help... why does it say...

Author
jhimboe604
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16
2005/08/16 00:13:27 (permalink)

help... why does it say...

hoe come my music creator says "cannot play wav" everytime i tried playing it during importing audio... can anyone tell me.. please it drives me nuts...

23 Replies Related Threads

bargainboy1
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: help... why does it say... 2005/08/16 08:59:37 (permalink)
    I don't know. Can you play the sample audio that came with MC? Can you play andy MIDI? Can you record audio and play that?

Jeff
    jhimboe604
    RE: help... why does it say... 2005/08/18 14:06:43 (permalink)
    thanks for replying....
    no I can't cause it says cannot play wave file... i have an audiophile 2496 card from m-audio
    bargainboy1
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: help... why does it say... 2005/08/18 14:17:54 (permalink)
    try running the wave profiler OPTIONS-->AUDIO--->GENERAL TAB and hit the wave profiler button.

If that doesn't work, follow the following setup tutorial:

Basic beginners setup tutorial: Robomusic

When you first get MC there are a few things that will be necessary to get it up and running. First to install it you need to fake out your computer to make it think it has an older version of DirectX installed, usually it is not necessary to actually install the older version, just go to support/music creator/FAQ/ and find the link for “dirextX 8.1 was not detected on your system” there is a patch there download it to a folder of choice and with the installation Cd in the rom driver double click that file and it will install off the CD making the computer think it has directX 8.1 . Actually you will still have DirectX9, and MC will not care in the least.

Now for audio, midi playback and recording setup. Open the program it will usually run the wave profiler for you the first time you open it. You will get two pop ups to start with first a Tip of the day box will display, if you want you can scan thru a few of those, when done close it then a project box will display, close that also. Go to the top of the screen and find options, left click that and a box will appear, find audio click that and another box will display it has several tabs at the top the first is “general”, you will see tow thin boxes that are named playback and record wave devices, they should contain the name of your sound card, if it does not then run the wave profiler again to see if it adds it. Once that is right set the buffer slider to around the middle to start with that will save another problem later. Go to the advanced tab and check the box “Always use the MME interface even when WDM drivers are available” this will force the system to use the older windows MME drivers just incase your sound card does not support the newer WDM drivers, and will give you another option for midi playback. Now go to the input monitoring tab and unhighlight anything in the large white box, proceed to the drivers and driver profile tabs and make sure that your sound card is listed there as well, click okay and go back to options/midi devices, here a box will display that has two side one for midi input and the other for output, if using a midi keyboard you will need to highlight the input that the keyboard is plugged into, for out put if your sound card has it’s own midi synth chip you can highlight that, if not highlight Microsoft synth GS, that is an internal synth chip that will playback midi. DO NOT highlight Midi Mapper, it does not play sounds. Now the program should reproduce both midi playback and wave file output.

One point to remember is that midi is not sound, a midi track or file is just a complex data stream, that tells a synth chip what note, instrument, volume, timing, velocity, etc. to play at, it takes some kind of instrument that can decipher that data and produce sound from it like a synth or keyboard. Audio files are actual recordings of sound waves on the hard drive, the two are vastly different, MC is a program that brings the two worlds together to co-exist.

Take the time to go and do the tutorials they will give you a solid basis for using MC. A lot of the folks that come here are beginners, and have read the box that says this is a snap and will have you making songs in a few minutes, while that can be true if your system is setup right, computer recording is complicated and has many variables. Be patient and ask questions, read many posts, and find other sites that are related to music, I personally have bookmarked 7 different forums that I participate in and many are far advanced over my thick head, so I am learning everyday.
    http://www.cakewalk.com/forum/tm.asp?m=316884

Jeff
    Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: help... why does it say... 2005/08/19 02:00:57 (permalink)
    If you use the MME drivers you will have Microsoft synth GS to play back midi, if you want better performance, then go with WDM drivers, you will need to use softsynths to play back midi but audio will work better. I also have the 24/96 card and it has work like a charm from the beginning, just set the audio in and out as deltal and the midi as delta and use the soft synth that you collect from the net.

