Record in stereo or mono? Effect wise?? Do u play on that?

Author
Neel1
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 129
2005/08/14 11:42:04 (permalink)

Record in stereo or mono? Effect wise?? Do u play on that?

I've been working with Sonar for quite some time now. My instrument set-up is very simple: I use a Karma synth + an Ovation electro acoustic + some few virtual synths. But up to now, I was recording mostly in stereo for most instruments except vocal....But then when monitoring, I started to realise how much stereo and mono sounded different in the sound field in Sonar. Mono sounds always seemed to have more presence than stereo recorded tracks. You can more easily use pan effects with a mono sound and have more control on its place in the stereo field? Now, I think I will start playing a bit more on that? Should be making my overall sound more interesting!!! WHat do you think? WHat is your feeling about this??

"Step out of your cage and onto the stage
It's time to start playing your part"

Model: Intel Pentium OS: Windows 7 Professional CPU:i7-2600 CPU @3.40 GHZ Memory: 8.00 GB (2 X 4GB) System type: 64 bit operating system M-Audio Products: Profire 2626 (5.10.0.5082 1.0.8.1 driver), Sonar 8.5, Cubase 5, Reason 4 Model: Macbook Pro

4 Replies Related Threads

Steve_Karl
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: Record in stereo or mono? Effect wise?? Do u play on that? 2005/08/14 16:33:29 (permalink)
    The only things I ever record in stereo are instruments that have actual stereo content.
    Everything seems to work better for me in mono if it is originally a mono instrument.
    It's easier to pan them for one thing.

Steve

Steve Karl
    https://soundcloud.com/steve_karl
    SPLAT 2017.01
    glazfolk
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5253
    RE: Record in stereo or mono? Effect wise?? Do u play on that? 2005/08/14 17:52:25 (permalink)
    I agree with Steve. Also, you can use Edit, Bounce to Tracks to convert your existing Stereo Tracks to Split Mono if you wish. Especially offers you more options for panning,
    post edited by glazfolk - 2005/08/14 17:58:16

Geoff Francis - Huon Delta Studios

AMD Opteron 246 2GHZ twin CPU
    Tyan S2875 AVRF Dual M'board
    2 Gig RAM, Three Monitors w NVIDIA GeForce FX5700
    Alesis iO26, 2 NTFS Seagate HD
    DigitalDesign Speakers
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Record in stereo or mono? Effect wise?? Do u play on that? 2005/08/14 19:38:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Neel1

I've been working with Sonar for quite some time now. My instrument set-up is very simple: I use a Karma synth + an Ovation electro acoustic + some few virtual synths. But up to now, I was recording mostly in stereo for most instruments except vocal....But then when monitoring, I started to realise how much stereo and mono sounded different in the sound field in Sonar. Mono sounds always seemed to have more presence than stereo recorded tracks. You can more easily use pan effects with a mono sound and have more control on its place in the stereo field? Now, I think I will start playing a bit more on that? Should be making my overall sound more interesting!!! WHat do you think? WHat is your feeling about this??

The only time I record is stereo is when I'm arrogant enough to think I can get it right during tracking. The only thing I can remember doing in stereo is drum overheads and acoustic guitar. But only acoustic guitar if it's the main insturment in a very sparse mix and needs to fill the entire sound stage. In a mix with a full band I would record in mono and do two of them to pan later if I need a big acoustic sound. You just have to get both takes about the same so they don't fight each other or have them do different parts.
    psonicspot
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Record in stereo or mono? Effect wise?? Do u play on that? 2005/08/14 21:27:45 (permalink)

The only parts i sometimes record in stereo are the main guitar part, the main synth part, and maybe a background synth pad part to fill things out if needed. If i use audio drum loops, i'll also go stereo sometimes. Everything else is mono. Mono recorded acoustic guitar parts can sound really good when tweaked thru the Cakewalk Chorus plug-in and stereo-ized.

Too many stereo tracks will muddy up a mix and could cause phase problems.

- Billy
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1