Train button on Audio Restoration

Author
PeterWhite
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2005/08/20 10:27:15 (permalink)

Train button on Audio Restoration

I am learning Pryro 5 and have some questions on the Train button on the Audio Restoration window.

The Help screen says:
Move the Now Time in your audio file to a section that has the kind of noise you want to remove. Start playing the file and then click the Train button. Click the Train button off when the Now Time reaches the end of the section

The audio file I have is a voice recording (done with a mike) and has a lot of rumble noise from the tape recorder when the sound was made. The file is 45 minutes long.

First question is: how long do I need to keep the Train button on?

Surely, the internal settings can be established without going through the entire file.

Second question is: when I have multiple tracks, should each track be cleaned individually or can all tracks be cleaned in one shot?

Thanks

Peter

1 Reply Related Threads

Gerlad
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 56
    RE: Train button on Audio Restoration 2005/08/22 00:46:14 (permalink)

Hi Peter,

Your question is a good one. My understanding is that just a few minutes of training should be enough. After that you should replay the track(s) with the training button off to establish how much noise removal to apply to achieve the sound you want. It does work because I have achieved some success with this in the past but I think there is a danger of losing some of the music as well. For instance I've had a problem with losing low note trombone growl and parts of the drumming. My experience is that this type of clean up should be used sparingly.
    You might want to look at Sonic Foundry clean up tools which will also work in Pyro.
    As far as saving the cleaned files, Pyro has the option of saving either way but I think it's best to save the entire session and then split it into tracks later when you have it sounding good.
    When using Pyro clean up tools, you can see the save taking place but with sonic foundry it appears as if the computer is doing nothing. The save is taking place. Just leave it for a while.
    Sorry I'm not more knowledgeable. I'm probably doing it all wrong but I really would like to know how the program identifies "bad noise". I'd love to hear from the experts.

gerry
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1