I am in the process of putting together a CD rom disk of everything one needs to use MC both midi and audio, soft synths, sound fonts, VSTis, instruments, and tutorials, it will sell for around $15. if anyone is interested in getting on the pre order list then let me know.
    jhimboe604
    RE: help... why does it say... 2005/08/19 02:24:45 (permalink)
    okau guys... thanks for replying... iw ill try to do what you've mentioned and i will let you know the outcome okay thanks
    Robomusic
    RE: help... why does it say... 2005/08/19 03:04:21 (permalink)
    Yes follow up with a detailed description of what happened.
    jhimboe604
    RE: help... why does it say... 2005/09/05 04:21:07 (permalink)
    hello Guys... I tried all the things that must be done... then eureka it was alright for a time and then it went back to the problem again... up to now it still says " cannot play wav file"... anyway... i want to upgrade to music crator v2... i'm just wondering how many aux bus can i have with version 2?
    Robomusic
    RE: help... why does it say... 2005/09/05 21:33:28 (permalink)
    if it worked for a while, then stopped you lost the setup and that is puzzling. do the setup again, not seeing wave file is caused by not having the drivers setup right. I have that card and it works flawlessly. if it keeps losing the setup then you need to ininstall and re-install. cause that should not happen.

As far as busses. i believe that MC still only allows two, to get more you need Home Studio at least.
    jhimboe604
    RE: help... why does it say... 2005/09/06 00:43:20 (permalink)
    Cool yeah it;s kinda strange... i'll just work around with it i guess
    have anyone tried the sonar home studio version 4? i'm thinking between music creator and sonar home studio... which on eshould i really choose money wise and best value?
    jhimboe604
    RE: help... why does it say... 2005/09/06 01:05:22 (permalink)
    hey how does aux buss work?
    Robomusic
    RE: help... why does it say... 2005/09/06 02:40:01 (permalink)
    MC is based on the old Sonar 1 program, while HS Sonar 4 is from Sonar 4.0, and it has a far superior audio engine.

Aux busses are used for routing audio thru an effect. Example, you want reverb on your tracks, but not on all tracks, just some, you could put a reverb plug in the fx bin of each, but after a while that takes it's toll on the CPU running several effects, enter the aux buss, place a reverb in the aux buss, and route the individual tracks thru it adjusting the amount of effect you want on each, maybe the vocal gets more reverb than the bass, and the drums more that the piano. you use the Aux send and return to custom adjust how much you want.
    jhimboe604
    RE: help... why does it say... 2005/09/06 17:16:07 (permalink)
    oh I C... so if you were me you would go for sonar homestudio eh? I guess that's where i would go..
    so aux buss are very useful then... i should try using them... this is very helpful how about you Robo... what cakewalk software are you using? And oh by the way I saw a thread here about Session drummer and all where can i find that again... i want to learn how to use session drummer... okay thanks and GOd bless
    jhimboe604
    RE: help... why does it say... 2005/09/06 20:14:51 (permalink)
    One more question... How can you turn a midi into a audio file? FOr example... I ahve a song and i used session drummer for my persussion groove... now i'm wondering if I can turn that session drummer midi into an audio file within the project?
    Robomusic
    RE: help... why does it say... 2005/09/07 00:07:57 (permalink)
    Yes Sonar HS is far superior to MC, that is the cake version i want to get.

I use only MC 2003, It does what i want as I only use cake as a midi works program, i take midi that needs to be altered and do musical surgery on it in MC, for a full featured sequencer and audio program i use Multitrack studios, not because Cake will not do what it does, but because I would have had to pay far more for a cake version that does what MTS will do , I feel it rivals Sonar HS and in some ways exceeds it, it uses DX, and VSTi, and does not need a wrapper, It does midi and audio equally well, and is easier to setup and has far less glitches, it also plays nice with more sound cards, and it has a built in sampler, that does sound fonts, plus 19 excellent effects that come with it, so I can do a complete project without a hassle.

