Drinks on me!

Author
c3011976
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2005/08/13 15:21:47 (permalink)

Drinks on me!

Help im going nuts!

i need help rigging up my sound studio install to my laptop runnin sonar 4, although i am computer literate

i am way opposite when it comes to sound engineering but can makegood music lol.

i got my7 self a korg synthesiser with MIDI outputs going IN OUT THRU and also seperate outputs 1 2 3 4 (1 being left 2

right)

i have a carlsboro 6 channel mixer (not really familiar with ne of it)

and my soundblaster audigy2 zs video editor just come in and its got so many different holes :)

its got stereo line out, stereo line in , audio out L-R video in , audio in L-R

ibeen playin with it for ages and now my head hurts so please please can som1 help me out n explain how to rig it up like i

were a alien

(i will send a sum for a pint or even 2 for who ever helps me out)

thanxs alot guys n girls

note:the only auxilary thing on my mixer is tape In tapeOut

also i have some studio monitors with built in amp.

im off to put some ice on my head .

1 Reply Related Threads

DonnyAir
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1201
    RE: Drinks on me! 2005/08/14 08:57:25 (permalink)
    You didn't mention if you had a midi card/interface or not.

A midi interface is going to be a must if you want to hook up an external synth like the Korg.

I'm not familiar with the audio/video card you are using; does it also have a midi in/out port? If not, you'll need to invest in a midi interface. because you are running a laptop you'll need this device in a USB style. I recommend one of the M-Audio MidiSport models.

Based on the info given, here's a basic setup :

Midi out from your PC to the midi In of your Korg.
    Midi out from your Korg to the midi in on your PC

(you'll need to configure your synth to accept and send midi information on the correct midi channels. Consult your owner's manual for this. Look for a section in the manual. It may be titled something similar to "configuring your synth for use with external sequencers")

Line out (audio) from your Korg to however many inputs you feel you need on your external mixer. Two (left and right) is fine to start with. The other outputs on the synth will allow you at some point to assign different synth patches to different audio outputs. That's what they are there for.

(more info is needed on the mixer...how many master/line/aux outs are available?)

Assuming you have the standard stereo out (2 outs) on your mixer, then send these two to the two inputs (left and right) on your soundcard. I'm pretty positive you'll need to adapt them from 1/4" to either RCA or 1/8" stereo jack. Radio Shack carries adapters.

If your mixer has outputs other than the stereo outs (sometimes labeled aux out or alternate outs) run these (L&R) from your mixer to the inputs (L&R) of your soundcard instead of the config above. This will allow you to send audio to your soundcard discreetly without having to buss audio you don't want recorded but still need to monitor/hear during song construction.

Now there are still a few potential problems you may encounter, and a few things I haven't touched on, but until you post more details about the mixer, I can't help any further.

does it have aux outs?
    does it have "alternate outs" besides the stereo outs?
    does it have a "monitor" line out? (sometimes labeled as monitor, sometimes labeled as CR, Control Room, etc).

Creative cards aren't the best on the block, although they can work okay.

There is a lot of very pertinant info missing from your post that is needed before I can help further.

D.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1