Cannot Record Audio - Home Studio 2002

Author
Cleveland Park
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
2005/08/12 20:34:57 (permalink)

Cannot Record Audio - Home Studio 2002

I have been trying to record audio from a stereo tape into Home Studio 2002. The hardware setup is as simple as you can get, directly from the line output of my tape machine to the line input of my sound card. I know that it's working because I am able to hear the audio over the computer's speakers. Home Studio, however, does not "hear" the audio.

When I arm an audio channel for recording, the sound level shows a slightly fluctuating "noise" at around -40db instead of the signal from the audio source. If I stop the tape the "noise" is still there. If I disconnect the cables from the sound card It is still there. I messed around for hours with the all of the Windows volume control settings and Home Studio settings, but nothing eliminates the "noise" or let's HS "hear" the audio source.

I have successfully recorded audio this way in the past, so I am at a loss as to what is going on. I'm hoping that someone can provide some assistance, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

6 Replies Related Threads

bill durham
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 460
    RE: Cannot Record Audio - Home Studio 2002 2005/08/12 22:14:10 (permalink)
    Cleveland,

Are you selecting your soundcards input when you arm the track? In the track view, on the left side of the audio track is the input select.

BD

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/4/bdandfriends_music.htm

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/billdurham_music.htm
    Cleveland Park
    RE: Cannot Record Audio - Home Studio 2002 2005/08/13 07:38:56 (permalink)
    Thank you for your reply. I didn't have my soundcard selected as you pointed out, but that is only part of the problem. I experimented a little bit and I discovered that the audio engine has something to do with the problem. I found that if I follow these steps Home Studio will then "hear" the audio source:

1. select the soundcard
    2. arm the track
    3. turn off the audio engine
    4. start the tape rolling
    5. turn on the audio engine

If you then stop the tape, the "noise" is still there, but greatly diminished. This is obviously is a pain in the neck, there has to be an easier solution.
    bill durham
    RE: Cannot Record Audio - Home Studio 2002 2005/08/13 21:58:24 (permalink)
    I don't understand why you would have to go through that...seems a little strange to me.

Please confirm that you have run wave profiler on your soundcard.

When I do this, or record anything with my system..the normal sequence of events is to insert and audio track, select the source for that input..ie your soundcard input whether it be the left, right or stereo inputs. Then, arm the track. When you arm the track, you should see the audio coming from your source....assuming that your source is making sound. If you don't see the audio on the track meters, then something else is wrong. You shouldn't have to do anything to the audio engine.

BD

daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: Cannot Record Audio - Home Studio 2002 2005/08/14 11:10:57 (permalink)
    Sounds like you may have a bad cable. What soundcard? What Driver Mode are you using (Options-Audio-Advanced)? Should be WDM or ASIO depending on your soundcard. If those don't work, try MME and then go buy a better soundcard.
    post edited by daveny5 - 2005/08/14 11:17:02

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    Cleveland Park
    RE: Cannot Record Audio - Home Studio 2002 2005/08/15 15:25:50 (permalink)
    Thanks again for the replies. I am using a Creative Labs Sound Blaster PCI and my "Advanced Audio Playback and Recording Options" are set to - 1. Always use MME interface. Even when WDM drivers are available (I don't recall why, but my system needs this setting for some reason) and - 2. Apply Dither.

I'm sure a new sound card would be helpful. Can anyone recommend a good replacement? My antiquated system is as follows:

Pentium II, 450mhz
    512mhz RAM
    Windows XP Home Edition - SP 2

I would appreciate any additional assistance to help me get by until I obtain a new sound card. Thank you.
    bill durham
    RE: Cannot Record Audio - Home Studio 2002 2005/08/16 20:43:35 (permalink)
    Cleve,

Man..you are going to have a tough time with that machine. My first music computer was an AMD K6II 450mhz with 512mb of ram. It really struggled to go beyond about 6 tracks of audio. I won't say that it can't be done, but be prepared for some frustration.

As to a new soundcard, I highly recommend an M-Audio Audiophile 2496.

FWIW
    BD

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1