Does that mean that i do not like cake anymore, no it is just that for the dollars MTS gives me more, If I could afford Sonar Producers edition, I might use it exclusively, but it is $500 at the discount stores, MTS cost me $69 for the pro version and an upgrade cost of $60 more for the pro plus version, that i will buy when the new release comes out, i hear in Oct., maybe when the bugs are worked out in Sonar 5 i will save for it, but for now i use MC, MTS, and Acid to make my creations

To make midi into an audio track it needs to be converted to audio by being bounced thru a synth, the following tutorials will teach session drummer and using soft synths.

How to use Session Drummer
    Session drummer is a plug in that allows you to create a complete drum track it can then be opened in a midi track, and converted to audio thru a soft synth.

First open cakewalk and add a new Midi track and an Audio track.

Go to the midi track and maximize it, this is done be clicking the little box icon on the track itself. Now set your midi track fx to session drummer, you will see a long thin box that says fx in the left side and has two faint arrows in the right hand side, right click in the fx box in the track and a pop up will say midi effects, side the cursor to that and another box will open called cakewalk effects, slide to that and a bigger box will open from that click on session drummer. Session drummer will open.

You will see three boxes, Style, Pattern, and song. Style is just that the style of music the patterns work well with, choose a style and left click it. You will see a list of patterns in the pattern window. You can audition those to see what you want by left clicking it once and then clicking the play arrow on the top tool bar. One is just a click count in and one is silence, others have a basic pattern, and still others variations of that then, there are also fills, and usually an ending.

Find the one that is named “Soft rock 152 – Rock and Roll” in the pattern list double click the named “click” it should have been added to the song list below, Now double click the one named “SN fill1” It should be after the click in the song list, now double click the one named “Crash/Kick/SN/Hat” , now double Click “SN/Tom fill1”, double click “Crash/Kick/SN/Hat” once again and then double click “SN fill2” Now count the measures that you have added, session drummer will list these on the right side of the pattern list, It should total 18 measures.

Close session drummer, then go to the ruler bar (the scale looking thing above the tracks) left click near the 0 point, and drag until you highlight the exact amount of measures of your drum tracks on the ruler bar, stopping at the end of 18. This should also place a dark area in the midi track for the same amount of measures, go to the beginning of the midi track, right click in the dark area of the track, A box will open, go to midi effects/session drummer and click it to reopen it and slide it to the bottom of the page, move your cursor to the very beginning of that track, you should see a small square symbol pop up, click and drag open the drum track all the way to the end of the highlighted area, there should be a colored stripe with data in it now. If you are using a built in chip it will play if you hit the play arrow in the top tool bar, you now have a midi drum track.

Now you can enhance that by using a better sounding synth to play the track thru. Go to the audio track that you opened, and maximize it, go to it’s fx box and right, go to DXi instruments, and find Edirol VSC, click that. Edirol will pop up minimize it and go back to the midi track, find the output box, left click ant it should have the option of Edirol VSC, click on that, Hit play, it will sound pretty good. This same setup can be used for any softsynth that you have and there are many of them out there.

Now if you want the midi to become a wave file so you can add some real nice effects to it like compression or reverb, you can use the bounce to track feature. Go to edit/bounce to track, click that and a box will pop up, hit okay and a blue bar will proceed across the bottom of the screen. You will have a new track below the others, maximize it and right click the fx box and go to audio effects, find cakewalk reverb, click on that, go to presets and find concert, chose that close the effect, and hit play a drummer in a stadium. Have fun.

Using soft synths

When using midi tracks in CAKEWALK or any sequencer, there are many way to reproduce the sound from the midi data. One can use an internal synth on the sound card, or inside XP there is Microsoft synth GS, or you can route thru a soft synth that you download or install, some are synths, some are samplers, others use sound fonts, each has unique capabilities that you can use to reproduce midi data into sound.

Cakewalk only uses DX type instruments as synths unless one installs a wrapper type program, these allow you to use VST instruments and effects, VST is a trademark that comes from cubase, and anyone who makes a program that uses VST technology must gain access to that from Cubase, Cakewalk uses DX technology that is from Microsoft development. So keep in mind that at first you need to obtain effects and instrument that are designed with DX technology.

