http://www.moogmusic.com

I wish I had met him in person.

http://facproductions.net

Lots of gear. Not enough time.

14 Replies Related Threads

triscuit
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1860
    RE: Bob Moog - RIP 2005/08/21 23:47:13 (permalink)
    Oh man that is sad this guy dedicated himself to the synthesizer. It must of have been so exciting to develop it. The thrill of being on your last dime just to solder in one last part. We must honor his name and give thanks to him, for without him, we would not have cheap and readily available synthesizers today.
    Moog Foog
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 137
    RE: Bob Moog - RIP 2005/08/22 05:16:45 (permalink)
    R>I>P. Mr Moog......you were a genius. Never will be forgotten...your vision will always live and be respected.
    Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3458
    RE: Bob Moog - RIP 2005/08/22 08:21:05 (permalink)
    Guess I'll have to finally getting around to framing the photo I have of Mr. Moog and myself when I was fortunate enough to meet him at a trade show.

Thank you Bob, wherever you are, for all you gave to the world of music.

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
    meatbird
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 159
    RE: Bob Moog - RIP 2005/08/22 11:09:53 (permalink)

If I throw a stick will you leave?
    CloudWalker
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 799
    RE: Bob Moog - RIP 2005/08/22 11:15:57 (permalink)
    This is a sad sad day....

Cheers to Mr. Moog!
    woodamand
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: Bob Moog - RIP 2005/08/22 15:49:08 (permalink)
    I feel like all of us that make electronic music are his and Raymond Scotts' children.
    A sad day indeed..

check out the new Brain Transfer Project CD
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/braintransfer
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Bob Moog - RIP 2005/08/22 17:25:00 (permalink)
    We must honor his name and give thanks to him
    We (in general) can start with the correct pronunciation: Moog rhymes with rogue; not fugue. I don't know what to say; the end of an era. I'm not sure if Bob was a musician trapped in an inventor/engineer's body, or the other way around. He certainly was no businessman., but he hade his ears and mind wide-open.

Those filters, man ... absolutely nothing like it. They changed the course of music, but it was the voltage-control concept that made all it work. Seems obvious in hindsight, but it was pure genius. We've got Bob Moog to thank for his legacy; the fruits of which we enjoy every day. It could've just as easily been Don Buchla that changed the course of music history. The difference was that Bob listened to musicians.

Patchcord some inspiration this way, Bob. You'll be missed.
    Brandon Ryan [Roland]
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3458
    RE: Bob Moog - RIP 2005/08/23 01:46:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: b rock

We must honor his name and give thanks to him
    We (in general) can start with the correct pronunciation: Moog rhymes with rogue; not fugue. I don't know what to say; the end of an era. I'm not sure if Bob was a musician trapped in an inventor/engineer's body, or the other way around. He certainly was no businessman., but he hade his ears and mind wide-open.

Those filters, man ... absolutely nothing like it. They changed the course of music, but it was the voltage-control concept that made all it work. Seems obvious in hindsight, but it was pure genius. We've got Bob Moog to thank for his legacy; the fruits of which we enjoy every day. It could've just as easily been Don Buchla that changed the course of music history. The difference was that Bob listened to musicians.

Patchcord some inspiration this way, Bob. You'll be missed.

Brilliantly espoused and articulated as always Mr. Rock.

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel." WG

SONAR Platinum | VS-700 | A-800 PRO | PCAL i7 with SSD running Windows 8 x64 | Samsung 27" LCD @ 1920x1080 | Blue Sky monitors with BMC | All kinds of other stuff
    rabeach
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2703
    RE: Bob Moog - RIP 2005/08/23 02:31:41 (permalink)
    happy trails bob. thank you for your creations.
    losguy
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5506
    RE: Bob Moog - RIP 2005/08/24 01:36:19 (permalink)
    The passing of a hero and inspiration to many aspiring e-musicians (myself included). A real pioneer and true legend in his own time (despite the crooks that took advantage of him back in the 70's). Article1 Article 2

Psalm 30:12
    All pure waves converge at the Origin
    Jim Wright
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1218
    RE: Bob Moog - RIP 2005/08/24 17:35:47 (permalink)
    Bob was totally a class act. I was fortunate to meet him several times over the years, and he was "the real deal" .... just like a Moog filter. Bob was also a seriously nice guy. As one example -- when Arturia sent him a softsynth to check out, a few years back, Bob fired back pages of comments, and beat them up until they got the filters and envelopes working to his satisfaction. No charge. When they finally met his standards, he said "OK, you can call it a Moog if you'd like to" (They hadn't asked -- he offered). AFAIK, he didn't charge for that either .... I know he was really pleased that people liked the original Moog sound enough to go to those lengths to recreate it. That's how the "Moog Modular V" came to be.

The early Moog modular systems, and the music made with them, inspired me to get into the field when I was finishing up high school.

Thank you, Bob. You changed the world. And you're missed.

Jim
    losguy
    RE: Bob Moog - RIP 2005/08/24 17:52:33 (permalink)
    Jim, I think that story just sold me on the Arturia... and I wasn't even shopping for it!

Edit: P.S. Jim, did you ever take a look at the Moog filter? It turns out to be exceptionally difficult to model digitally*. Four transconductance stage integrators (for current-controlled frequency) with one feedback around the whole thing, also a transconductance stage (for current-controlled resonance). Current control got converted to voltage control using buffered resistors and/or current mirrors.

The transconductance stages soft-clipped very naturally and smoothly. But since they were part of the filter cascade and so inside of it, the harmonics got sort of "enriched" before passing to the output. Feedback added to the overall "richness".

If you do a root locus of the four poles as you adjust feedback, only two of the poles cross the imaginary axis. The other two go to la-la-land. So it had the rolloff of a fourth-order, but the resonance of a second-order. I heard that Moog described it as being a more "musical-sounding" filter that way. Anyway, it was pure genius. And I truly tip my hat to Arturia for getting Bob Moog's blessing on the result.

*(Well, with nonzero feedback, anyway. So you could say that the digital version of the filter was difficult to make resonant.)
    post edited by losguy - 2005/08/24 22:18:33

rabeach
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2703
    RE: Bob Moog - RIP 2005/08/24 20:29:11 (permalink)
    hey losguy i'm agnostic but thanks for the link to the hebrew lexicon. the concordance is very cool too.
    losguy
    RE: Bob Moog - RIP 2005/08/24 22:26:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: rabeach
    hey losguy i'm agnostic but thanks for the link to the hebrew lexicon. the concordance is very cool too.

Yes, I find that it's very helpful. There's Greek for both Old and New Testaments as well. I believe that the Greek OT comes from the Septuagint.

In case you're not familiar with Stong's numbers, they are a numerical catalog mapping of every Hebrew and Greek word. It works because letters are also numbers in both Hebrew and Greek, and so words map uniquely to numbers. By extension, word derivatives map to similar numbers. What's cool is that you can do a reverse lookup on words (kind of like Googling a phone number) and thereby get every usage of a particular word in the original language, free of any bias from translators. I like that because I can get the "real deal", straight from the horses' mouth, so to speak. And now modern computer-based search technology makes word studies very fast.

Hey ra, you seem pretty well-read, particularly because you mentioned that you're an agnostic and yet you are obviously interested in translation of Biblical text. Could you elaborate on your interest in these topics? No pressure...

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1