How to change tempo and not stretch audio clips?

Author
Grudunza
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 611
2005/08/15 12:54:22 (permalink)

How to change tempo and not stretch audio clips?

I'm having trouble when I want to change tempo at a point in a project to record MIDI parts against, that the existing audio tracks stretch or bunch up and are then out of sync with where they should be. How to stop this? These are not Groove-Clips, just imported audio files. The only thing I've found possibly addressing this in the Help is about "enable audio stretching", but in Loop Construction View that button is off on all of the audio tracks, as it would seem it should be. So... ??????

Actually, in the situation I'm currently working with, I've got a video track (with it's accompanying audio track) and then the same audio track (minus backing music) that is synched with the video track. When I change the tempo, the video track (and it's audio track) stretches, but not the other audio track, so then it's all out of whack. Argh.
post edited by Shazbot - 2005/08/15 13:06:48

www.EricHermanMusic.com
Cool Tunes, Videos and Concerts for Kids
Over 60 million views on YouTube!

7 Replies Related Threads

Grudunza
    RE: How to change tempo and not stretch audio clips? 2005/08/16 09:12:00 (permalink)
    Any ideas about an answer for this?? I can't be the only one who this has happened to, eh?

www.EricHermanMusic.com
    tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: How to change tempo and not stretch audio clips? 2005/08/16 09:45:51 (permalink)
    You've encountered one of my biggest complaints of Sonar. Audio clips are only associated with Bars:Beats:Ticks they can't be associated with a timecode location. Which makes it very difficult to work with video whenever you want to put in a tempo change--as you found out.

Please go to the Sonar feature request page: http://www.cakewalk.com/support/featurerequest.asp and let them know that you need some sort of feature to lock clips to timecode.
    Grudunza
    RE: How to change tempo and not stretch audio clips? 2005/08/16 15:43:06 (permalink)
    Ack. I can't believe that's the case. It's not just for video scoring, but any project where there is audio and MIDI combined and you might want to change the tempo to record MIDI against without adjusting the audio.

www.EricHermanMusic.com
    jb
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2020
    RE: How to change tempo and not stretch audio clips? 2005/08/16 17:30:24 (permalink)
    he only thing I've found possibly addressing this in the Help is about "enable audio stretching", but in Loop Construction View that button is off on all of the audio tracks, as it would seem it should be. So... ??????

But if you enable looping then the clips do not stretch when you change tempo, which is what you want right? So, if you click on "Beats in Clip" in the loop editor and thus activate looping, you're good to go?

jb

Celeron 300A o/c 450, SBLive, Win98SE
    xackley
    Max Output Level: -45.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2973
    RE: How to change tempo and not stretch audio clips? 2005/08/16 18:04:34 (permalink)
    The WORKAROUND

Make sure all clips start at Bar 1 zero time

But be sure to pitch a **** to Cakewalk.

Van Gogh, seeing more that a vase of flowers.
    http://www.vggallery.com
    Newer Song "River", let me know if you don't like it.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=162668
    Viz
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 96
    RE: How to change tempo and not stretch audio clips? 2005/08/16 22:20:38 (permalink)
    Ive encountered a similiar kind of problem. I havent yet tried those suggestions the above nice guys given , but ill tell my problem anyway.
    I created a complete song out of Sonar and Reason, and added some singer`s vocals. Now after mixing the song and bringing it to a certain shape,, i realise the song was recorded at a much faster tempo than i originally intended to, so i reduce tempo, and WHOA!!!! the Vocals are seriously out of sync, i laughed at some moments, but was disappointed that i couldnt find a setting that would allow me to stretch the vocal track as perfectly as it was in sync when it was recorded. The Reason tracks and the Vsti i recorded were in perfect sync ironically though.
    metaprog
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 551
    RE: How to change tempo and not stretch audio clips? 2005/08/17 03:21:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Viz

Ive encountered a similiar kind of problem. I havent yet tried those suggestions the above nice guys given , but ill tell my problem anyway.
    I created a complete song out of Sonar and Reason, and added some singer`s vocals. Now after mixing the song and bringing it to a certain shape,, i realise the song was recorded at a much faster tempo than i originally intended to, so i reduce tempo, and WHOA!!!! the Vocals are seriously out of sync, i laughed at some moments, but was disappointed that i couldnt find a setting that would allow me to stretch the vocal track as perfectly as it was in sync when it was recorded. The Reason tracks and the Vsti i recorded were in perfect sync ironically though.

Frankly, I can't imagine a way to make that kind of mess sound good anyway. Who would want to stretch vocals? Ick.

DAW: Studiocat Core2Duo, Asus P5K mobo, 4GB 1066Mhz WinXP2 > Sonar 5.2 PE > Lynx 1 > VXP/GT Brick
    Mics: GT-66 / Guitars: Carvin DC400, Brian Moore i21.13, Ibanez JS1000, Morris W616, Rodriguez A, Takamine EG523SC-12, Peavey Fury bass
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1