In order to use soft synths to replay a midi file you will need to play them through an audio track, this will allow the midi to be routed through a soft synth and produce an audible output. Here is what you need to do, and for this tutorial we will use Edirol VSC (VSC stands for Virtual Sound Canvas) but for all intents and purposes, this will work with any DX instrument, and at the end I will post links to several that you can down load.

First let’s go to a midi download site and down load a file, then we will open it in CAKEWALK and process it. Go to this site http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/creed90952/index.htm?mtbrand=AOL_US

Go down the page and find the eagles best of my love file, we will use this as the example, right click the file and then click save as target, save this file in a folder you are familiar with, then a pop up box will appear, that with ask you to open , click cancel.

Now open CAKEWALK and go to file and then click open, the open box will allow you to find the folder that you saved the file in( the file name is bestlove.mid), then when you do double click it, it should open in MC. Now you will have a file that has 10 tracks of midi, there will be one track that say words on it, ignore it. Now under the last track that is named “Ride”, place your cursor and right click, a box will pop up go up and chose “insert audio track”, maximize that audio track by clicking the double box icon next to the MSR on the track, then right click the fx box and chose Dx Instruments, (or DX synths for some version) and click on Edirol VSC, Edirol will pop up close it for now, minimize the track again, and then maximize each midi track one at a time and left click each output box and chose Edirol VSC as the output, then minimize each until all of them have Edirol as the output device. Now hit play, and the file should play thru Edirol.

Okay let’s learn to change up the sounds in Edirol a bit, go to the audio track that has Edirol in it and maximize it again, double click on edirol and it should pop up into view. Each track has been assigned to an instrument, this is because Edirol acts like a GM/GS synth like the one on the sound card, but with a little bit better tones. At the bottom of Edirol is a button called setup, click that and a box will open, change the generator tones to GS from GM, and slide the polyphony bar to 128 and hit okay. and then move Edirol down just a bit hit play again Now notice that you can adjust the panning, volume, reverb, expression, delay and chorus so if you want adjust a couple of those as the song plays.

Now that is the basics, you can use any DX instrument to do this depending on it’s personal attributes, some only do one track, other do many. If you want more than one synth, then open more than one audio track to hold them. You might want edirol to do everything but the drums and guitar and use sampletank for those, then open two one for each.

To get more synths go here http://www.kvraudio.com/ go to the side and see a box that has the words instruments, effects, host, etc. and click that then go down to advanced search, in box 1. click on instruments, go down further and find 2. and click DX, then down to 3 and click only Windows, then to 4. and click only free, then down to search. There should be 5 on the list go to sampletank, sonic synth, synth 1 and triangleII download each of these and they will work with CAKEWALK be careful to follow the instructions for each carefully, this will take some time be patient, this will set you up for some great sounds.
    jhimboe604
    RE: help... why does it say... 2005/09/07 02:14:31 (permalink)
    I thank you very much... Robomusic you've been a great help... Bargainboy1 thanks a bunch... And that is it for me on this thread... I've learned all the things that i have to learn and now i have to apply them.. but donn't get me worng I will still have many more questions to ask next time... I hope you guys will still be there to help.. once again thank you and God bless...
    jhimboe604
    RE: help... why does it say... 2005/09/07 02:37:16 (permalink)
    Oh hold on... the lessons above works well if I have midi and through out... but what if i have a midid and an audio file together... how can i turn the single midi into an auido file? Or is it possible?
    Robomusic
    RE: help... why does it say... 2005/09/07 03:49:58 (permalink)
    mute the other tracks and bounce the midi thru a softsynth to an new audio track, then mix down the audios to a stereo audio track and export that track alone. Bingo a stereo song ready for burning on a CD.
    jhimboe604
    RE: help... why does it say... 2005/09/07 18:35:54 (permalink)
    Yahoo I go tit very nice... thanks a million
    jhimboe604
    RE: help... why does it say... 2005/09/07 18:38:39 (permalink)
    Speaking of soft synth.... Can I use soft synth on audio file too or is it exclusive fo rmidi only? If I can how do I do that?
    Robomusic
    RE: help... why does it say... 2005/09/07 22:29:16 (permalink)
    A softsynth is aprogram that interprets midi and gives it a voice, to alter audio just use t plugins like chorus, reverb, phasers, flangers, etc. there are many of these little jewels, but softsynth are for midi files mostly
    jhimboe604
    RE: help... why does it say... 2005/09/10 02:04:47 (permalink)
    I see. So i can't use softsynth on audio files.... that's okay... hey do you think you could tell me something about mastering my songs... and a free program or plug-ins that i could use to help me out?
    Robomusic
    RE: help... why does it say... 2005/09/11 01:56:48 (permalink)
    I borrowed this information from a site I spend time on as well as here, there are some very eexperienced folks over at www.audiominds.com. One in particualr has helped me many times, is "Mac" he and some of the other folks there have straightened out a few misconseptions and helped me understand the art of recording. I have tried to share some of the things I have learned over the last three years both there and at Acidplanet.com and here at Cakewalk. So here is Mac's thoughts on recording, mixing and mastering, I hope it helps.

