Offsite record then import audio track, S2.2 to S4PE ... can do?

Author
thndrsn
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 475
2005/08/16 02:50:09 (permalink)

Offsite record then import audio track, S2.2 to S4PE ... can do?

Hi,
I'm wondering if the following scenario is a doable proposition:

Say I have a project in SONAR 4PE with lots of MIDI and audio tracks, and I want to add an audio track, but must go out of my studio to do that. I don't want to transport my entire desktop DAW and peripherals out of town to record a sax player or vocalist who can't come to me, for example.

If I take my SONAR 2.2XL laptop to the recording site (quieter than my own, let's say) and record the live saxephone track to a backing/click track in a SONAR 2.2XL project set to the same tempo (with softsynths playing the necessary rhythm tracks), can I then import the sax audio track into the SONAR 4PE project and have it play in sync to the existing tracks?

Is there a sure-fire way to make this work? Would it be automatically guaranteed to sync up if the tempos were the same? Otherwise, would the time-stretch feature permit fine-tuning to get precise alignment?

Has anyone out there done this sucessfully? (Disclaimer: I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to. I'm just wondering what to expect.)

--thndrsn

post edited by thndrsn - 2005/08/16 02:57:28

Beethoven was right: the bigger the stream, the deeper the tone.

4 Replies Related Threads

eric_peterson
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Offsite record then import audio track, S2.2 to S4PE ... can do? 2005/08/16 08:17:16 (permalink)
    We have done something similar with drums. We do the mixdown audio operation and create a mix for the drummer (who does not use SONAR) with a click track instead of MIDI drums. We mail this exported stereo track to him, tell him the sample rate, he imports it, records multiple mics (up to 11 or 13) depending on the song, then mails raw wave files (1 per mic) back to us on a CDR. We then import his wave files at sample position zero and everthing lines up for all of the mic channels. Getting the sample rate the same is the key, as well as aligning everything at sample zero.
    thndrsn
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 475
    RE: Offsite record then import audio track, S2.2 to S4PE ... can do? 2005/08/17 01:47:02 (permalink)
    eric,
    Thank you. That is very encouraging!
    --thndrsn

Beethoven was right: the bigger the stream, the deeper the tone.
    Qwerty69
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1435
    RE: Offsite record then import audio track, S2.2 to S4PE ... can do? 2005/08/17 04:54:07 (permalink)
    I can also say that I have done this fairly successfully to record drums in a "real" studio. The main things I learnt were -

- Bleed is a ****. While you need a click track to synch things up later, (at least at the beginning of the track), trying to remove it out of cymbal fade-outs wasn't a lot of fun.
    - Use a low-freq click so if it does bleed it won't stick out like the proverbial shag on a rock.
    - Create bounce mixes of the song and the click so you aren't reliant on anything complex and can just record against two .WAV files -- or one if you can live without the click. Keep the source files in the file but archived so you can get them back if you need to hugely alter the mix for the artist you are recording.

Rock on - just do it - you should be fine.

Any drift you experience between the two DAWs if set at the same tempo and using the same sequencer should be so absolutely minute and negligible it becomes irrelevant.

Game On I say!

:) Q.
    eric_peterson
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Offsite record then import audio track, S2.2 to S4PE ... can do? 2005/08/17 10:55:29 (permalink)
    Bleed is a ****. While you need a click track to synch things up later, (at least at the beginning of the track), trying to remove it out of cymbal fade-outs wasn't a lot of fun.
    - Use a low-freq click so if it does bleed it won't stick out like the proverbial shag on a rock.

Our remote drummer must wear headphones, because we haven't had any bleed problems from the click track.

Also, I am now set up in my own studio with a fully mic'd kit and a pair of high isolation closed back headphones. I haven't heard any click bleed in anything I've recorded either.

post edited by eric_peterson - 2005/08/17 11:01:17
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1