connections what goes where

Author
angie
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2005/08/14 09:26:56 (permalink)

connections what goes where

Hi All
Just joined a beginner and new to recording.

Is here anyone that can help me connect for recording with backing tracks.
I have the following equipment.
m-audio 24/96 audio card.
Behinger mx802A mixer
Denon PMA 680 stero amp

I want to be able to hear what I am playing while recording a guitar track to a backing track. Perhaps some one may have a diagram of a similar setup.
angie

1 Reply Related Threads

dana7
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 291
    RE: connections what goes where 2005/08/14 17:02:25 (permalink)

Hummm... you've got some decent gear. You should be able to do a lot with that.

Since you are in the guitar tracks forum, let's assume you want to record guitar...

I think I would plug the guitar into one of the mixer channels. Next, connect the mixer "Tape out" or "Main" output (for now, it dosen't matter which) to the "Line-in" of the soundcard.

If I understand the mixer correctly, it has a pre-amp for each channel. Set preamp gain to where a good recording level is reached when the channel "level" control and mixer "Main Mix" (A.K.A "Master") are about halfway up. Set all the other channel controls in the middle, including "Pan." Set cakewalk to record a MONO signal from the M-audio "line-in" -- Right, or Left should not make a difference. There should be signal on both.

Don't know much about your amp. If it has speakers, I would be tempted to connect it to the "control room" output of the mixer - if the mixer has one. Perhaps, on yours, it's called "Aux." That way, you can use it as a monitor and turn it up/down, on/off from the mixer.

Play fearlessly!

If that dosen't work, there are a lot of talented people here that would enjoy answering your questions.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1