise to be heard on the track after I trasfer it onto a cd. Because last time I transfered it onto the desktop, I couldnt hear the cymbals.

More info as to your setup would be helpful, but for right now, given the limited info,
    I'll try to take a shot at helping here.

I believe the problem you are encountering Halv, is that you are mixing the song down
    (this is what I think he means when he says "transfers to desktop"), but because the cymbals are midi in source, while you hear the cymbals playing while you are in HS, they're not ending up on your final mix because they are midi and you didn't convert them to audio first before doing so. You think the cymbals are really a part of the finished mix when they are only going to play within HS. Just because the cymbals are playing back through your midi device doesn't mean they are actual digital audio, and this is what every track has to be in order to end up on your final CD.

And to answer your question, no. There is no way to bring out something that wasn't there to begin with on a final mix (again..what you are referring to as "moving to your desktop".).

Go back to HS, open the song file, and any tracks that are midi in source are going to have to be converted to audio tracks before you mix them down.

I think that helping to know a few key terms might help you to communicate problems more clearly. Phrases like "move or transfer to desktop" are misleading to those trying to help when what you are really referring to is "final mix" or "rendering", etc.

And, as stated above, it would be helpful for us to know more about what your set up is..

D.
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: How can I make it so MIDI is heard out of the program? 2005/08/14 11:05:06 (permalink)
    We've tried to explain that to him over and over and he just doesn't get it.

Maybe we haven't said it loudly enough!

ALL MIDI TRACKS MUST BE CONVERTED TO AUDIO TRACKS BEFORE YOU CAN EXPORT THEM TO A WAV FILE.

IF YOU ARE USING A SOFTSYNTH TO PLAY YOUR MIDI SOUNDS, THEN ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS SELECT THE MIDI TRACK AND ITS ASSOCIATED AUDIO TRACK (THE ONE WITH THE SOFTSYNTH) AND EDIT BOUNCE TO TRACKS TO A NEW AUDIO TRACK.

Its that easy. I believe they still sell tape recorders for the technologically challenged.
    post edited by daveny5 - 2005/08/14 11:10:55

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    HalvettesEld
    RE: How can I make it so MIDI is heard out of the program? 2005/08/14 14:19:19 (permalink)
    so how do I trasfer MIDI tracks into audio tracks?

Sorry if Ive been hard to deal with, I just dont really know all the stuff with computers, thanks for all your help and patience!
    boten
    RE: How can I make it so MIDI is heard out of the program? 2005/08/14 14:45:12 (permalink)
    BOUNCE TO TRACKS - SEE "BOUNCE TO TRACKS" ON HELP MENU FOR MORE DETAILS
    sinc
    RE: How can I make it so MIDI is heard out of the program? 2005/08/14 17:27:15 (permalink)
    Im using the MIDI cymbal sounds that come with the program.

That isn't an answer. Do you mean you're using the Edirol VSC? The Dyad? Maybe you're using a hardware synth on your soundcard - do you have a Soundblaster?

Continuously repeating your question won't help. We need to know your hardware, and how you have your tracks set up - how many, what type, and what inputs and outputs for each. The procedure you need to follow is different depending on what you're using as a MIDI instrument.

Have you tried Tutorial 9 yet? It's a pretty step-by-step guide to using the Edirol VSC...
    HalvettesEld
    RE: How can I make it so MIDI is heard out of the program? 2005/08/14 18:53:18 (permalink)
    I soloed all the tracks, bounced the tracks together into a new track, exported the new track and I still could not hear the MIDI cymblas. did I miss something?
    sinc
    RE: How can I make it so MIDI is heard out of the program? 2005/08/14 19:02:33 (permalink)

That isn't an answer. Do you mean you're using the Edirol VSC? The Dyad? Maybe you're using a hardware synth on your soundcard - do you have a Soundblaster?

Continuously repeating your question won't help. We need to know your hardware, and how you have your tracks set up - how many, what type, and what inputs and outputs for each. The procedure you need to follow is different depending on what you're using as a MIDI instrument.

I'm not going to answer any more questions until you start answering mine.
    HalvettesEld
    RE: How can I make it so MIDI is heard out of the program? 2005/08/14 21:22:39 (permalink)
    ok, im look into all that stuff and let you know
    8ftsq
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 230
    RE: How can I make it so MIDI is heard out of the program? 2005/08/14 22:04:08 (permalink)
    Any minute now I'm expecting Rod Serling to enter,and say...."Submitted for your approval...musicians...trapped in a thread with no beginning....no end....like a dog chasing his tail......

Athlon xp 2800
    a7n8x-x mobo
    1 gb ram
    m-audio 2496 PCI
    XP home
    Sonar Home studio
    Reason 2.5

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=335809
    boten
    RE: How can I make it so MIDI is heard out of the program? 2005/08/15 00:27:48 (permalink)
    I wish Cakewalk forum had this "lock thread" feature like others. Sometimes things are getting way out of proportion.
    papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: How can I make it so MIDI is heard out of the program? 2005/08/15 02:33:58 (permalink)
    Let's face it...Some folks just don't get it, don't want to do the work to learn how to "get it", and want us to draw them a picture so they CAN "get it"...This thread has become ridiculous...I'm of the opinion that nothing we've offered in the way of advice has even begun to sink in...

Regards,
    Papa

Regards,
    Papa
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1