The Dream, take 2

Author
mlockett
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2099
2005/08/20 20:55:48 (permalink)

The Dream, take 2

I know folks aren't generally too enthusiastic about listening to later takes of a song, but this has gone thru some major changes, redid most of the drums, completely retracked the bass, guitars, remixed... based on lots of good input, especially Blinddog, ed_mcg, and nprime. Any comments are appreciated.

The song is at the SoundClick location in my signature, or 192bps mp3 at http://www.mixposure.com/song.php?songid=14385
post edited by mlockett - 2005/08/20 21:01:54

4 Replies Related Threads

reallifer
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 236
    RE: The Dream, take 2 2005/08/20 22:57:31 (permalink)
    Hi Mike,
    Hey, it doesn't sound like The Cars anymore. The guitar, keys and vocal all sound good in the mix. The snare sounds good but the rest of the kit sounds muffled. It seems like all the highs got sucked out of the toms and kick. The crash seems too low also.
    Thats my 2 cents.
    Troy
    BlindDog
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 985
    RE: The Dream, take 2 2005/08/21 00:36:43 (permalink)
    I don't know what it is, but I keep getting "Where I Am" on the Mixposure site. So it's over to SoundClick...

The guitar and bass definitely sound a lot fuller, wider, clearer. GREAT sep. I agree with Troy on the snare, you might try opening the snare EQ up just a smidge around 10-12K.

Can you move that pad (at 2:20) around in the EQ field a bit so it's not sharing the same space with the guitars? There's seems to be some really great high end texture in here that's getting masked by those lower frequencies, so you might try a highpass and get some of the lower stuff (<2k) rolled off.

Is it intentional that the toms are panned from the drummer's perspective?

I'm really geekin' on this tune, Mike. Thanks for the listen!

-Kevin
    Accidents "happen". Success, however, is planned and executed.
    mlockett
    RE: The Dream, take 2 2005/08/21 02:53:48 (permalink)
    Thanks Troy
    At least it doesn't sound like the cars anymore. The drums thing is strange... between versions, I boosted the highs on the toms and kick, and I didn't change the cymbals (except increased the volume a little). I did change EQ on the master a bit; I bet that's what effected the aound of the drums and crash.

Hey Kevin,
    Thanks for the heads up on Mixposure... I uploaded the wrong file. Unfortunately, someone has already reviewed it. :-) Oh well... at least it was a nice review. Hmm, I wonder if the change to the master EQ effected that sound.

I fought with that pad quite a bit; I think I'm going to consider it non-essential and remove it from that last chorus.

Whoops, the drum panning was accidental. Though I have heard of pro mixes panned from the drummer's perspective, usually they seem to be panned for the audience. (A strange convention in a way since the drummer is probably the only one close enough to hear the panning of his kit--certainly not the audience; I suppose it's like a carricature where things are exxagerated for effect.) Anyway, I'll do the audience-perspective panning, make the other tweeks and load another copy tomorrow.

Thanks guys for taking the time!!! It will really help me to get this song done reasonably well... at times, my ears are immune to what everyone else hears, and after I make suggested changes and hear them, I generally prefer them... I think it helps me train my ears and know what to listen for.
    mlockett
    RE: The Dream, take 2 2005/08/22 11:22:50 (permalink)
    I figured out why the drums lost some high end... I mixed the ambient sounds up, and since the ambient has less highs...

I reposted the song with the drum panning flipped (to audience perspective), more highs in the drums and a few minor tweeks. Also cut out a few crashes.

Thanks for the input!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1