Can't move clip vertically without erasing others??

Author
gaotu1978
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 52
2005/08/13 20:50:52 (permalink)

Can't move clip vertically without erasing others??

When I use the Arrow/Nudge keys (in the 9-key area of the keyboard) and move clips vertically from track to track, if I have to move it over a track that already has clips in it, it will erase that clip. Why does it do that? Is there another method for moving clips from track to track without having to worry about it moving behind or ahead in the song? (I know that I can move the two tracks together - the one with the clip and the one needing the clip placed in it, and then vertically nudge, but it seems like that wouldn't be necessary.) Thanks for the help...

Also, how can I get Sonar to redraw the waveforms when they've been lost?

5 Replies Related Threads

glazfolk
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5253
    RE: Can't move clip vertically without erasing others?? 2005/08/13 21:24:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: gaotu1978
    When I use the Arrow/Nudge keys (in the 9-key area of the keyboard) and move clips vertically from track to track, if I have to move it over a track that already has clips in it, it will erase that clip. Why does it do that?

If I understand you correctly, you need to select Sound on Sound on the Record Toolbar, and it also helps to enable Show Track Layers.

Also, how can I get Sonar to redraw the waveforms when they've been lost?

Delete all the .WOV files frfom your Picture Cache (after closing Sonar). This will force Sonar to redraw them when you next open the project file.

Geoff Francis - Huon Delta Studios

AMD Opteron 246 2GHZ twin CPU
    Tyan S2875 AVRF Dual M'board
    2 Gig RAM, Three Monitors w NVIDIA GeForce FX5700
    Alesis iO26, 2 NTFS Seagate HD
    DigitalDesign Speakers
    gaotu1978
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: Can't move clip vertically without erasing others?? 2005/08/13 22:12:57 (permalink)
    The Sound on Sound was activated. That doesn't have an effect on that problem.

Where can I find the Picture Cache?
    glazfolk
    RE: Can't move clip vertically without erasing others?? 2005/08/13 22:28:51 (permalink)
    The Sound on Sound was activated. That doesn't have an effect on that problem.

Then your default may be set to "Replace Old with New" rather than "Blend Old With New". Right click over the clips pane, select Drag and Drop Options from the menu and choose "Blend Old With New". While you're testing, it's not a bad idea to leave this on 'Ask Every Time" - you can change that when you're happy everything's OK.

Where can I find the Picture Cache?

Options, Global, Audio Data will tell you where your picture cache folder is. Usze Windows Explorer to find it and delete all .WOV files (but dn't delete the folder itself).

Geoff Francis - Huon Delta Studios

AMD Opteron 246 2GHZ twin CPU
    Tyan S2875 AVRF Dual M'board
    2 Gig RAM, Three Monitors w NVIDIA GeForce FX5700
    Alesis iO26, 2 NTFS Seagate HD
    DigitalDesign Speakers
    Antifreeze
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: Can't move clip vertically without erasing others?? 2005/08/14 04:19:58 (permalink)

> Is there another method for moving clips from track to track without having to worry about it moving
    > behind or ahead in the song?

You can shift-leftClick-drag clips vertically. The 'shift' stops it from moving horizontally.
    I'm still working with 3.xx, so I don't know if that method is easier than using 'nudge' in 4.xx.
    glazfolk
    RE: Can't move clip vertically without erasing others?? 2005/08/14 06:03:24 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Antifreeze
    You can shift-leftClick-drag clips vertically. The 'shift' stops it from moving horizontally.
    I'm still working with 3.xx, so I don't know if that method is easier than using 'nudge' in 4.xx.

Or Ctrl-Shift-LeftClick-Drag to copy, if you prefer .... All these neat little mouse tricks are the same in 4 as in 3. I still reckon that gaotu's problem is more likely to be caused by having his drag and drop default's set to "Replace" rather than "Blend" though = nudge up (or down) in S4 is essentgially dragging and dropping using the keyboard rather than mouse - so your drag and drop degaults get applied just as if you were using the mouse.

Best, Geoff
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1