Sonar w/Giga? Kontakt 2?

Author
PaulGreblick
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 115
2005/08/16 16:47:11 (permalink)

Sonar w/Giga? Kontakt 2?

Howdy,

I just visited the Northern Sounds forums and it seems that some Sonar users are experiencing significant issues with Gigastudio 3 and Sonar 4. I have just received both Gigastudio and Kontakt 2 and would really like to stay with one or the other, but am willing to sacrifice "features" for stability and performance reasons.

Can anyone share their positive/not-so-positve experiences with Giga? How about Kontakt 2?

Here's a silly question - why, besides the libraries (and even then with the tranlation/conversion programs available), would someone choose Giga over Kontakt anyway? Or VV?

Thanks a lot,

- Paul

7 Replies Related Threads

xohol
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 342
    RE: Sonar w/Giga? Kontakt 2? 2005/08/16 16:50:59 (permalink)
    a couple years ago i installed giga.... it seemed to take over my machine so i uninstalled it and never used it again. i love kontakt 2, alot.
    Bransonkeys
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: Sonar w/Giga? Kontakt 2? 2005/08/16 23:49:21 (permalink)
    I use giga 2.5 with sonar 4.0.3 on the same computer all the time with various roland modules. I love giga. I use it mainly for strings and brass and also bass. I use larry seyers upright for jazz and blugrass and Will lee's 5 string sadowsky bass alot. I've been wanting to upgrade to giga 3 and get larry seyers new drum expansion. I love all of the different articulations for strings and brass and all of the instruments. I've haven't used Kontact so I'm no help there. I am curious as to how giga 3 and sonar are together. Happy Trackin'
    gigasonar
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 56
    RE: Sonar w/Giga? Kontakt 2? 2005/08/17 07:25:41 (permalink)
    I love Giga too, and have been fan since summer 2000 when Gigastudio appeared!
    Now I´m using GS3 Ensemble, It's great but I wish it would be VSti instead Rewire!

Rewire doesn't work very well in Sonar, VSt fx latency is too high and you get only
    one midiport with 16 instrumnts instead of 64 as standalone! But mjaybe this is more
    fault than Giga!

If I was making decision now, I probaply go for Kontakt 2!
    Alndln
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1275
    RE: Sonar w/Giga? Kontakt 2? 2005/08/17 08:57:02 (permalink)
    I abandoned Giga for Kontakt a few years ago and never looked back.When I heard a lot of users were experiencing a lot of the same problems I did 4 years ago I jusy rolled my eyes,but some people do claim to have it stable(not too many) running on the same PC.Bottom line is,although Giga was there first and is still a great sampler,it is very resource hungry and really should be run on a seperate PC as it's strength is dealing with super large librarys demanding a lot of resources.Kontakt actually uses less CPU than most of my VSTi/DXi's and is solid on the same machine and plugin integration puts it way ahead of Giga in that regard.The ease of creating your own multisamples in Kontakt is the body slam over Giga for me.
    post edited by Alndln - 2005/08/17 09:03:14
    jeffn1
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 906
    RE: Sonar w/Giga? Kontakt 2? 2005/08/17 10:16:15 (permalink)
    My impression is if are producing orchestral work (for TV, etc.), Giga 3 on a separate machine may be the way to go. It appears nothing beats it in terms of its efficiency in handling mutiple tracks of large mutisampled data. So, for example, if you are using pro tools on a Mac, setting up a separate computer with Giga 3 for orchestral scoring would make good sense.

If you are working on a single computer, my impression is Kontakt 2 would be a better choice. I would think for most Sonar users. Kontakt 2 might make more sense.

jeffn1

If you would like to check out original progressive electronic rock, here it is:

http://www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness
    Asseli
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 223
    RE: Sonar w/Giga? Kontakt 2? 2005/08/17 11:56:26 (permalink)
    I remember that there has been already a discussion about this thread a few months(?) ago.
    We have both Samplers in our music school and I definetely prefere K 2 because it's easy to handle as an VST in S 4. I agree - like the above already mentioned- that rewire is not so fantastic as it seems in relation to GS 3. It seems to me that GS 3 overtakes the drivers of soundcards or whatsoever and the host S 4 is the looser. Anyway, it's a mighty thing - like a truck- and K2 therefore for me is more - although it's mighty, too- elegant (IMO, of course). GS 3 is good with two computers, like in old hardware times and K2 is sufficient with one machine, that's right. So I left GS 3 to my teachers - they are not annoyed yet- and use K2 in my office - a good decision for the boss, isn't it? ;-)

http://www.tango-manzana.com/ video/song: Trip To Tokyo
    new release: "Tango Bajo" by Asseli and Grupo Virtual feat. Nicolás Ascone (electric bass&voice); mastered by CJay, Florida.. Now ready for download at itunes, amazon, musicload and others. Enjoy!
    windkingdom
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Sonar w/Giga? Kontakt 2? 2005/08/17 13:03:43 (permalink)
    hello everyone in this forum>,i`m using gigastudio 3.10 and sonar 4.03,i remember when a bought gigastudio2.50,at the beggining was kind like this is a little monter sampler with the option of being,the big monster sample,now day`s,,i understand that for some people gigastudio is complicated,or not so user friendly,for we are musicians ,we want to plug and play,,i totally agree on that.,,,i also use the absynth 3.1,external sound mudules,and synth`s,,i got other programs running on the same computer ,like soundforge 6.0, vegas 4.0 & dvd. edition,waves gold 4.0 plug ins, more and more,,
    i accept the sound libraries from ilio & spectrasonics,,great libraries,now i`ve just got the vienna symphony full orquestra package,,to tell you the truth everything is working great,and still i`m going for kontact 2,for i like a full universe of sounds,and everything is running on the same computer,this is for real,,,but well he who say`s ,jarjajrjara i know it all,and this is the way,,,sorry and show me your work,and the quality of the composition and the sound quality,,,that`s what i like,congratulations to everybody and i`m shure we all come up,with great music,no matter in the end,if you`re using , the casio,roland`s sound canvas,,,whatever,,,inmagination is the name ,,to understand it. music musick musik,,enjoy your lives.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1