Recording: Proper Microphone Usage & Selection
    It's important to get a good sound going in. Don't expect to fix a bad recording with EQ and effects. If the raw track isn't clean, 'go back, Jack, and do it again'. Laying down quality tracks is the key to producing a quality product. Take your time during setup to select the right microphone and mic placement. Recording a vocal or acoustic instrument? Have the artist play/sing while you listen in front of the performer. Pretend your ear is the microphone, and listen carefully as you move your head around. It’s amazing how moving just a couple inches can affect the sound. When you find the sweet spot, place the mic there. It’s also helpful to put on headphones and listen carefully as a helper positions the mics. Are you left- or right-eared? If you don't know, take time to find out. Learning to trust your ears takes time, but it's a critical element of recording.
    Record stereo when appropriate. Acoustic guitars especially can benefit from a dual-mic, stereo recording. The phasing and frequency differences resulting in using 2 mics can add depth and fullness to a track. Also, using a 'room mic' (placed far from the source) can add natural room reverb to your vocals. You might want to record the tracks as a single, stereo WAV to start (easier for editing). Then when you're done recording and ready to mix, split the stereo track into seperate, mono tracks (easier for EQing & adding effects).

Awhile back, we had a great discussion in the forum on the 'Recommended Order of Recording'. These are Mac's thoughts, and Mac's thoughts are always worth noting. (Have you met Mac? Visit the forum and introduce yourself.)

You’re using proper equipment, right?

Low end sound cards have a mic input. It's best not to use it. Even an inexpensive mixer will have a much better quality preamp than a computer sound card. Connect your mixer (or mic preamp) to the sound card LineIn (bypasses the mic pre) instead.

Many higher quality sound cards house their analog-to-digital (and their digital-to-analog) converters in a breakout (external) box. This moves the converters away from the inside of the computer where electrical interference can create high noise levels. Sound cards with breakout boxes are more expensive but can produce much improved signal-to-noise levels. Some cards also offer balanced inputs & outputs. Again, this helps keep noise to a minimum.

DI (direct injection) boxes are invaluable when recording bass. An inline compressor is often wise for vocals and acoustic guitars. Have you tried a dynamic mic on that guitar cab? There are no hard and fast rules, but these are 3 setups that are generally accepted as best practices.

Record it dry

Most folks here agree that it's better to record tracks dry and add effects afterward. If you use effects during the recording phase, you’re stuck with them. Add them during the Mixing phase, and you have much more control. Of course, there are always exceptions.

Compression: Adding a compressor to the signal chain when recording a very dynamic instrument or singer can help keep the signal from clipping. It may mean the difference between keeping and trashing that perfect take.

Natural room reverb: Even the best reverb plug-in can’t match the quality of natural reverb. If you’re recording in a great sounding room, you may want to set up an additional mic (placed further away to pick up the natural room sound). Again, you may want to record the tracks as a single, stereo WAV to start (easier for editing) and later convert to mono tracks (easier for EQing & adding effects).

Electric guitar effects: This is often the exception to the 'record it dry' rule. Often, micing a guitar amp with full effects added (try an SM57) will give the most natural results. Record a sample of each, and trust your ears.

