a few questions on functionality

Author
sonichue
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12
2005/08/16 13:16:05 (permalink)

a few questions on functionality

i use pro audio 5.0 (circa '96?). i am a bit overwhelmed by all the features of sonar, which i do not have. i hoping someone could help me clear through the mud, to see if it could be of use to me.

the questions:

1) can the regular version to play SF2 soundfonts, or only XL?
2) can i use all the instruments with conventional soundcard output?
(currently i can play sf2's, but only through my e-mu soundcard, not the plain soundblaster compatible card)
3) are any of the guitarist features included in sonar, or is that in guitar tracks only?
4) will i have any problem opening or using any of my older .wrk files?
5) how does sonar home studio manage links to external audio files? is audio stored within the sonar files?

and finally... is calling the commerical grade product "sonar" as well as home studio "sonar" a point of confusion, or is it just me? in other words, should i have posted this in the "SONAR" forum, or does the "home studio" forum mean the "sonar home studio forum"? (this one is a bit rhetorical. i'm just saying it's confusing.)

thanks.

6 Replies Related Threads

papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: a few questions on functionality 2005/08/16 13:50:19 (permalink)
    Most of the answers you seek can be found on the SHS page at cakewalk.com

Yes.

(currently i can play sf2's, but only through my e-mu soundcard, not the plain soundblaster compatible card)

I don't know what you mean by "conventional soundcard output"...Why are you trying to use the (inferior) soundblaster instead of the E-Mu?

3) are any of the guitarist features included in sonar, or is that in guitar tracks only?

I'm not sure what you're asking here...

No...

5) how does sonar home studio manage links to external audio files? is audio stored within the sonar files?

You can dictate where you want audio (and other file) stored.

Regards,
    Papa
    post edited by papa2004 - 2005/08/16 13:56:58

Regards,
    Papa
    sonichue
    RE: a few questions on functionality 2005/08/16 20:27:18 (permalink)

Thanks for the response.

On the regular SHS page, they say that it will play "Sfz". I thought this might include Sf2, but didn't know for sure. On this topic, then, what's the point of the Dyad DXi sampler in XL? (they do specify that Dyad plays Sf2).

The e-mu soundcard is definitely superior, and was about as expensive as the whole box when I bought it, but sometimes I don't need it and it's more complicated to use. For instance, the analog output is 1/4", generally requiring a mixer or esoteric adapters. Sometimes I 1/8" -> RCA into a cheap boombox, using keyboard controls for volume. The em-u software rocks, but it's tricky.

About guitar, are any of the modeling features included? Cakewake is my sequencer of choice, and it seems to do a fine job with audio, but guitar tracks might be overkill.

daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: a few questions on functionality 2005/08/16 23:04:10 (permalink)

and finally... is calling the commerical grade product "sonar" as well as home studio "sonar" a point of confusion, or is it just me? in other words, should i have posted this in the "SONAR" forum, or does the "home studio" forum mean the "sonar home studio forum"? (this one is a bit rhetorical. i'm just saying it's confusing.)

1) Well.... if you download the free SFZ soundfont player, you don't need XL to play soundfonts. To me, Dyad is a disappointment.
    2) Yes, but the quality of your soundcard DOES make a difference
    3) What guitarist features? Tab? I don't think it supports Tab notation. Can you record a guitar? Yes.
    4) Probably not
    5) CWP files only contain pointers to the audio tracks. If you save to a CWB file, it will save the audio tracks and everything else to a single file.
    6) The latest version of Home Studio is called Sonar Home Studio. Its a somewhat stripped down version of Sonar with some different features geared towards Home Studio users. Its very powerful and if you outgrow it, Cakewalk offers discounts on upgrades to their higher function products.

Dave

post edited by daveny5 - 2005/08/16 23:10:05

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    papa2004
    RE: a few questions on functionality 2005/08/17 00:10:07 (permalink)
    About guitar, are any of the modeling features included? Cakewake is my sequencer of choice, and it seems to do a fine job with audio, but guitar tracks might be overkill.

I'm not sure what you mean in saying HS does a "fine job with audio, but guitar tracks might be overkill". Guitar tracks ARE audio, and HS handles them just as well as any other instrument...What's your concern there?

As far a modeling features, HS2XL includes "AmpSim" which is a DX plugin offering 8 amp models, several cabinet configurations, direct out, 3-band EQ, Tremolo, Drive, Presence and volume faders. You can tweak any of the amp models (or the direct out) and them same them as user presets for future recall...

Regards,
    Papa

Regards,
    Papa
    sonichue
    RE: a few questions on functionality 2005/08/17 01:58:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: papa2004

I'm not sure what you mean in saying HS does a "fine job with audio, but guitar tracks might be overkill". Guitar tracks ARE audio, and HS handles them just as well as any other instrument...What's your concern there?

Sorry. For edification, I'm a songwriter, but I'm also technically inclined. The technical side tends to dominate, and I absolutely have to use it to record by myself. So if I buy software with 5 gazillion features and simulated buttons and knobs de jour, I have a tendency to at least figure out how they work and not do anything creative. So when I write "guitar tracks", I'm talking about the software. I would be looking for something that makes direct electric guitar usable tone-wise, besides just being able to record it, and not be blugeoned with myriad functionality. I supposed I would be looking for a stripped down version of amplitude or revalver.

A free SFZ player? I didn't see that in downloads.
    post edited by sonichue - 2005/08/17 02:05:14
    papa2004
    RE: a few questions on functionality 2005/08/17 04:17:40 (permalink)
    Then you should have no problems using HS2XL...

Regards,
    Papa

Regards,
    Papa
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1