Cakewalk Home Studio Questions

Author
fgimian
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22
2005/08/14 22:51:29 (permalink)

Cakewalk Home Studio Questions

Hello folks, I just have a few questions about Cakewalk Home Studio, if anyone can help me with any of these, that would be most appreciated. I wish there was a demo available so i could really try this before spending cash on it... so here are my questions...

- Rewire Power

I plan to use Reason in Cakewalk Home Studio, the site says 64 audio channels, does that include Rewire channels ? Or do Rewire channels work separately to audio ? Also, is it easily possible to create a stereo Rewire track and route say, output 5 from Reason to the left of the channel and output 6 from Reason to the right of the channel ?

- Audio organisation

The one feature I loved when I tried the Cubase demo is the audio pool where you can see everything you have recorded (even if it has been removed from the arrangement). How does this work in Cakewalk ? so for example, I record 3 takes of a vocal track, I like take 3 and remove take 1 and 2 from the arrangement. At a later date, I decide I want to go back to take 1, how do I find take 1 ??

- Insert, Group & Send Limits

This is an important point not mentioned on the Cakewalk site. Are the number of inserts per track limited ? Are the number of groups or sends limited ? If so, to what number are they limited ?

- Direct Monitoring

I have an Echo Layla3G which supports ASIO2 and WDM, does Cakewalk Home Studio support direct monitoring of the input signal like Cubase does ?

I think those are basically my main 4 concerns, any help would be mostly appreciated, thanks a lot for reading my thread :D
post edited by soundpalace - 2008/09/15 23:52:52

6 Replies Related Threads

sinc
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3116
    RE: Cakewalk Home Studio Questions 2005/08/14 23:29:12 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: soundpalace

Hello folks, I just have a few questions about Cakewalk Home Studio, if anyone can help me with any of these, that would be most appreciated. I wish there was a demo available so i could really try this before spending cash on it... so here are my questions...

- Rewire Power

I plan to use Reason in Cakewalk Home Studio, the site says 64 audio channels, does that include Rewire channels ? Or do Rewire channels work separately to audio ? Also, is it easily possible to create a stereo Rewire track and route say, output 5 from Reason to the left of the channel and output 6 from Reason to the right of the channel ?

I believe the limit you saw would be 64 tracks, not 64 audio channels. Number of channels would be controlled by your soundcard. I've never used Rewire or Reason, so I don't know if you need two tracks for it, or just one.

- Audio organisation

The one feature I loved when I tried the Cubase demo is the audio pool where you can see everything you have recorded (even if it has been removed from the arrangement). How does this work in Cakewalk ? so for example, I record 3 takes of a vocal track, I like take 3 and remove take 1 and 2 from the arrangement. At a later date, I decide I want to go back to take 1, how do I find take 1 ??

A couple of ways. First way is to record multiple takes in one track, and mute takes you don't want. Second way is to record each take in its own track, then Archive and Hide the tracks you don't want (you don't actually remove them from the project, unless you want to delete them).

- Insert, Group & Send Limits

This is an important point not mentioned on the Cakewalk site. Are the number of inserts per track limited ? Are the number of groups or sends limited ? If so, to what number are they limited ?

I don't know. The limit seems to be high enough that it doesn't matter for most users.

- Direct Monitoring

I have an Echo Layla3G which supports ASIO2 and WDM, does Cakewalk Home Studio support direct monitoring of the input signal like Cubase does ?

No, but you can do hardware monitoring in your soundcard. It's not really a big deal, it just means you need to manually mute inputs in your soundcard software when you want them off.
    fgimian
    RE: Cakewalk Home Studio Questions 2005/08/15 00:08:32 (permalink)
    thanks a lot sinc ! :D

Guys, any further thoughts on rewire and/or number of inserts, sends, groups ?

not totally sure about the audio tracks, here's the direct quote off the cakewalk site

64 audio tracks and unlimited MIDI tracks

which makes me think they mean 64 tracks of audio playing simultaneously rather than physical channels.
    post edited by soundpalace - 2008/09/15 23:56:39
    boten
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Cakewalk Home Studio Questions 2005/08/15 00:32:14 (permalink)
    Cakewalk refers to a maximum of 64 audio tracks definitions. It is an aritificial number that you'll probably never be able to reach. My projects never go beyond 35 - 40 including soft synths.
    8ftsq
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 230
    RE: Cakewalk Home Studio Questions 2005/08/15 05:59:51 (permalink)
    I use Reason with Home studio (Rewired).When you insert the rewire device Cakewalk asks you about how many channels you want.The choices are all(64) or 1(hardware mixer L&r).I usually keep all my synth tracks in Reason,submixed by the mixers and effects in Reason,then into HS via the hardware mixer outputs.This way frees up tracks and visual space in HS.If you need to do some specail processing of a specific synth in HS,you can insert an audio track and route that one separetly from the others. I haven't noticed any difference sonically doing it this way.

Frank

Athlon xp 2800
    a7n8x-x mobo
    1 gb ram
    m-audio 2496 PCI
    XP home
    Sonar Home studio
    Reason 2.5

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=335809
    bbarnes
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1200
    RE: Cakewalk Home Studio Questions 2005/08/15 08:09:27 (permalink)
    Sonar HS 4 does have input monitoring by the way so you can monitor the input in real time with effects. I believe HS has had this feature since ver. 2002.

Bill
    fgimian
    RE: Cakewalk Home Studio Questions 2005/08/15 23:46:07 (permalink)
    thanks a lot for your help guys :D most appreciated
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1