Record it hot (but not too hot)

When laying tracks, you want to capture a signal that has plenty of gain (volume). The higher the gain, the less chance that noise (every system has noise) will be heard. The process of setting each mixer channel for optimum signal-to-noise ratio is called Gain Staging. As you record, use the Recording LED to monitor the gain of the signal being laid. For the highest signal-to-noise ratio, the peaks of your track should hit just below 0 (zero, or unity gain). HOWEVER, shooting for 0 isn’t really wise for a couple reasons:
    The performer may play/sing louder than normal and actually clip the track. If you’ve ever heard digital clipping, you know this is a bad thing.
    You want to leave room (called headroom) to add effects. For these reasons, it’s suggested you drop the gain so your tracks peak around -6 db. Depending on the quality of your sound card (cheaper cards tend to be noisier) and the bit depth at which you’re recording (24-bit offers more headroom than 16-bit), a gain of -6 is a good compromise between signal-to-noise and the risk of clipping.

Keep it on time

For heaven's sake, start your project with a click track! most programs have a metronome, but many of us prefer to use a wave editor or drum sequencer to generate a click. Either way, convert it to WAV and import it into your song. This is the best way to assure a steady tempo. And a steady tempo is critical when doing overdubs.

Mixing: The Basics
    Now that you've got those great tracks laid down, getting them to sound good together is the next challenge. Once again, you've got to learn to trust your ears. Nobody here can give you a foolproof method of mixing a hit. A technique that sounds great on one song might sound terrible on another. So, take your time and experiment. But here are some general guidelines that most agree are quite helpful. As always, we can show you the basics. But your success will depend on how committed you are to listening... really listening to your tracks and training those ears.
    In the Recording section, we learned that moving a mic even an inch can greatly affect the quality of the recording. The same is true with EQ, compression, reverb, echo, basically every effect with which you'll come in contact. As you start to tweak your raw tracks, play with each settings and listen intently to how that change affects the track. Remember, presets are a convenience and a good way to get close to what the track needs. But the engineer who has diligently trained his ears will rely on them instead.

As promised, here are a few tips and tricks to get you started:

General Mixing Tips:

Start with a rough mix - Different engineers have different approaches to building a mix. Some will solo one track at a time and work on it to make it sound the best it can. They'll then move on to the next. Others prefer to monitor all tracks all the time. They say this helps them make sure their tweaks help the track sit well with the rest (AudioMinds generally recommends this approach). Whichever approach you choose, it's wise to start with the big picture in mind. Listen to the song, with all tracks playing. Listen to it until you really know the song well. Get in the habit of asking yourself some basic questions; 'What are the main sections of the song?', 'What are the main instruments in each section?', 'What is the best setting for the song? Small, intimate room or big concert hall?', etc. With the big picture in mind, start setting levels for each track (understanding that lead tracks will need to be louder than bed tracks. See Limey's Pyramid.), and for each section (understanding that different tracks will take the lead in different sections). When you've got a basic level-set for the entire song, your rough mix is done, and you're ready to start tweaking individual tracks.
    Make notes - We can't emphasize this enough. When it's midnight, you've been mixing for 6 hours, and you're tired, it's easy to forget what your plans were for the song. Write them down. Did you decide that the setting should be a small, intimate room? You'll need to remember that when you're ready to add reverb. Write it down.
    Work on bed tracks first - Bed tracks (usually the underlying rhythm instruments) are the foundation of the song. Set the foundation before moving on to lead tracks. In other words, once the rough mix is done and you're ready to start tweaking, work on these first. For pop/rock songs, it's very important to get kick and bass sounding good together. So kick and bass are often a great place to start.
    Use monitors designed for mixing - Regular stereo speakers are designed to make everything sound good; even a bad mix. Studios pay big bucks for perfectly accurate monitors. But decent near-field monitors are available for not much money (Radio Shack mini’s driven by a stereo amp work surprisingly well). Headphones, as a general rule, are not recommended due to their reduced frequency response and the way they distort a stereo image.
    Mix at low volumes - This makes subtle differences in instrument volumes more apparent. It also helps prevent ear fatigue. If you've commited to working hard to train your ears, fatigue should be an important issue to you. You can't make wise mixing decisions if you can't trust your ears to give you an accurate representation of the material. If you can't talk over your playback, turn it down. Read up on and understand the Fletcher-Munson curve. Be sure to adjust the EQ on your monitors to take this anomoly into accound.
    Give your ears a rest - The human ear quickly adapts to a listening environment. For the mixing engineer, this means that highs (especially) will appear to lose their brilliance rather quickly. Taking short breaks allows your ears to ‘reset’.
    Do frequent level sets - Keep a professionally engineered CD handy so you have something to compare your mix to. When applying effects, compare the dry signal to the effected signal often. Occasionally switch your mix to mono and listen for phasing problems. Listen to your mix at low volume, high volume, from outside the room, in the car, on the home stereo, anywhere you can. Remember that you’re mixing for many different users listening on many different types and qualities of equipment.

Mastering: Ready to take your mix to the next level?
    Mastering has been defined as 'the magical step that transforms your pumpkin into a carriage'. We see no reason to disagree. Those who do mastering for a living and do it well are held in high esteem in recording circles; and with good reason. Their craft is largely misunderstood, and efforts to duplicate at home what they do in professional mastering houses are often disasterous. Still, there is hope. With dedication and determination, the home hobbyist can achieve reasonable results in adding polish to their masterpiece. Thus, evermore determined, we forge ahead...
    As you continue your digital recording education, you’ll find that mastering tends to be more art than science. Yes, there are plug-ins and programs that claim to automate the process; and many are helpful in adding sparkle to your final mix. But nothing replaces knowledge, patience, training, and attention to detail. As we expand our ear training to include the subtleties of the mastering process, one exercise continues to prove especially helpful:

1. Compare your work to commercially produced material
    2. Ask 'what's missing?'
    3. Make a small change and compare again
    4. Evaluate what you've done. Like it? Move on. Don't like it? Go back, Jack, and do it again.

Unlike the mixing phase where you tweak a track/group at a time, changes made during the mastering phase impact all tracks in the song. For this reason, you gotta be careful and move slowly. Document your changes, take frequent breaks to rest your ears, and use those reference tracks as a reality check.
    Generally, EQ, compression, reverb, and final limiting are added during the mastering phase (not always in that order). In talented hands, EQ can help give seperation to individual instruments and create an overall pleasant blend. Certainly, seperation is easier to achieve during the mixing phase when you're working with individual tracks. Care should be taken, then, to accomplish as much of this during the mixing phase as possible. Still, much can be done during mastering. Also, a high-pass filter to remove rumbling low end is usually appropriate. Now is a good time to A/B your work to a commercial CD of a similar genre. And don't forget to switch to mono occasionally to catch phasing problems.

Proper compression settings can bring life to an otherwise ordinary mix. Use of a multi-band compressor can give you more flexibility and power in doing so. Adding a touch of reverb often helps add continuity to a project. Keeping in mind what we learned about placing instruments in the proper room setting will help you choose an appropriate verb. Just remember to keep it light.

Another challenge in mastering is getting a dozen or so songs to sound like they belong together. The mastering engineer has the responsibility of knitting 12 unique songs into a cohesive whole. Remember that each song performs a role within the overall plan of a CD. In the same way that a soft section in a song helps make a loud section seem louder, a soft acoustic song which forces the listern to sit up and listen can add impact to the raucous rock song that follows. Resist the temptation to over-compress every song in an effort to make them as loud as possible. Softer songs benefit from a higher dynamic range. So, plan to apply different compressor, EQ, and verb settings to your 12 songs. THEN, you can link them together and render a single WAV file. Once rendered as a single file, you can crop the beginning and fade (if appropriate) the end. Then you're ready to apply the final (and gentle) limiting to the very peaks. Try a 2:1 ratio with a high threshold.

Take a break; you deserve it. Besides, you'll want to refresh your ears and then go back and double-check your work.
    jhimboe604
    RE: help... why does it say... 2005/09/14 02:59:57 (permalink)
    thanks a whole bunch man.. i'm working on something right now... thanks again and GOd bless
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1